Operating System Denied Access to Authorization

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Coldhardglitch

Operating System Denied Access to Authorization

Post by Coldhardglitch » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Hey guys,
I just recently switched from FL to ableton and am having issues with the authorization. I checked all over the forums for a solution to my problem but couldn't find an answer that worked anywhere. I purchased the Ableton Suite 8 version with the educational discount. I noticed that it said that I could download the free trial license in order to continue making music while they verified my educational status and authorized my copy of ableton. The problem comes with the demo version for right now. When I attempt to get the free trial copy authorized I recieve an error message saying, "The operating system denied access to this specific file" or something to that extent.
So far I have tried to run the program as administrator and change the security properties and neither of those have worked for me and fixed the problem. I know that with the main version you could do an offline authorization on a different computer which I'm pretty sure would solve this authorization issue because that way the software wouldn't need permission from the operating system.

My question is has anyone had this problem and found a way around it or is there some way to get the free trial version authorized offline.

Thanks in advance for the help!

ChiefNugget

Re: Operating System Denied Access to Authorization

Post by ChiefNugget » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:08 am

I know you mentioned that you tried to run as administrator and it didn't work. Are you running it from an admin or standard user account? In a past Windows 7 installation I tried keeping my admin and standard user account separate. It simply resulted in too many headaches from software requiring authorizations and even when installing VSTs or even changing screen resolutions, etc. I've stuck with a single administrator level Win7 user account now even though it's a security taboo. UAC bothers me enough times anyway when that I feel safe enough. Not sure how Linux could have this user account security system so right and Windows could have it so wrong for so long. OK, rant mode off...
I need a baby sit my boys and work the day job plug-in.

Coldhardglitch

Post by Coldhardglitch » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:08 pm

haha no I'm with you and have only been using the admin account, not both. I think i have found a way around the problem for now. I managed to get Ableton authorized from the website alone but now I'm having a different issue. I was under the impression that if you bought Suite Max for Live is included. Am I dead wrong with this assumption because if its supposed to be included its not in my software. Whenever I try to open Max for Live it tells me that the software needs to be authenticated. I looked up the directions for getting Max for Live authorized and it sounds like I just need to have Max 5.1.9 installed and re-authorizing Live should authorize Max for Live as well. I have already used up my Max 5.1 30 day trial a long time ago so would that be my problem or do I need to buy a Max for Live license.

Thanks to anyone who can help with this as well!

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Max for Live is a separate license/purchase from when it came out (Live 6?) up to Live 8. Live 9 it appears M4L will be included in the *Suite* version only. I am also assuming they'll sell you a license if you went to Live 9 Standard but you'd a) lose out on M4L, and b) some effects/instruments/content additions. Now with your educational purchase I am not sure if you'd qualify for the update to Live 9 Suite. I suggest you contact support@ableton.com (I think that's the email address) to get confirmation on what you may be getting for free in regards to an update.

And last I checked M4L is <$200 currently and diff between 9 Standard and Suite is $140 ($299 for Suite for Live 8 Suite -> Live 9 Suite for my costs should I update next year). So contact support to get confirmation on your upgrade options and costs.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Coldhardglitch

Post by Coldhardglitch » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:33 pm

thanks man. Good info