NI Transient Master or SPL Transient Designer.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
v00d00ppl

Re: NI Transient Master or SPL Transient Designer.

Post by v00d00ppl » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:41 pm

icedsushi wrote:Does Transient Designer still require iLok? It doesn't specify iLok under system requirements but it says something in the pdf about installation. I'm wondering if they might have dropped it...

no more ilok necessary.
synnack wrote:
Angstrom wrote:Transient designers and SSL style bus compression emulators are completely different things

Does anyone really confuse these two?
That's frightening,
They are indeed different things. However "I need something that will blend hard hitting acoustic drums" could be addressed by The Glue for sure.
Thanks for clarifying.I'll give it sa shot on a track i'm working on tonight. I have until cybermonday to make a decision anyways.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

IronShirt

Post by IronShirt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:10 pm

A transient designer is a subtle effect (or at least it should be used that way) and is more useful on live unprocessed drum sounds than on samples or synth drum sounds. Doesn't really matter that much which transient designer you get as they all pretty much do the same thing to the same end result. Having said that the SPL has gotten a number of positive reviews, easy to use and does the job well. I've used it here and there and am happy with it. However if the NI one is more affordable I say go that way.

Worth noting that there are tricks that can be done that have a similar effect to a transient designer. Usually layering and using compression creatively on one sound and blending it in to the regular sound.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:19 pm

IronShirt wrote:A transient designer is a subtle effect (or at least it should be used that way) and is more useful on live unprocessed drum sounds than on samples or synth drum sounds. Doesn't really matter that much which transient designer you get as they all pretty much do the same thing to the same end result. Having said that the SPL has gotten a number of positive reviews, easy to use and does the job well. I've used it here and there and am happy with it. However if the NI one is more affordable I say go that way.

Worth noting that there are tricks that can be done that have a similar effect to a transient designer. Usually layering and using compression creatively on one sound and blending it in to the regular sound.

Thanks for the details. So if I am using vinyl samples from a 12 bit sampler and I simply want to mix it with a person's vocals Glue would get the job done?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:57 am

Again, Flux develops high class dynamic plugins (price too :D ) and they give a Transient Designer for free. A nice "Stereo Tool" also. No ilok or any shit!

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:55 am

IronShirt wrote:A transient designer is a subtle effect (or at least it should be used that way) and is more useful on live unprocessed drum sounds than on samples or synth drum sounds.
Actually they work very well with processed samples. For best effect, i use it on the drum bus to get the overall loop sounding more punchy (especially when combined with some gentle compression and saturation).

Also, sometimes when you layer drums to get the sound you want, the transient of the new sounds can be very sharp. Transient designer is very useful for softening these and getting them to sound more "natural".

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:29 am

Evengy wrote:
Again, Flux develops high class dynamic plugins (price too :D ) and they give a Transient Designer for free. A nice "Stereo Tool" also. No ilok or any shit!

Wow transient designer for free? Thanks for the free link .

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:52 am

Has anyone been able to get the demo mode of SPL Transient Designer working? I just get a screen to enter a serial number and no option to activate demo mode.

Edit: Nevermind, you have to make an account with them first to get the demo working. But they don't really tell you that.

I have Stillwell Transient Monster and I compared all of these. Transient Monster seems to preserve the bass more than either of these but it can smear the low end a little at more extreme settings. It's a tradeoff I suppose. When I compared NI & SPL, I was surprised how close they were. NI seemed to have a tad more punch to the attacks, but overloaded easier. SPL seemed the most balanced between the Stillwell & NI options.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:45 am

icedsushi wrote:Has anyone been able to get the demo mode of SPL Transient Designer working? I just get a screen to enter a serial number and no option to activate demo mode.

Edit: Nevermind, you have to make an account with them first to get the demo working. But they don't really tell you that.

I have Stillwell Transient Monster and I compared all of these. Transient Monster seems to preserve the bass more than either of these but it can smear the low end a little at more extreme settings. It's a tradeoff I suppose. When I compared NI & SPL, I was surprised how close they were. NI seemed to have a tad more punch to the attacks, but overloaded easier. SPL seemed the most balanced between the Stillwell & NI options.

Good to hear. I'm pretty sure they will have it on sale again on December 26th after Christmas

acidshell

Post by acidshell » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi if your still interested I have a second copy of transient master as I bought the complete ultimate from NI, and I have the serial deregistered officially by NI for Resale.

I havent used the other one that youwere asking about, but the NI one does exactly what you expect, restores or adds attack to any sound.

Let me know if your interested

Im selling it through adverts.ie and am open to negotiations
http://www.adverts.ie/other-pro-audio/n ... er/3498297

I have sold massive which Iwas also advertising there so NITM is all I have left. Can send the code via email to the paypal account that pays me. You dont need to use the site if you dont want to. just let me know

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:33 am

acidshell wrote:Hi if your still interested I have a second copy of transient master as I bought the complete ultimate from NI, and I have the serial deregistered officially by NI for Resale.

I havent used the other one that youwere asking about, but the NI one does exactly what you expect, restores or adds attack to any sound.

Let me know if your interested

Im selling it through adverts.ie and am open to negotiations
http://www.adverts.ie/other-pro-audio/n ... er/3498297

I have sold massive which Iwas also advertising there so NITM is all I have left. Can send the code via email to the paypal account that pays me. You dont need to use the site if you dont want to. just let me know
I already got the spl transient designer instead. I got it when it went on sale for 99 dollars and used my 50 dollar PayPal certificate so it ended up being 50 dollars out of my pocket.