Are real analog synths warmer but retro-sounding ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
filter_7

Are real analog synths warmer but retro-sounding ?

Post by filter_7 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:28 pm

I got an analog Dsi Tetra that is a fat and warm sounding synth, but it seems to do only retro styled sounds, no cool modern ones.

Would be interesting in this post to affirm the opposite by listening to music examples, so i encourage you to post links of tracks using real analog synths in a contemporary fashion.

JuanSOLO

Re: Are real analog synths warmer but retro-sounding ?

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:54 pm

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:37 pm

awesome example, Juansolo.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:08 pm

very cool track...gotta be mental to deal with such a beast

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:41 pm

thats not my favorite video by that guy, but it fit the OP.
however, he has some really cool songs posted.

I would say look at all the Tempest demo videos too.
I own a Tempest, very similar to a Tetra.

However, I buy Analogue synths because of the retro quality.
In other words, I'm not gonna try and make my Slim Phatty sound like Razor, and vice versa.

With analogue gear you really have to spend time with it when exploring "modern?" ideas.

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:07 pm

They don't necessarily sound retro unless you rely on presets, which are generally designed to be of an era.

I've invested in several mid-80s analog rack units recently that sound dated as hell if you rely on presets and standard MIDI but really come to life when you roll your own patches and employ SysEx automation. (Currently researching best methods of SysEx automation, BTW.)

I've been getting back into old hardware mainly because it's simple to program (in terms of number of parameters), and my productivity appears to be inversely proportional to the number of options available to me.

condra

Post by condra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:34 pm

filter_7 wrote:I got an analog Dsi Tetra that is a fat and warm sounding synth, but it seems to do only retro styled sounds, no cool modern ones.
What do you mean by "cool modern sounds"?
Are you sure you just are not just a big fan of FM and Wavetable synths?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks for that, listened to some other songs, right up my ally. :twisted:

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:24 pm

condra wrote: What do you mean by "cool modern sounds"?
Are you sure you just are not just a big fan of FM and Wavetable synths?
I'm not a big fan of FM and digital in general for i bought a Tetra. Maybe the words 'cool modern' are not the best choice to explain what i mean.

What i mean is connected with the timbre because very often we hear people saying that analog gear is warmer than digital, but the crucial point for me is that maybe analog synth is older than digital synths, considering the matter of the sound.

I don't wanna transform a Moog into a Razorb but maybe an analog timbre into a contemporary arrangement would sound like a cello into a Sex Pistols song.

I'm just asking to myself... 'cause i like the warmth of the Tetra but it seems to take me into a retro-nostalgia track that i don't want to compose.

In other words i could ask: the analog gear is made for retro style songs? Juansolo said that this is the reason for he bought a Tempest (very cool machine).

I just would like to have the warm analog sound married with contemporary arrangement...

condra

Post by condra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:01 pm

This months Future Music magazine came with two very different artist videos.
One with Aeroplane, and one with Shadow Dancer.

Aeroplane has about a dozen classic analog synths, and proceeds to make a track by starting with a Virus and replacing each sound with something from his analog synths (Prophet, Jupiter, Arp etc).
At a later point he makes a point about how the one last digital synth sounds wrong in the mix with the analog synths.

On the other hand, Shadow Dancer discuss the fact that people compliment them on their new "hardware sound", despite moving more and more in the box, including replacing their XOXBOX with ABL2.

Personally, I've owned a number of analog synths and I fucking hate working with them.
Software is bridging the gap every day in terms of sounding "warm/phat/blah"..

I know that's not really what your whole point is, but yeah, if you want to sound like Siriusmo, go all analog hardware, but if you need that modern bite, software is great.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:58 pm

Tetra can go way beyond retro because it has more resources than vintage analogs. 4 LFOs, 3 EGs, mod matrix plus the sequencer can modulate up to 4 parameters as well. You can easily take it into modular-ish territory.

It comes down to your sound design skills, really.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:56 pm

Yes.

But in some cases, no.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:00 am

beatmunga wrote:Yes.

But in some cases, no.
Hey just in response to your sig:

Sure there's no point in reinventing the wheel, but it's a good idea to build the wheel yourself so it's perfect for your car.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 am

aioffermann wrote:
beatmunga wrote:Yes.

But in some cases, no.
Hey just in response to your sig:

Sure there's no point in reinventing the wheel, but it's a good idea to build the wheel yourself so it's perfect for your car.
I agree. Designing sounds is my favourite bit.

I just find mendeldrive's quote to be so wide of the mark that it's bordering on comedy genius, and needs to be shared.

I think cleverer people than me call it irony. 'Hey, look, I seem like I'm saying something that in actual fact I don't agree with!'

Childish, I know.

Anyone want to buy a pristine Jupiter 6?
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:12 am

doghouse wrote:Tetra can go way beyond retro because it has more resources than vintage analogs. 4 LFOs, 3 EGs, mod matrix plus the sequencer can modulate up to 4 parameters as well. You can easily take it into modular-ish territory.

It comes down to your sound design skills, really.
The Oberheim Xpander sitting here has 6 voices, 5 LFOs, 5 envelopes, 2 VCOs per voice and 22 VCF modes. There are exceptions to every rule. ;)