Who here owns a modular?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rozling

Who here owns a modular?

Post by rozling » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm thinking of getting into it. I know there are a few 'halp I'm a modular n00b' threads on here, I'm more looking for your broad stroke opinions like:

1. How much do you use your system?
2. Do you think the high cost relative to software/non modular synths is worth it? Why?
3. How has it changed the way you make music?
4. What are the main drawbacks aside from cost?

exper

Re: Who here owns a modular?

Post by exper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:20 pm

rozling wrote:I'm thinking of getting into it. I know there are a few 'halp I'm a modular n00b' threads on here, I'm more looking for your broad stroke opinions like:

1. How much do you use your system?
2. Do you think the high cost relative to software/non modular synths is worth it? Why?
3. How has it changed the way you make music?
4. What are the main drawbacks aside from cost?
Yes, I made the jump about a year and a half ago.

1. Everyday. It's a life changing purchase.
2. There's nothing like exploring sound, having a large instrument in front of you like a blank canvas. There's nothing like it in software. I've tried pretty much every example. (Reaktor, Nord Modular, etc)
3. I will fully admit that it takes you in weird directions, which can be great if you are bored with software instruments. There is a lot of time spent patching and learning your system as well.
4. Cost is worse than you think. I started out wanting a single row. I'm now in over 4 rows (extra wide) and almost $9000 in modules. It has swallowed up much of my other instruments in that pursuit. Nord Lead 2 and Modular Engine, Mopho, Monomachine, etc. That said, I couldn't be happier...

Now is the time to get in to the euro format. It's just crazy with innovation. You can get traditional modules, modules with a heavy influence from far more expensive Buchla systems, granular sampling, real 808 and 909 drum modules, etc. Cases can be expensive, especially to start, but once you add modules and get used to it, it can be so rewarding and fun. It will definitely change the way you make music, but it also teaches you how to maximize what you have. Realizing that your filter can be an oscillator or slew, an envelope generator can be a filter, an oscillator or even a clock divider.

If you'd like to know more, check out the main modular forum at http://www.muffwiggler.com/. It's the most supportive forum community I've ever seen. Very little attitude, and super helpful for noobies...

rozling

Post by rozling » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks very much for that. It really helps. It's also very worrying! Nine grand 8O

The happiness aspect is what has my interest piqued. I spent 30mins with an A100 Basic System last month and it was, no exaggeration, the most fun I've had with music in two or three years. I thought the blank canvas thing would be frustrating but found it totally liberating. I was wondering if this was just a passing thing but from what little I've read/seen so far people seem to get huge enjoyment out of their modulars.

At the moment these phrases are going round my head in a "Lisa Needs Braces/Dental Plan" loop:
life changing purchase... nine thousand dollars ... couldn't be happier ... so rewarding and fun ... life changing purchase... nine thousand dollars ... couldn't be happier ... so rewarding and fun ... life changing purchase... nine thousand dollars ... couldn't be happier ... so rewarding and fun ...

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:43 pm

I started collecting in mid 2010, and ended with 9u of eurorack + 3u blacet frac
Sold it all during this year, mainly because I needed the cash.

1. I did not use it daily, maybe 6-8 hours a week on average.

2. Its a tough one, both yes and no. You get things from a modular that's hard to create ITB, or at least different.
I found it hard to incorporate it with a my usual workflow, most times I ended up tracking the modular while twisting knobs etc. but failed to build coherent ideas / parts with progression. That might say more about me than the modular though, but I think I am not alone with this.

3. Can say that it has ( it's sold after all ), but sonically it will change.

4. For me it was the trouble to integrate it with a more 'normal' workflow. I would love to have a massive wall of modular so one could patch up most of a song. Also cost is a big factor + availability!! My patience isn't the greatest, so when I decided to start, I just bought modules in stock ( from schneidersladen.de ). So if you want specific modules ( you do! ) then be prepared to wait.

exper

Post by exper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Haha!

Don't worry about the cost. That wasn't all at once. I highly advise you to start small and simple. The great thing about modules is that you can always swap out stuff as you grow and the used market really holds its value. Generally it's accepted that used modules sell for around 80% retail. So if you buy used, you're not loosing anything by trying out stuff and selling it on. The exceptions to that rule are, used Doepfer is more like 70% and rare an in demand modules like many MakeNoise modules (QMMG in particular) now go for almost double their initial price.

I could be happy with half of my modules, but I really like composing using just the modular sequencers and my Machinedrum (which by the way can clock an trigger a modular with certain functions in it...)

loydb

Post by loydb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:23 pm

If you can work a soldering iron (or are willing to learn how), you can build a badass modular for way less than retail. Check out Ray Wilson's http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/as a good place to start. This is my in-progress build, most of it is MFOS. You should also check out the forums at Electro-Music http://www.electro-music.com/forum/ and Muff Wiggler http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/index.php

MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

rozling

Post by rozling » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 pm

^ nice. Yeah I have had that in the back of my mind alright. Thing is I have a cupboard full of chips, wires and other such things from previous aborted projects. I don't think I'd want this to become another one of those. It's so tempting though - it can't be that much of a stretch e.g. to use an Arduino to provide some logic/control...
DIgiDennis wrote:I started collecting in mid 2010, and ended with 9u of eurorack + 3u blacet frac
Sold it all during this year, mainly because I needed the cash.

1. I did not use it daily, maybe 6-8 hours a week on average.

2. Its a tough one, both yes and no. You get things from a modular that's hard to create ITB, or at least different.
I found it hard to incorporate it with a my usual workflow, most times I ended up tracking the modular while twisting knobs etc. but failed to build coherent ideas / parts with progression. That might say more about me than the modular though, but I think I am not alone with this.

3. Can say that it has ( it's sold after all ), but sonically it will change.

4. For me it was the trouble to integrate it with a more 'normal' workflow. I would love to have a massive wall of modular so one could patch up most of a song. Also cost is a big factor + availability!! My patience isn't the greatest, so when I decided to start, I just bought modules in stock ( from schneidersladen.de ). So if you want specific modules ( you do! ) then be prepared to wait.
Thanks for this. Never really thought about availability. I probably don't even have 6-8 hours a week total for music! But I think (hope) I would be happy, at least for a while, to just spend a few hours per week messing around with some basic modules.

@exper also good to know! This I can use in justifications to my SO :D

exper

Post by exper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:54 pm

If you haven't checked out this site yet, go to http://www.modulargrid.net

It's a great site to build up sample systems and see how things would look once put together.

Here's my system (minus a couple of things that won't fit in there currently...)

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2708

rozling

Post by rozling » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 pm

Oh dear. It seems I have purchased a faceplate for a dual oscillator.

exper

Post by exper » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:03 am

rozling wrote:Oh dear. It seems I have purchased a faceplate for a dual oscillator.

Haha! You're a brave man! I entertained DIY, but concluded that I have no aptitude for it, and the little money saved is not worth my time troubleshooting, tracking down issues and mistakes... I have Ableton for that! jk

rozling

Post by rozling » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:04 am

exper wrote:If you haven't checked out this site yet, go to http://www.modulargrid.net

It's a great site to build up sample systems and see how things would look once put together.

Here's my system (minus a couple of things that won't fit in there currently...)

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2708
Holy crap that is one sexy system - and how have I not seen that site til now??! That's exactly what I need!

I'd be interested to know what influenced your design decisions!

Edit: yes, brave or stupid... or just stupid...

exper

Post by exper » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:20 am

The main thing that influenced me is having mainly complex synthesis options. I'm bored to death of filtered, simple sounds, so, largely, I was influenced by Buchla and Serge style modules. Things that had multiple functions, FM oscillators and waveshapers. The other thing I wanted, again largely influenced by Buchla systems, was complex trigger and gate generators. By combining different triggers and clocks, you can get very complex and evolving sequences. My system is basically 2 halves. The upper section is mainly sound generation, timbre shaping and effects. That section stands up at an angle behind the lower one.
The lower 2 rows are mainly controls, voltage sources, sequencers and such. This lies flat like a keyboard. The center black modules are not only sequencers, but the gold toned pads are meant to be played like a keyboard. Instead of a 12 tone scale, you can dial in the exact pitches for each note. So, say they are setup in a scale, you can jam around them while keeping melodic. I have several sound sources, two of which can either themselves be two separate oscillators or a single complex FM voice, and then you have things like the filters which can also be oscillators.

So, I can get several separate sounds, all sequenced and mixed with effects, I can get huge, complex single sounds, and perhaps the most fun, self evolving patches that take on a life of their own. This can be an endless source of sample fodder, loops and percussion sounds...

I'm getting excited now, think I'll head upstairs and play around with it!

loydb

Post by loydb » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:29 pm

That is a beast Euro system, well done, lad!
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968