analogue synth purchase help!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
filosofem

Re: analogue synth purchase help!

Post by filosofem » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:43 pm

andydes wrote:So for me personally, I wouldn't make the most of these pure analogue boxes. Anyone considering one needs to think about how they'd actually use it day to day.
Devices with an analogue signal path coupled with digital control are a superior beast these days. Patch recall, correct pitch tracking, LFO sync-ability, MIDI, pure analogue has none of this but rich sounding OCS's and Filters however analogue signal path with digital control offers the best of both worlds.

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:51 pm

give waldorf a chance? Who knows, maybe they really get pulse 2 ready some day. I am keepin my fingers crossed since july.

login

Post by login » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:06 pm

andydes wrote:^ the question is, do you want to be tied down to the workflow necessary for this kind of kit?

Part of me quite likes the idea of being forced to commit to audio early on. Make something you like, record it, and move on. But the convenience of being able to recall presets on vsts and more "advanced" synths can't be ignored. I tend to do music in short spells when I find the time and I switch around between 2 or 3 projects at any one time.

So for me personally, I wouldn't make the most of these pure analogue boxes.

Anyone considering one needs to think about how they'd actually use it day to day.

That's why a4 is superior: it can recall patches, sequences and a whole performance.

filosofem

Post by filosofem » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:02 pm

login wrote:
andydes wrote:^ the question is, do you want to be tied down to the workflow necessary for this kind of kit?

Part of me quite likes the idea of being forced to commit to audio early on. Make something you like, record it, and move on. But the convenience of being able to recall presets on vsts and more "advanced" synths can't be ignored. I tend to do music in short spells when I find the time and I switch around between 2 or 3 projects at any one time.

So for me personally, I wouldn't make the most of these pure analogue boxes.

Anyone considering one needs to think about how they'd actually use it day to day.

That's why a4 is superior: it can recall patches, sequences and a whole performance.
Eager beaver to see some A4 functionality demos posted by Elektron.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Honestly, a pure analog synth with no patch saving is a PITA in a way, but you end up with a forced limitation that motivates you to finish a track.
The only non-patchable analog style synth I have is the tube based Wretch Machine, and if you find a particularly useful patch it literally forces you to write something around it. The simple fact is many people are well overwhelmed with all the options available to them via plug ins and a DAW like Live, so in a very real sense the urgency of saving and writing with nicely crafted settings on an old analog are actually a plus. That said, the Minotaur for instance has the ability to save to your computer.

Plus, and this is big to me, the real advantage of hardware analogs is sound and to a degree workflow, so if the workflow is like using the computer or the sound is something you can achieve in the computer with a plug in why bother? In this sense I will always want to hear and work with a piece of hardware in person before buying it; I'm not annoyed or averse to digital and analog emulations to the degree that I would rather use hardware that sounded just like software.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:07 pm

login wrote: That's why a4 is superior: it can recall patches, sequences and a whole performance.
I would never say that about two synths that are as obviously completely different sounding.
Modular synths are the extreme example of this, a Jupiter 8 is a great poly synth with savable patches, but it's not a Moog Modular.
Both are great for different reasons. :)

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:41 pm

vermona does look nice actually - any idea if its possible to have one filter control all four synths - or if not would an external filter be needed?

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:05 pm

ok just bought the vermona - £700! :) :) Thank you ebay.

As this was cheaper than expected, i might get one more toy to compliment it (£400ish budget). thinking either a minitaur or a tetra! minitaur will allow me to route the perforuma to the moog filter......will help with filtering in poly mode. or a tetra as a more dedicated poly. what do you think or any other recommendations?

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:41 pm

robleighton22 wrote:ok just bought the vermona - £700! :) :) Thank you ebay.
Nice price. 8)