Editor software for external gear

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
buzzcock

Editor software for external gear

Post by buzzcock » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:29 pm

Anyone out there use a software editor to control external synths through midi?

I was checking out MidiQuest XL 'cause it has a VST plug-in like interface. Anyone know if/how it works with Live?

I like the idea of handling my hardware like I do software instuments (automation and such) but being that I hardly have any external gear anymore, I wonder if it's even worth the trouble.
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

Joost

Post by Joost » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:16 pm

I would like to know too how midiquest works with live

Anyone?

CopyRightJustice

Post by CopyRightJustice » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:31 pm

Live don't do SysEx :roll:

markaugust

Post by markaugust » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:59 am

for me midiquest doesn't work as I would like it too, and never use it because of that.
It's still easier to go into the little screens of my hardware then going via midiquest.

rlwilliams

Post by rlwilliams » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:26 pm

Greetings!

I bought and was waiting for Midi Quest XL before reading this post. I bought it hoping to help with the problem Live has of not being able to name the sounds in the midi clip by the true name and number, not just a number.

The manual states, "It is important to note that VST does not support SysX messages nor does it support sending MIDI messages directly to a particular MIDI port. As a result, it is necessary for the Midi Quest VST plugin to open its own MIDI ports". So, I don't understand why you would need to send SysX data to Live. The sounds and name titles would be in the Midi Quest Plug-in itself.

I loaded one instance of Midi Quest XL and it works. Whenever I try to load into another track to create another sound to be generated on another midi channel, it's not working out. For some reason the sound is always the same as the first one used.

Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong? I tried to change the Midi channel and nothing seems to work out like I think it should.

Thanks for anyone's input into this. I'm also waiting to hear from squest.com, the manufacturer of Midi Quest.

Sincerely,

Ronnie

ra

Post by ra » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:24 pm

So, did you get a response from SoundQuest? I was interested in the same program but I certainly wouldn't want to be limited to one instance! Hope it worked out for you- was the support decent at SoundQuest?

Thanks,
START NOW

register

Post by register » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:12 pm

max / msp (or just max for that matter) is seens as one of the most open-ended app for controlling midi. There's a fairly steep learning urve, but when you know it, it offers endless possiblities for midi.
you can the full version free- cycling74.com
dunno if it's what you're after, but it's pretty awesome.

palimpsest73

Post by palimpsest73 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:00 pm

I have always liked the way Cubase has implemented mixer maps (since back in the Atari days). Dunno if they're still called that, but SX has pretty nice MIDI device mapping w/customizable GUI. You can set up a graphic interface to control any sysex device. I think it's one of the least utilized of Cubase's features. I think it would be cool if Ableton had such a feature, though I guess racks function sort of similarly, though not for sysex (just CCs)...
MBP C2D 2.26 GHz, OS 10.6.2, 4 GB, Live 8.1.1
MBP C2D 2.4 GHz, OS 10.5.5, 4 GB, Live 8.1.1

Hawk

midiquest XL

Post by Hawk » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:07 am

I'm using midquest XL with live 6 and DX7 program to control my PLG150DX

the only problem I have is that live 6 doesn't recognize all the paramaters of the vsti to assign tot midi controller

Allmost everything is recognized except fot the coarse tune parameter for every operator , are there people having experience with this ???

I send a mail to sounquest about that but they didn't answer till now

Greets