any benefits of PC over Mac?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
timday

Re: any benefits of PC over Mac?

Post by timday » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:21 am

I use a Mac for live and a PC for home....tbh there isn't much to choose nowadays. There are some things I prefer in Windows and some in MacOS but they are little operating system quirks, nothing major.

For what it's worth:

PC workstations will work out a bit cheaper for given performance but not as much as you'd think. A PC laptop of similar quality to a MacBook (say a Samsung or Toshiba) will cost about the same.

The MacBook trackpad is the best in the business, a joy to use. Not found a PC that comes close.

There are quite a lot of PC based VSTs that don't work on Mac (still miss GSnap dammit).

What he said about plugging in USB peripherals when Live is up and running.

If it's the kind of thing you care about, TouchOSC and OSCulator type control surface bobbins is (much) easier on a Mac but costs slightly more - PC alternatives (e.g. GlovePIE) are free but are more hassle to set up.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:28 am

lapieuvre wrote:the only advantage of Mac over PC I noticed is if you launch Live, then plug your USB keyboard, or your interface, it will work. On a PC, you will have to quit Live then reopen for it to use the Midi device or the audio interface. Pretty annoying...
I think this is no longer the case for MIDI devices, pretty sure I saw it pop up in some changelog.

timday

Post by timday » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:31 am

It was never true for MIDI cables but when I forgot to plug in a keyboard last night it was still true for USB.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:02 pm

timday wrote:I use a Mac for live and a PC for home....tbh there isn't much to choose nowadays. There are some things I prefer in Windows and some in MacOS but they are little operating system quirks, nothing major.

For what it's worth:

PC workstations will work out a bit cheaper for given performance but not as much as you'd think. A PC laptop of similar quality to a MacBook (say a Samsung or Toshiba) will cost about the same.

The MacBook trackpad is the best in the business, a joy to use. Not found a PC that comes close.

There are quite a lot of PC based VSTs that don't work on Mac (still miss GSnap dammit).

What he said about plugging in USB peripherals when Live is up and running.

If it's the kind of thing you care about, TouchOSC and OSCulator type control surface bobbins is (much) easier on a Mac but costs slightly more - PC alternatives (e.g. GlovePIE) are free but are more hassle to set up.
Adding to that: Windows Bootcamp is the most smooth windows experience I've ever had.
For basic applications, I use Parallels and it works great. If I need more power, I just boot into Windows.
Windows gets more use out of the Video card compared to OSX on the same device.
Parallels kicks ass. Nothing like loading up a .exe file and still have cmd-c work to copy stuff.

morbid

Post by morbid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:08 pm

PC comes loaded with Minesweeper as standard

vido

Post by vido » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:17 pm

timday wrote:I use a Mac for live and a PC for home....tbh there isn't much to choose nowadays. There are some things I prefer in Windows and some in MacOS but they are little operating system quirks, nothing major.
At last someone who uses mac for live and PC for home..!

How is workflow?

What challenges do you get when working on the same project from both mac and PC, apart from only choosing VSTs that are compatible for both..?
Collab with Jeremy Blake of Red Means Recording:

Blake and Axe; "All The Light I Do Not See"
Spotify: https://goo.gl/MR8Wjr
Tidal: https://goo.gl/s35W33
Google Play: https://goo.gl/HQ1g7E
Amazon: https://goo.gl/cx5dUL

Not the usual stuff.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:20 pm

lapieuvre wrote:the only advantage of Mac over PC I noticed is if you launch Live, then plug your USB keyboard, or your interface, it will work. On a PC, you will have to quit Live then reopen for it to use the Midi device or the audio interface. Pretty annoying...

For the rest of course there is right click on a Mac, on a laptop 2 fingers click.
Mac->IAC bus = PC->Midi Yoke
Mac->CoreAudio = PC->Asio
As i remember they want to make it possible in Live 9 or was it a dream? Will try it later.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:51 pm

For PC
Instant access to the latest CPUs, graphics cards, motherboards upgrades
More plugins available
Some Plugins get updated sooner for PC
Cheaper lifespan ie upgrade it instead of binning it and buying a new one.

For Mac
Less Viruses
Nicer looking OS
Last edited by XSIMan on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

M-bition

Post by M-bition » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:55 pm

You can get ie more processor power and memory for the same amount of cash > you can run more plugins and effects.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:31 pm

morbid wrote:PC comes loaded with Minesweeper as standard
Although watch out if you're using windows 8, cause it does not come already installed. You have to go to Microsoft's Windows Store in order to download it.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:16 pm

apple really has pulled off something pretty impressive: with good design and marketing they have convinced millions that they are making a 'better' product, making a less powerful and less intuitive system seem more desirable, AND at much higher price! congrats Apple, you deserve it all

this is not some kind of haterz, hater, hate thing, it is an observation....if someone can justify and added $800+ for a mac, besides the logo, lets hear it

(not agin all apple products btw, i have my nano on 24/7/365 (did have to have it replaced twice already though, inside 3 months :| )

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:44 pm

simmerdown wrote:this is not some kind of haterz, hater, hate thing, it is an observation....if someone can justify and added $800+ for a mac, besides the logo, lets hear it
Better OS

login

Post by login » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:50 pm

d.reamonn wrote:
simmerdown wrote:this is not some kind of haterz, hater, hate thing, it is an observation....if someone can justify and added $800+ for a mac, besides the logo, lets hear it
Better OS
Yep, maybe that way you can justify, pretty expensive OS that whenever gets updated messes up everything.

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:09 pm

login wrote:
d.reamonn wrote:
Better OS
Yep, maybe that way you can justify, pretty expensive OS that whenever gets updated messes up everything.
No, you're right. I apologize for my tastes and will donate my Mac to Africa as contrition for my ignorance.

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:45 pm

d.reamonn wrote:
No, you're right. I apologize for my tastes and will donate my Mac to Africa as contrition for my ignorance.
straight up troll right here...
ImageImage