Who'd like updated versions of the APC40 and Launchpad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Leon Tricker

Who'd like updated versions of the APC40 and Launchpad?

Post by Leon Tricker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:48 pm

So... Push looks really interesting, and of course there is a long way until release, and a lot more info to come. We don't have the full picture yet. But now my initial excitement has faded away, I'm not sure Push will be what I need.

I use a lot of audio samples that I record (found sounds / field recordings.) I do use the Suite instruments and Drum Racks, but tend to create drone type sounds - I don't use, or need, a MIDI keyboard or pad device, so I don't think I'll use the 'compositional' features of Push.

When I do perform live I use a Launchpad, and this works well for me (there's so much creativity in just launching clips!), but some faders and knobs would be useful. So I was literally about to buy an APC40 when I saw the Push announcement, but I've held off for now.

Now... I'm pretty sure Push won't be for me. For example, if I'm getting knobs and faders, I want to be able to tweak send levels and adjust track levels at the same time... I don't think Push will work in this way.

However, I'm wary of buying an APC40 as I wonder if a new version will be just around the corner? Simarly with the Launchpad, I'm tempted to forget the APC40 altogether, forget faders/knobs, and get a second Launchpad. But again, I'm concerned the moment I buy one Novation will announce an upgraded version!

I think the thing that attracts me most to Push is the multi-coloured pads. I don't need clip names, but pads that reflect clip colours would be perfect. The trend seems to be for multi-coloured pads (Push; Maschine 2) so it seems to make sense that Akai or Novation will come up with new versions of their devices with RGB LED pads.

So what do you guys think? Do you think in light of Push we may see new versions of the APC and Launchpad announced?

S4racen

Re: Who'd like updated versions of the APC40 and Launchpad?

Post by S4racen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:04 pm

I think you may see improved remote scripts for the Launchpad and maybe the APC40, but there are plenty of hacks and max4live devices out there to extend the functionality...

Push looks amazing though and you'd struggle to get all of the functionality of it onto either of the APC or Launchpad!

Cheers
D

Post by 102455 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:05 pm

I think it would be sensible to wait until Musikmesse in April.

That's the next big date when new stuff is likely to be announced.

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:36 pm

S4racen wrote:I think you may see improved remote scripts for the Launchpad and maybe the APC40, but there are plenty of hacks and max4live devices out there to extend the functionality...

Push looks amazing though and you'd struggle to get all of the functionality of it onto either of the APC or Launchpad!

Cheers
D
Well, one of my concerns is that if Ableton is producing it's own hardware now... will they co-operate with other manufacturers? Then again, as Push is being developed with Akai I'm sure the APC won't be thrown on the scrap heap just yet.

Re. the functionality of Push... A lot of that functionality seems to be based around composition; trying to impose a Maschine-like workflow onto session view. Push only has 8 knobs - if, for example, you want to adjust a track's send level while adjusting it's volume, it doesn't seem as though you'll be able to do that with Push.
102455 wrote:I think it would be sensible to wait until Musikmesse in April.

That's the next big date when new stuff is likely to be announced.
Yeah, I was thinking that - or perhaps at the Winter NAMM show?

I guess you're right though - hold out for a while and see how other manufacturers respond to Push. It's always surprised me that Novation haven't essentially thrown the Launchpad and Nocturn together to create an APC rival.

EdRyan

Post by EdRyan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:19 pm

I think putting the Nocturn & LP together in one uni would actually be a worse proposition then it is now.

I find the setup of the Nocturn under Automap and the LP under Native and User modes to be just very flexible. The APC is better integrated, but that also holds it back.

Since I have a Maschine and a couple of F1's as well. I'm pretty sorted for control over Ableton. Push is a tempting piece of Eye-candy for sure...but I don't think I'd gain much from owning it. Proof is in the pudding though. I'll demo one when they are available. But I'll be hiding the bank card for a week afterwards.

timday

Post by timday » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:45 pm

+1 LP and Nocturn. It's cheap as you like compared to an APC or push. It's worth fiddling about with the Automap settings a bit to get the nost out of Nocturn though and I still find Automap a little flaky on occasion and I'm not a massive fan of it. I wouldn't like to use Automap on the LP but I would appreciate it if the Nocturn would do direct MIDI control without going through Automap.

EdRyan

Post by EdRyan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:22 am

I have to say though.

I recently got hold of a Maschine.....the potential of that thing as a controller for Ableton is just incredible. The default script and map doesn't do it justice. I'm just no good at scripting...I could use NI's map editor & Live's MIDI learn function to create something 1/2 usable. But it wouldn't be as flexible as a well written script.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:47 am

Which default Maschine script are you using? The one that has the colored border around groups of clips?