changing computer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dilshan89

changing computer

Post by dilshan89 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:31 pm

hey guys

annoyingly, i have to change computer. i want to make sure i dont lose any audio/midi files, so I'm backing everything I need carefully on an external hard drive. i know where my audio files are kept. but when i right click a midi clip, it doesn't say 'show in browser'. does that mean all the midi files I have on all my songs, aren't saved anywhere?? if not, what do I do? Do I have to go through all of them individually and save all them them?

Other than that, are there any things that I should be careful about forgetting. I really just want to be able to open it all up on my new computer, and carry on with my songs as normal.

thanks guys

dilshan89

Re: changing computer

Post by dilshan89 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:01 pm

any ideas?

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:41 am

You should be able to drop the entire Ableton documents folder into an external drive and it'll keep everything together, assuming all your stuff is together in one place

If not, you could always open every project and Collect All And Save, but that might end up being hugely inconvenient if you have a lot of projects

Upright

Post by Upright » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:58 am

I've often wondered how tedious this process would be using Live...since Live accesses audio on the computers and keeps track of where audio/sample/clips are it seems that changing a computer or reinstalling would be a hassle. Hope it all goes well for you. :D

footsy

Post by footsy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:50 am

agent314 wrote:You should be able to drop the entire Ableton documents folder into an external drive and it'll keep everything together, assuming all your stuff is together in one place

If not, you could always open every project and Collect All And Save, but that might end up being hugely inconvenient if you have a lot of projects

I was wondering this same exact situation because I was thinking of reformating my HD (it's been over 2+ years, kinda a personal habit) I feel this is the solution, but I'm not 100% on this. :/
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi