any benefits of PC over Mac?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
d.reamonn

Re: any benefits of PC over Mac?

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Sarcasm = Trolling

- rakim87 (26.11.2012)

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 pm

d.reamonn wrote:Sarcasm = Trolling

- rakim87 (26.11.2012)

fake quotes, consistant douchbaggery, bullcrap info, and inciting an argument = troll
ImageImage

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:57 pm

rakim87 wrote:

- rakim87 (26.11.2012)
fake quotes, consistant douchbaggery, bullcrap info, and inciting an argument = troll

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:14 pm

morbid wrote:PC comes loaded with Minesweeper as standard
HAHAHAHA
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 pm

d.reamonn wrote:
rakim87 wrote:

- rakim87 (26.11.2012)
[photo of some guy]
he's alright i guess, i've seen cuter.
ImageImage

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:43 pm

rakim87 wrote:In terms of music production, would a PC allow me to do anything I couldn't do on a mac? Say, because of customizable ports or something?

I'm on an iMac and I have a nice looking atx case I bought in highschool that I'm thinking about building with. Either that or I'll just stick with mac forever.
Sounds like you are going in a good direction. If you want to go PC desktop, you should build your own system. You save a lot of money and can invest in a good audio interface.

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:00 am

d.reamonn wrote: Steve Jobs had less hair but now he is dead, and so Macs can't do advanced stuff like MIDI and effects.
LOL that was too funny
windows 8.1, amd fx 6300 3.5ghz , amd radeon 7850 2gb gfx card, GA-78LMT-USB3 rev5.0 mobo, 16 gb ram , 7200 rpm hd , steinberg ur22 interface, cubase 8.0.35 pro , ableton live 9 suite

timday

Post by timday » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:12 pm

vido wrote:
timday wrote:I use a Mac for live and a PC for home....tbh there isn't much to choose nowadays. There are some things I prefer in Windows and some in MacOS but they are little operating system quirks, nothing major.
At last someone who uses mac for live and PC for home..!

How is workflow?

What challenges do you get when working on the same project from both mac and PC, apart from only choosing VSTs that are compatible for both..?
Workflow is fine, the main problem is as you said choosing the VSTs. I have one (z3ta+2) that is VST in Windows but only a VST3 (which Abes doesn't run) or AU in Mac...fortunately the AU can recognise and open .fxp files. Ableton projects seem to switch between the two very smoothly and stably. Also, I keep hitting ctrl instead of cmd on the Mac because I'm more used to PC:) That and pressing the backspace key on the Mac and expecting it to delete files.

Win7 does a few things differently (if you're a Mac guy you'll miss expose but IMO Windows jump lists do the same thing better). Can't speak for Win8 I'm afraid - I've had a play with it and it seems OK but it may have hidden horrors I don't know about.

Stability wise MacOS seems a bit more stable but that's possibly because I run a bunch of freeware VSTs of dubious origin on my PC. Anything made in synthedit (which is more than you'd think) can be buggy depending on who made it and AFAIK none of it will run on Mac. At my workplace though we run a lot of music software on both Mac and PC and they seem about equally stable.

vido

Post by vido » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:24 pm

timday wrote:
vido wrote:
timday wrote:I use a Mac for live and a PC for home....tbh there isn't much to choose nowadays. There are some things I prefer in Windows and some in MacOS but they are little operating system quirks, nothing major.
At last someone who uses mac for live and PC for home..!

How is workflow?

What challenges do you get when working on the same project from both mac and PC, apart from only choosing VSTs that are compatible for both..?
Workflow is fine, the main problem is as you said choosing the VSTs. I have one (z3ta+2) that is VST in Windows but only a VST3 (which Abes doesn't run) or AU in Mac...fortunately the AU can recognise and open .fxp files. Ableton projects seem to switch between the two very smoothly and stably. Also, I keep hitting ctrl instead of cmd on the Mac because I'm more used to PC:) That and pressing the backspace key on the Mac and expecting it to delete files.

Win7 does a few things differently (if you're a Mac guy you'll miss expose but IMO Windows jump lists do the same thing better). Can't speak for Win8 I'm afraid - I've had a play with it and it seems OK but it may have hidden horrors I don't know about.

Stability wise MacOS seems a bit more stable but that's possibly because I run a bunch of freeware VSTs of dubious origin on my PC. Anything made in synthedit (which is more than you'd think) can be buggy depending on who made it and AFAIK none of it will run on Mac. At my workplace though we run a lot of music software on both Mac and PC and they seem about equally stable.
That my friend, is exactly the type of info I've been looking for. The most important is that transferring projects between the platforms works well..! I also have z3ta2+, and yeah sound like a bit of a hassle having to save a preset every time you want to switch between platforms, but I'm sure vst3 will be supported soon ;)

Thank you very much!
Collab with Jeremy Blake of Red Means Recording:

Blake and Axe; "All The Light I Do Not See"
Spotify: https://goo.gl/MR8Wjr
Tidal: https://goo.gl/s35W33
Google Play: https://goo.gl/HQ1g7E
Amazon: https://goo.gl/cx5dUL

Not the usual stuff.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:51 pm

I just recently started using a MBP for work and after using OSX for a while I've realized that there it's sort of the OS equivalent of a car having power locks/steering/windows/auto climate control/etc. come standard - it's nothing you can't find a way to do on a PC, but it takes a lot of the work out of getting to that point

I've been a PC user for all my music production but I'm thinking I'm going to take the plunge and save up for a new MBP for production purposes,
just for little things like being able to plug/unplug USB controllers and interfaces without having to restart Live, not having to worry about whether it's going to hang at the loading screen and necessitate closing Live from Task Manager, unplugging and replugging all my USB stuff, waiting 5-10 minutes for the process to clear, and possibly having to do the same thing again

Plus file handling is so much nicer. Being able to load something up in RX2 for destructive editing/denoising/etc. without having to do janky workarounds due to file permissions is so huge.

Definitely keeping a PC for desktop though, due to cost vs. value, extensability, ability to swap out components, etc.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:57 am

midi on/off while opening software has been available on PC. It's up to the developer of the software whether he implement or not.