Is Ableton really for Electronic Musicians?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Evengy

Re: Is Ableton really for Electronic Musicians?

Post by Evengy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 pm

don´t waste your time with endless discussions, thats only one opinion. nothing more to say :)

mendeldrive

---

Post by mendeldrive » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:11 pm

8O
Last edited by mendeldrive on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:15 pm

falgorian wrote:I know it has just about everything an electronic musician looks for in a DAW
Actually, it isn't sample accurate, and automation and tempo synced effects can get out of sync with the internal audio and midi pretty easily. There's also no polyphonic aftertouch, multichannel midi passthrough, tuning controls for the included instruments or sysex support. And the midi editing in the piano roll is pretty basic.
falgorian wrote:but I have this tendency to write what I feel on a whim from electronic type sounds to rock to orchestral and I was wondering if this is the DAW that's ideal to write on a whim?
Absolutely, without question. Live is exceptional for getting ideas down. Regardless of genre, once you get your head around how the Session and Arrangement Views work together, there's nothing else like it. Not yet that has been released anyway.

Hmmm... well this thread veered into a pothole. Good luck!

login

Post by login » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:35 pm

This thread went down the toilet fast.

Suite is enought to make electronic music, IMHO operator is great but or analog sounds there is much better things out there.

Suite+ one of the super synths (monisphere, alchemy, zebra)= no limits

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:39 pm

login wrote:This thread went down the toilet fast.

Suite is enought to make electronic music, IMHO operator is great but or analog sounds there is much better things out there.

Some sense at last login.
mendeldrive wrote:lol, I just saw what you did there. Loser through and through. Why didn't you quote where I said that the person in question needs to decide whether they want to be a sound designer or producer? Oh, it wouldn't have helped your argument. Post your soundcloud link and I'll post mine. Then talk shit about who lacks experience.
PM sent with links. Looking forward to it.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

falgorian

Post by falgorian » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:38 pm

This was my 2nd thread, you Ableton people is crazy, and I'm at the right place....

mendeldrive

Post by mendeldrive » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:46 pm

beatmunga wrote:
login wrote:This thread went down the toilet fast.

Some sense at last login.
mendeldrive wrote:lol, I just saw what you did there. Loser through and through. Why didn't you quote where I said that the person in question needs to decide whether they want to be a sound designer or producer? Oh, it wouldn't have helped your argument. Post your soundcloud link and I'll post mine. Then talk shit about who lacks experience.
PM sent with links. Looking forward to it.
Please don't send me PM's with links to other people's work. It's sad.

mendeldrive

Post by mendeldrive » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Burial made his first two albums with nothing but a Windows laptop and Soundforge. He was nominated for Mercury prize.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burial_(musician)

DJ Shadow made Endtroducing with nothing but an MPC60. That album was named one of the greatest albums of the 20th century by Time magazine.

Ableton LITE is light years ahead of any of those. If you need Suite to make anything halfway decent, then the problem isn't in the software. It's a lot closer to "home" than you'd like to admit.

mendeldrive

Post by mendeldrive » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:42 am

beatmunga wrote:
beats me wrote:Electronic musician is a misnomer.
--------------------------------

I sent Trent a copy of your post that mocks electronic musicians. He and Atticus replied with the following pic:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:14 am

mendeldrive wrote:
beatmunga wrote:
beats me wrote:Electronic musician is a misnomer.
--------------------------------

I sent Trent a copy of your post that mocks electronic musicians. He and Atticus replied with the following pic:

I do love me some Trent.

Realistically what percentage of electronic music producers do you think are also talented musicians and could keep an audience’s attention without any computer controlled accompaniment for an extended period of time?

And whatever you think that percentage is it’s probably dropping daily with easy access to inexpensive production software.

But I’m not mad about it. I’m just stating a fact. I think by percentage a more accurate question would have been “Is Ableton really for electronic music producers?”.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:05 am

As someone who mainly makes heavy metal in Ableton, I can say that I absolutely love Ableton. Session view is just an absolute dream for taking an idea and making it into a song. Ableton Live + SuperiorDrummer = amazing ability to create great sounding rock/metal.

Once you get used to Session View, being limited to linear, traditional DAWs will seem like taking a step back in time. And not in a good way. I haven't used any of the other big DAWs since the early 2000s, but I don't know of anything that would ever make me want to go back.

And as for orchestral stuff, personally I don't like DAWs for this. I really prefer to write in programs with capable musical staff notation and writing, which no DAW really caters to (that I know of). Even still though, I love the flexibility Session View gives when trying out different ideas.

Basically, if you can't tell, IMO Ableton's Session View really puts it ahead of other DAWs, and vastly more than makes up for any of the things that other DAWs might do better.

mendeldrive

Post by mendeldrive » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:45 am

I do love me some Trent.

Realistically what percentage of electronic music producers do you think are also talented musicians and could keep an audience’s attention without any computer controlled accompaniment for an extended period of time?

And whatever you think that percentage is it’s probably dropping daily with easy access to inexpensive production software.

But I’m not mad about it. I’m just stating a fact. I think by percentage a more accurate question would have been “Is Ableton really for electronic music producers?”.
A talented musician is a talented musician is a talented musician. It doesn't matter the genre, you could easily substitute the "electronic" in your statement with anything else and still pose the same question. If the music is good then you have the audiences attention whether you're using a laptop or a banjo.
Last edited by mendeldrive on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

condra

Post by condra » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 am

Is Ableton really for Electronic Musicians?
What Ableton have done with Session View Automation, (or "heroin" as I like to call it) is get back on top as the undisputed kings of software for electronic musicians. There is simply nothing out there as much fun, as addictive, and as uniquely creative.

You'll know what I mean when you try heroin.

falgorian

Post by falgorian » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:50 am

If i'm not making an electronic song, how do these "music clips" benefit me? I'm trying to write something right now and I copy a 4 measure clip to the arrangement view but notice it gets out of sync. Why is that? I record for 4 measures and stop, then copy/paste past those four measures, is that why? Cause the clip only originally consists of four measures?

mendeldrive

Post by mendeldrive » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:51 am

And as for orchestral stuff, personally I don't like DAWs for this. I really prefer to write in programs with capable musical staff notation and writing, which no DAW really caters to (that I know of). Even still though, I love the flexibility Session View gives when trying out different ideas.
Sibelius does that. And Logic Pro.