Audiofile Engineering Triumph - mac editor $60

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mholloway

Re: Audiofile Engineering Triumph - mac editor $60

Post by mholloway » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:20 am

digid wrote:Can't use it because of two things: doesn't support VST plug-ins, and doesn't support 32-bit plugins with non-cocoa user interface when running Triumph in 32-bit mode. For me, that represents a lot of plug-ins ...

It's looking more and more like Adobe Audition will be the software that picks up the pieces after Bias folded.

Definitely check out DSP QUATTRO before you choose Audition. I just bought it today for 99 bucks after demo'ing and it's fantastic, and covers what you list above. Audition may be great too but I've read some lackluster reviews of the most recent version.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:34 am

don't forget there are crossgrades for DSP-Quattro...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:51 am

Big plug again for DSP Quattro. The developer is very understanding, decent, and replies to emails.
IMO very underrated, which is a shame since all the other competing two track editors come with huge monolithic companies, weird changing customer services and/or moving target pricing.

drakeyboy

Post by drakeyboy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:24 am

Used WE for years and liked it.
Triumph is a mess.
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad Xeon
OS X 10.5.8

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:43 am

I never really clicked with Wave Editor. Hideous workflow, buggy, missing some very simple things like doing crossfade looping ( you would need Loop Editor, which is a separate program, to do that......wtf?!?!).
I don't know if that has changed with Triumph.
I had some hope that Triumph would address these issues, but after reading that you need Lion to run it ( I'm still on 10.6.8, not going to upgrade unless i really need to), i'm totally done with them.

Guys, thanks so much for the heads-up on DSP Quattro, i demo'ed it, works really fast and seems to have all the things i'm looking for. I'm going to buy it.
Last edited by 33tetragammon on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:55 am

^ Doesn't need ML, it needs Lion.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:00 pm

dazzer wrote:^ Doesn't need ML, it needs Lion.
Thanks, fixed it!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Big plug again for DSP Quattro. The developer is very understanding, decent, and replies to emails.
IMO very underrated, which is a shame since all the other competing two track editors come with huge monolithic companies, weird changing customer services and/or moving target pricing.
Man I know you've been plugging DSP-Quattro for years but I never tried it until now because I'm just not clicking with Triumph.

I haven't gotten deep enough to compare it to Peak's features but just a few minutes with it and I'm already sold over Triumph. It just works the way I expect an audio editor to work.

The $50 cross-grade price for Peak users also makes DSP-Quattro a no-brainer.

I think the Audiofile Engineering guys are trying too hard to make their editor unique and really missing the boat on some core functionality and workflow aspects that already work well in most other editors. I need to be able to quickly make selections, copy and paste, create new files quickly, etc. and Triumph just makes even simple tasks like this totally obscure, IMO.
Unsound Designer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Does dsp support LAME mp3 encoding?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Yes, although you have to install the LAME framework yourself.
Unsound Designer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:07 pm

Easy enough. I had tried DSP years ago when I first went Mac and didn't really get on with it. That was quite some time ago, so I think it's time to give the demo a go.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Tarekith wrote:I had tried DSP years ago when I first went Mac and didn't really get on with it.
Same here. Not sure if the program has improved since then or if trying to use Triumph was just too maddening in comparison but I'm definitely getting on with it now.
Unsound Designer

digid

Post by digid » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:26 pm

I already have DSP Quattro - recently picked it up for $50. A bargain, but there are some annoyances.

The most annoying thing of all is working with plug-ins, and several of them. Because there is no transport bar, and because "space" (playback start/stop) isn't universal, you have to choose the sample each time you want to stop/start playback. When you are working with lot of plug-ins, this fast becomes a nuisance.

Also, DSP Quattro doesn't have automation, like Adobe audition and Triumph (and Sound Forge) etc. However, at least Audition still supports both VST and AU, and it still supports 32-bit plug-ins. That's big for me.

We shall see.
Listen to my lovely electroacoustics on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/digidada

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:34 pm

Spent some time playing with DSP Quattro this morning, though a lot of what I wanted to see was disabled in the demo version. Mainly just saving and exporting MP3 workflow issues, but I think I have a pretty good handle on what it does now. I like it actually, it's not too bad for an all in one mastering tool (in terms of DAW, not effects). Some things are annoying, like not being able to resize the wave window (to make it shorter), or hide the wave overview. We'll see, I might end up trying this one in a few weeks when things slow down here.

p12

Post by p12 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 am

Could some1 enlighten me when it comes to these programs? The programs you're talking about are sort of like audacity, stand-alone waweform editing program?

anyways, i was just curious... :wink: