Know My Tempo

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sional

Know My Tempo

Post by Sional » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi
I mostly use instruments in Live and record my keyboard playing as midi clips to create songs. To keep everything in time I use the metronome. Sometimes I like to record the first clip without using the metronome so that I can achieve a "spontaneity of tempo" with my playing. However, this gives me a problem in that it can be difficult to identify the exact tempo I was playing (and therefore set the metronome for subsequent recordings). Is there any way I can use Live to determine the tempo? For example, could I record my playing into an audio track and somehow determine the tempo from there?
Thanks for any help on this.

jellycaster

Re: Know My Tempo

Post by jellycaster » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:01 pm

i'm not sure there is an easy way to do what you want

if i were you i'd use the tap tempo function, which allows you to play the tempo 'live', and live will set to that speed.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:58 pm

You can have the Looper effect hidden somewhere. And have audio feeding into that. At a point where you think you can do a loop in a predictable timeframe, 1 bar, 2 bars, 4 bars. You trigger it at the start and end of that phrase (precisely on the beat). An option causes it to start Live's transport at whatever tempo you determined. It would be helpful though to have a midi clip with a beat 'already playing'. Not Playing, but lit up, like it was playing before. This would just offer some support.

Another completely different option is, having a delay effect. Keep it very simple and predictable. It won't let you set the tempo, but it is a way to be aware of the tempo before you hit play. Keep in mind that once Live is playing, you'll be lost. It is only effective before you hit play. And the moment you do, you should be recording at least one clip for reference.

Sional

Post by Sional » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:41 am

Hi
Thanks for the answers guys. Tap tempo is not really a viable solution as I would have to record (audio) my playing to another device and then tap into live while listening to the recording (a bit long winded). Sorry but I don't understand how I can use delays to help! Looper is a possibility albeit it will limit me to 4 bars maximum (I think). However I found something in the manual (knew I should have read it sooner)which seems promising. It suggests using the clips "Original BPM field" for aligning notes which have been recorded without a tempo reference (page 116). :D

jellycaster

Post by jellycaster » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Sional wrote:Hi
Thanks for the answers guys. Tap tempo is not really a viable solution as I would have to record (audio) my playing to another device and then tap into live while listening to the recording (a bit long winded).

I wasn’t suggesting you do that. All you have to do is play a few bars, get a feel for the tempo, and then tap it out… there’s no need to record it before. Of course you can change it afterwards if you were a little fast or slow. try it!

Sional

Post by Sional » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Yeah I undestand where you are coming from jellycaster. My problem is that when I hear the music in my head my finger wants to play everything including swing or syncopation, which is no good for setting tempo. When I hear the music with my ears I can detach more and tap to the beat or the bar no problem. Same when I play, if I use the metronome (or drum track) my foot taps in perfect time but if I play without a guide beat I don't tap my feet. Probably just me! :?