Transfering a LOGIC session into ableton live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stoersignal

Re: Transfering a LOGIC session into ableton live

Post by stoersignal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:
funken wrote:If you're playing live you don't want plugins running anyway. In fact it's a whole different ball game. You just want about 6 audio tracks chopped up in session view probably. There's a thread on that at the moment here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186618
that's not really live playing then
exactly. this way its more a a dj set than a live performance

blj

Post by blj » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:46 am

I'll be back :-)

Thanks for all the answers, I've got it to work with some tweaks and follow actions stuff.
One thing though, I don't understand why ableton when i drop and drag my midi file doesn't create the embedded metric/time signature information.

i've checked the file in other app to confirm that the information is there...

is this that ableton doesn't have this function or do i miss out ?

yours
B

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:06 am

To get the timing information from your MIDI file be sure you are in the "Arraingement View" when you import your MIDI file. It's easy to move what you want to Session view after if that's what you want.

blj

Post by blj » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:35 am

Blurr wrote:To get the timing information from your MIDI file be sure you are in the "Arraingement View" when you import your MIDI file. It's easy to move what you want to Session view after if that's what you want.
I've done that but ableton doesn't import any metric changes in the timeline its all 4/4 ... :-(

broc

Post by broc » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:20 pm

blj wrote:
Blurr wrote:To get the timing information from your MIDI file be sure you are in the "Arraingement View" when you import your MIDI file. It's easy to move what you want to Session view after if that's what you want.
I've done that but ableton doesn't import any metric changes in the timeline its all 4/4 ... :-(
Keep in mind that Live converts each imported midi track to a clip. So multiple tempo/signature changes are ignored because clips can only have a single tempo/signature. Btw, for the same reason multiple program changes are ignored too.

blj

Post by blj » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Arh, OK that make sense,
Thanks !
B

reeloy

Post by reeloy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:34 pm

....only difference between a dj and a live set is......you play tracks from others....or you play only your own...

no one gives a shit if you tweak a soft synth live, or just run audio clips.....

there's nothing really "live" if you're on stage with live.....so or so....

if you're playing once in a while, you can try to do that with open sessions full with instruments....
if you're a pro and you play every night, you better don't take that risk.....
and if there's no way around to tweak....work with ableton instruments only.....leave your fingers from vst and co on stage if you really run a showcase on proffessional daily bases.....

and get focussed on your performance......kill the email reading "performer" and always remember you're working in showbiz.....

posssu

Post by posssu » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:06 am

http://www.aatranslator.com.au

It says it can import/export OMF and lists Logic there. I don't use Logic myself, so can't comment more on that. They also offer to convert one project for free as a test.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

blj

Post by blj » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:28 am

posssu wrote:http://www.aatranslator.com.au

It says it can import/export OMF and lists Logic there. I don't use Logic myself, so can't comment more on that. They also offer to convert one project for free as a test.
Hi
fantastic, it also shows that its not that easy to move cross platform, i thought/hoped it was drop and drag, but alas :-(

yours
B

Etchogon

Post by Etchogon » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:59 pm

broc wrote:
ttilberg wrote:I imagine you can create your midi clips in Live, and route them to Logic's channels.
Nope. It would require that Logic runs as rewire slave which is not possible.
Not true if you want to use Logic as a plugin host without utilizing its sequencer. You can definitely trigger Logic tracks from Live midi clips, but you'd have to match Logic's tempo to Live's manually.