Live 8 on a 13" retina display (pictures)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Daniel_S

Re: Live 8 on a 13" retina display (pictures)

Post by Daniel_S » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:32 am

Dudes, this is being blown out of proportion.

I also have the same rMBP and decided to not run it in "Retina Mode" as you just dont get enough productive space.

I run it at 1650x1050 and the extra space it brilliant on such a small screen without everything becoming too small - its a good middle ground.

When using Live at this resolution from a normal viewing distance, I honestly do wonder who can see pixelation!

People keep bashing Retina, but its just a marketing word by Apple to create some buzz. Basically, its a kick ass high quality, high res IPS panel - it's up to the user what they do with it.

Personally, running a 13" screen in Retina mode is not doing yourself any favours.

Forget the word retina and just adjust the screen res to suit your own personal taste - the native res is so high for such a small screen, that you dont get that poor quality image like you used to get on old panels when running in a non-native res.

Dan

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:45 am

@Daniel_S

When it is like you wrote I do absolutely agree. I suggested exactly that a while ago, but a mbpr user replied that it's also a problem with interpolated settings (using 1650x1050). I don't have a mbpr so I couldn't and can't test it myself. Furthermore I think the best thing with mbpr is the possibility to use higher resolutions (more screen space), it's almost as sharp as the "retina" setting, but with a much higher screen space (and I'm very picky when it comes to such things) .

So just to clarify... you say that using a 1650x1050 resolution with ableton looks/works fine or a 13" macbook retina, right?

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote:@Daniel_S

When it is like you wrote I do absolutely agree. I suggested exactly that a while ago, but a mbpr user replied that it's also a problem with interpolated settings (using 1650x1050). I don't have a mbpr so I couldn't and can't test it myself. Furthermore I think the best thing with mbpr is the possibility to use higher resolutions (more screen space), it's almost as sharp as the "retina" setting, but with a much higher screen space (and I'm very picky when it comes to such things) .

So just to clarify... you say that using a 1650x1050 resolution with ableton looks/works fine or a 13" macbook retina, right?
Perfectly fine and I also use it to DJ in Traktor Pro 2 too and that looks fine too.

Like I said, if you put your face right up to the screen, then yeah you could say that Ableton needs to update to vector graphics and fonts but that's just trying to find fault if you ask me. When standing or sitting from a normal viewing distance, its looks good but with the added bonus of lots of productive screen space as apposed to the cramped feel you get when running it in "retina" mode.

I had a 15" MBP running 1440x900 native and my 13" MBPr running 1650x1050 beats it hands down. Not to mention the crazy long battery life and ultra lightness to it :)