Something very simple

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
angeloconto

Something very simple

Post by angeloconto » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:23 pm

Hello there. Has someone tried to do this, apparently very simple:
1) get an audio file with a sin wave (ex. 600 Hz)
2) make a clip
3) warp and make a loop without any clicks (this is the difficult) ?

Many thanks
Angelo

angeloconto

Re: Something very simple

Post by angeloconto » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:25 pm

I haven't been able so far but It should be obvious

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:54 pm

the problem is zero crossings. as any one who uses sines for bass finds out, sine waves are really clicky when they don't start or finish on the zero line. i generally give up and put small fades at beginning and end

angeloconto

Post by angeloconto » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:38 pm

it's easy to find the zero crossings and cut the wave with an editor. What happens is that is I loop in the editor ok, no click, all perfect, while if I loop the same file in Live I hear loud clicks every turn-around

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 pm

angeloconto wrote:it's easy to find the zero crossings and cut the wave with an editor. What happens is that is I loop in the editor ok, no click, all perfect, while if I loop the same file in Live I hear loud clicks every turn-around
because live is looping in tempo and chances are when it comes to the end of the loop the wave will be somewhere other than zero = CLICK so track fades and filters would be the work around. (as your talking about sine wave its only fundamental so filters wont damage the sound it has no harmonics)
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

angeloconto

Post by angeloconto » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:44 pm

ok, but it happens always, even if I don't make any tempo changes. In this case at least it shouldn't happen. By the way, does exist a way to loop a clip without warp ?

pgmjsd

Post by pgmjsd » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:12 am

angeloconto wrote:ok, but it happens always, even if I don't make any tempo changes. In this case at least it shouldn't happen. By the way, does exist a way to loop a clip without warp ?
The problem is, even if you truncate the loop at a zero crossing at the beginning, the end might not be on a zero crossing due to the relationship of the wavelength and the tempo. Basically you have a sime wave that resets its phase at the beginning of the loop, and that will sound like a click. Cross fades will get rid of the clicks, just as they do in a sampler loop.

So, why loop a sine wave anyway?