2xmonitor support: wishful thinking?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alpermo

2xmonitor support: wishful thinking?

Post by alpermo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 am

Do you think that it's too late to expect for 2 monitor support in Live 9?

Or all the major updates have been already announced?

Some people might think that this is not a major update, since it doesn't have anything to do to actual music , but in terms of workflow , it could save a lot of time.

Hope Ableton will surprise us with this.

loydb

Re: 2xmonitor support: wishful thinking?

Post by loydb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:48 pm

I think that, were it in there, it would have been shouted from the rooftops by now.

So yes, sadly, it's probably wishful thinking.
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:55 pm

And strangely, is their a Live user left in the universe who couldn't see or use the benefits,

I've often wondered why Ableton never ran their own e-mail questionaires that covered Live user uses as surely it must have crossed most's user paths at some point.

Point of fact, their have been many suggestions any of which would do, Undock, Arrangement and Session multi view, seperate Live library browser, seperate device window, you take your pick. :roll:

K1D1M35N

Post by K1D1M35N » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Gregory Wells-King wrote:And strangely, is their a Live user left in the universe who couldn't see or use the benefits,
I see the benefits, still I don't need it.

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:32 pm

I can see some benefits, and some costs.

I don't feel like I need it either.

login

Post by login » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:43 pm

First, 2 monitors goes against Live UI design. So i would never expect support for a second monitor.

For Live 9 all is pretty much done, just minor tweaks no chance of big changes I think.

That being said I think there could be improvements to Live gui's in one monitor, for example it has been discussed that a thrid tab in track view while in arregement could be the mixer.

Going a little far in to the future I think more than second monitor support what is neeeded is Touch monitor support, or a GUI redesigned to use a scond touch screen monitor for controlling certain things in live.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:06 pm

K1D1M35N wrote:
Gregory Wells-King wrote:And strangely, is their a Live user left in the universe who couldn't see or use the benefits,
I see the benefits, still I don't need it.
^ this... becuase...
login wrote:First, 2 monitors goes against Live UI design. So i would never expect support for a second monitor.
but...
login wrote:Going a little far in to the future I think more than second monitor support what is neeeded is Touch monitor support, or a GUI redesigned to use a scond touch screen monitor for controlling certain things in live.
this would be the way IMO.

these days you can get a monitor/TV that will provide more than enough room. i have a 27" iMac and the size of the application at full size resolution is massive. its almost inefficient because it takes so long to move the mouse across the screen - using [a] controller[s] on the other hand...

i think Ableton should go the route of innovation, a la touchscreen, if they are forced/compelled to go one way or the other. i would love a floating mixer, but i completely understand why keeping a single interface lends itself to a tighter GUI. for the laptop performer with only 13 or 15 inches, the current GUI is the way to go... i have Cubase and the floating panels can get unruly if you're not careful. imagine being on stage and having your instrument/mixer/effect/rack etc in the forefront and then losing it in the mess of other intstruments/mixers/effects/racks by clicking something else on the screen and having to minimize all your windows and find the one you need... no way. totally inefficient.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:39 pm

People are pushing for it, it's the most supported feature request in the beta forums right now.

If/how it will be implemented, nobody knows.