Bitwig Plug-In Crash Protection

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fisto

Bitwig Plug-In Crash Protection

Post by fisto » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:10 pm

just saw this vid on createdigitalmusic.com

http://youtu.be/qwekCqQT-t8

looks very nice how they done it. Maybe the abes could do someting like this in Live 9 :D

xzusa8ky

Re: Bitwig Plug-In Crash Protection

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:11 pm

fisto wrote:just saw this vid on createdigitalmusic.com

http://youtu.be/qwekCqQT-t8

looks very nice how they done it. Maybe the abes could do someting like this in Live 9 :D
Dream On! I did mention this so many times, but Ableton dont implent something that the users want! Get used to it! Thats Ableton! 8O
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

fisto

Post by fisto » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:15 pm

well, somehow I was very optimistic about a "change" @the Abes's HQ :mrgreen:

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Surely the inter process communication overhead involved in passing around all that audio must hit performance hard - particularly if you want to use a small plugin buffer.

If you have a plug in that crashes why keep it in your setup. Even if you are protected from an application crash it's still not usable.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:42 pm

I'm sure that resource consumption is higher, but who knows - perhaps you can choose to activate it, or not.

You notice that it has a bitbridge to load 32 bit plugins (into the 64 bit app). Bitbridges aren't computationally free either.

there's trade-offs to everything.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:15 pm

I suppose as processors get faster it becomes possible to implement things that would have been impractical just a few years ago.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:31 pm

I guess if you are taking it on stage, you will know ahead of time if the particular set is within your resource limits, so that is a known variable to the user ... The Crashy plugin however could come as a real surprise.
So balancing the two would tend to favour offering a resource overhead in favour of a more recoverable Live performance. We can factor in a resource overhead.

Who hasn't felt that special thrill of their computer taking a noisy shit and dying spectacularly in front of a crowd?
Oh, that's a special moment.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Angstrom wrote:I guess if you are taking it on stage, you will know ahead of time if the particular set is within your resource limits, so that is a known variable to the user ... The Crashy plugin however could come as a real surprise.
So balancing the two would tend to favour offering a resource overhead in favour of a more recoverable Live performance. We can factor in a resource overhead.

Who hasn't felt that special thrill of their computer taking a noisy shit and dying spectacularly in front of a crowd?
Oh, that's a special moment.
that's when you always have a mic and some circuitbent pedals that you scream into and tweak furiously until your computer is up and running again ;)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:31 pm

so the DAW manufacturers and user's processor take on the responsibility for shitty plugins?

jebus, someone burn down Computer Music headquarters STAT!

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:41 pm

crumhorn wrote:Surely the inter process communication overhead involved in passing around all that audio must hit performance hard - particularly if you want to use a small plugin buffer.

If you have a plug in that crashes why keep it in your setup. Even if you are protected from an application crash it's still not usable.
The 32-bit bridge to plug-in process in Logic works really well with small buffer sizes. Computers are fast today.

The problem is not a constantly crashing plug-in, it's a plug-in that crashes occasionally. Especially nasty if you DJ.

Anyway, the technology to stream from another process is nothing new, Jack has this implemented. Most likely a must checkbox item with most DAWs next year.