Live 9 Beta Testers - What new features are you seeing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beatmunga

Re: Live 9 Beta Testers - What new features are you seeing?

Post by beatmunga » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:35 am

I've tried 3 times this morning to post something about Live 9 session automation on the beta forum and every time it has failed to go through...

Anyone else having any problems?
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:23 pm

oddstep wrote:[
I'm not following you, :| I'm saying that, features and content at Beta testing stage (Even closed Beta) is a demo of the final product (Near enough), not a sketch pad of a new product, which would be tested out in their offices and studio way before it get's to this stage, i.e a stage at which items could be completely droped of the product or open to complete re-work, all I'm saying is, to talk about a Beta at this stage of a product is surely not really a recepie for failure, however I don't know anything about the business end of programing and software marketing so it's just my opinion, not meaning to offend, :| really I feel which ever way you look at it, your into Live in this sittuation, because you like more than one or two of it's facets, and frankly I don't worry too much about buggy platforms, computers aren't perfect either if you get my meaning and the DAW world doesn't have to be perfect for me to get a sound out of it. big issues get fixed, and if not thiers normally a work around.

Peace out .. :wink:

Eric C.

Post by Eric C. » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:11 am

oddstep wrote:Perhaps they are sick of the idiot chorus that accompanies every move they make. Perhaps they are concerned about bitwig leaching their ideas. Perhaps they don't want to commit to feature set untill it is solid. I can't think of a good reason to share... Apart from 'I'm interested'.
So true, so funny!

TheCoil

Post by TheCoil » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:49 am

Ableton doesn't want the beta testers revealing all the features of live 9 because then we'll all realize it's not worth buying. they're hoping we'll shell out before it becomes apparent they left out the lion's share of what people were hoping to see.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:23 am

TheCoil wrote:Ableton doesn't want the beta testers revealing all the features of live 9 because then we'll all realize it's not worth buying. they're hoping we'll shell out before it becomes apparent they left out the lion's share of what people were hoping to see.
What a load of bulldust. I can't believe how much negative opinion is put out in this forum by the naysayers... and that's all it is, opinion, not fact. Thanks for sharing your opinion. 8O

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:53 am

Thare are both fanboys and naysayers. Well balanced.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:42 am

pencilrocket wrote:Thare are both fanboys and naysayers. Well balanced.
I guess that is so. Opinion being presented as if it were fact seems to be in epidemic proportions however, never great for a sensible debate (if that kind of thing is actually possible in any online forum).
:D

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”

gp23

Post by gp23 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:08 am

All opinion is equally valid. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Personally, I doubt that there are any more features hidden away, known only to the beta testers. Perhaps a few minor adjustments (which may still, of course, be interesting - some of which have already been revealed in this thread), but that's all.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:27 am

gp23 wrote:All opinion is equally valid.
We will have to agree to disagree there.
For example the opinion that "a womans body shuts down during rape" is complete bullshit. But plainly Todd Akin thought it was fact and perhaps a scary amount of gullible people might have been led to believe this erroneous opinion was fact due to someone in perceived authority saying it, and/or they were of the same political bent, or just wanted to believe that might be true because it suited whatever philosophy they held.

gp23

Post by gp23 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:35 pm

Wow. I thought we were discussing music software... :roll:

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:46 pm

It was a heavy example, but I agree. Not all opinions are valid. Some are delusionary nonsense.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:19 pm

gp23 wrote:Wow. I thought we were discussing music software... :roll:
Yes gp23, we are discussing Music Software, but the analogy was the best one I could think of to get my point across, heavy certainly, but I thought it was valid whilst we discussing the relevance of opinions. My apologies if I have upset anyone, I cannot speak for anyone else here, but honestly, I for one am truly sick of seeing opinions with no factual basis touted as fact, whatever the subject matter in whatever forum of debate. :roll:

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:37 pm

funken wrote:
oddstep wrote:It was a heavy example, but I agree. Not all opinions are valid. Some are delusionary nonsense.
it depends what you mean by valid. For example, someone could have a belief which is wrong, but there could be a reason why they believe that, and they have followed a certain logic to get there. What about groups with opposing views, eg the Palestinians and Israelis (generalising of course)? A rational person would not say one side is right and one is wrong. So while some Israelis might have good reason to want to bomb the shit out of the Palestinians, that would benefit neither side and is wrong. I'm not sure I would call it invalid though.

I'm not saying they are irrational by the way, but many are, and many are too caught up in it to see the bigger picture.
Well, we are getting even more off topic, but I that's my fault I guess... But to address your points, we might look at the validity of each parties anger and frustration at the perceived (& real) injustices being visited upon each other from both sides as being valid. The actions of both trying to bomb the shit out of each other are not[/i] however, and fail the logical test of 'will this de-escalate the situation? No. Will this potentially wipe out both sides if allowed to progress? Yes.'

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:00 pm

The arab israeli conflict is a complete mess with perhaps millions of people involved in infinite series of killings and retaliatory acts. Its horrifying. I don't know what their opinions are. I'd suggest that both sides are wrong, they don't have the right to kill unarmed civillians to advance their own political objectives. I'd also suggest that anyone who holds the opinion that killing human beings can be justified is also wrong. For the record I don't consider young foetuses human, so abortion isn't instrinsically murder. I don't know where the dividing line is Its easy to say that it doesn't matter what you think, that all opinions are valid and we should respect everyone's opinion. I totally disagree, opinions and beliefs shape actions and actions are the place where ethical stances have real consequences. If I believe in something I am willing to get off the fence. Generally, the actual result of beliefs expressed here doesn't matter that much .

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:23 pm

So any way, i really want to know more about what session automation is like and how it relates to clip envelopes. Also, loads of features in push look amazing, can everyone do those fancy clip recording things or are they limited to push owners?