A beginning with Ableton!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mounth

A beginning with Ableton!

Post by mounth » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi,

Firstly I would like to introduce myself, my name is Michael and I come from Poland, a beautiful country with not so beautiful economy. I'm into music since I ever remember, however I'm a cellist and a guitar player.
Year ago I found out about FL Studio and got totally engaged in producing music, but... FL was good for learning, nothing more. It's about the time I'm turning 18 and I expect some sudden income of cash to happen.
Aaaaaand getting to the core of what I wanted my topic to be about - I kindly ask for your advice :)

I have a budget of 370 euro (~470 USD) and absolutely no equipment, besides my old Asus F3sg laptop and my beloved Yamaha CR-820 (amplifier).
I did a deep research and I know specifications of most leading midi controllers, but hardly any have I actually seen live. One particular especially caught my eye, the Akai MAX 49, since I was looking for an used MPK unit, but missed the good quality pads. But even if I manage to get it, I still don't have an Ableton License... Which costs, quite the same amount. I have read that MAX comes with a stripped version, but I believe I'd soon want more than that, is that likely to happen?
There is an alternative - Alesis Q49 + used Novation Zero sl mk1 (available on polish ebay alternative).
It's a cheaper combo, but still, having no DAW, over my top limit I guess...

Is there any other way to fulfill my dreams, of which I don't know? How did You start your production/performance path?
I'd be very happy to read your stories and replays!

P.S
Also, I'm a great enthusiast of VJ and Quartz Composer! I wish I could earn money with my creativity and character!
I attach a link to my soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/ewrewr ((I recommend this track - http://soundcloud.com/ewrewr/messing-with-electronica)), if you have a spare minute, feel free to give it a listen.
This music is just an effect of a loose attitude and done just for hobby. It's definitely not even 1% of my musical ideas, since they are almost impossible to capture without any physical controller :S

Cheers, I hope I didn't bore too much and I'd be grateful for any replay!

nathannn

Re: A beginning with Ableton!

Post by nathannn » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:42 am

that was a long introduction im going to admit i stopped reading after you said "hello im new"
so for the rest of this post im just guessing your questions

1. pdc has killed many people, stay away from it.. your friends may tell you that "everyone is doing pdc" but let me tell you pdc is BAD!!
2. the brown henke dither in live is also a known mass murder.. as soon as you see the brown henke call the police!!
3. i dont have a 3.. just dont shoot up with pdc.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Monchai

Post by Monchai » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:14 am

I would suggest MAX 49, Got 1, Love it. Use it to control some Vsti to change the preset right from the MAX dial (feel like control hardware). and the basic Live version should get you started ok I guess. good luck

mounth

Post by mounth » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:13 pm

ronryder wrote:Image

welcome and read up on this forum of what you can do with ableton live. it is used in so many different ways like live intro.
Haha, thanks I'll read on. (Quality art is always welcome :D)

nathannn wrote:that was a long introduction im going to admit i stopped reading after you said "hello im new"
so for the rest of this post im just guessing your questions

1. pdc has killed many people, stay away from it.. your friends may tell you that "everyone is doing pdc" but let me tell you pdc is BAD!!
2. the brown henke dither in live is also a known mass murder.. as soon as you see the brown henke call the police!!
3. i dont have a 3.. just dont shoot up with pdc.
Actually when I read it now, I could have spared a few details :)
Just when I finished typing my CV-like post I noticed a thread about PDC and it actually slightly put me down.
I wanted to use Live as production software, but is it capable of it then?
Monchai wrote:I would suggest MAX 49, Got 1, Love it. Use it to control some Vsti to change the preset right from the MAX dial (feel like control hardware). and the basic Live version should get you started ok I guess. good luck
That's great to hear, would you consider it to be an equipment good for live performance? Also, does it have any disadvantages/characteristics that would make you want to use other tool for your production? :)

Cheers.

condra

Post by condra » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:13 am

Dude. Buy Live, and use cheap second-hand MIDI stuff for now.
You can get a USB midi keyboard for 50 euro, and get busy making tunes.

Your music won't be better because of AKAI.
It takes time. Learn Live well.

Oh ... and more bad news... you will have to spend at least 250 euro on speakers ...

Spectrumdisco

Post by Spectrumdisco » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:58 pm

I second that, if you really want to hear what is going on in your mixes your need quality monitors