Looper, and how to use it.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Looper, and how to use it.

Post by ze2be » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:07 am

Hi. Im new to Looper. Ive been through the manual and all the little info views, with no luck. What im trying to do is just hit a button, and have Looper play the last bar of whatever ive just been playng. The only way I can get it to work so far is to hit its record button, then play an instrument, then hit again to start looping. But thats no different then recording audio to Session clips. I might be doing something wrong.

If playing a guitar with both hands, while using a wah wah pedal continualy with one foot, I dont want to break the first seconds of the loop by releasing my foot from the wah wah, to step on the Looper foot switch. That will not be a fluent loop. I want it to continally record, and if I hit Looper at some point before a new bar has passed, it would play/loop the previous bar.

Is it possible?

Upright

Re: Looper, and how to use it.

Post by Upright » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:14 am

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:57 pm

Upright wrote:I don't know if you've seen these...I just caught them yesterday :)
Thanks, but none of those tell if you can do one click looping or not. I guess you cant. I need something that continuosly records and keeps a buffer of a few bars back in time. Whenever you hit record, it loops the last bar you just played. When it repeats you now have just enough time to switch instrument seamlessly.

Ok then, its M4L I guess. I have the license. Never used it though. Maybe this is a good time.
I also have Traktor Pro, maybe it can do it. Hmm..

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm just throwing an idea here :
maybe you could think of a system with 2 loopers alternating recordings and make a clever midi mapping, maybe using clips and virtual midi devices to trigger the playing of the wanted looper. i hope you get the idea...

(But yeah, m4l for sure....)
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:21 pm

You use looping as part of your live performance, dont you? I have seen a video of you on youtube. I thought this function was standard to loop pedals and looper apps. Fact is im new to the consept of live looping. I dont see how 2 Loopers would make any difference if none can continuosly record.. It seems easier to continuously record to a clip in session, and use something from Native Kontrol to automate a sequence of: "loop last bar and play".

Max seems the best bet. There are tons of free "buffer shufflers", beat repeats etc that does exactly this. I just want a bigger chunk of time into the buffer, like 1, 2, and 4 bars.

Do you know any other loop performers that does it like that?

Optionally I can use Looper with a switch with the left foot, as I use a wah wah pedal on the right. But im worried of loosing balance! :D

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:57 pm

Yeah i mainly focus on livelooping on stage. But i am looping within clips.
My idea with 2 loopers is a bit far-fetched i guess. Hard to explain. But anyway, maybe you could try to re-think the way you wanna work ? Like 'i press a button and then i record' instead of the contrary ?
Otherwise, a max4live looper working like this shouldn't be too hard to do.
But right know i got the flu, fever and stuff, so maybe i'm just telling nonsense. Good luck, and have fun.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Its not a huge problem using Looper as is. It just seems a hell of a lot more convenient to not have to plan out a loop in advance. It seems like a better flow to just hit loop if you did something cool in the previous bar. (I like to jam arround a bit.) Plus you dont break the wah wah pedal playing by moving your foot to the loop pedal switch while you are supposed to finish the last second of the loop recording. Using Looper, the loop will get a glitch in this setup.

A friend of me just told me its very easy to create in Max, and that he would help me do it next week.Great! Though I had planed to spend some time sith this tomorrow/sunday also. Can you or someone perhaps tip me about some M4L plugs that might do this while I wait for him?

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Wow i don't really know, and my brain is not ready right to give it a try (and i am a very bad programmer) but this would involve knowing precisely how to use 'transport', 'buffer~' and 'groove~' objects.
i may give it a try but i'm not the best person in the world to do it efficiently !

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:12 pm

and record~ of course.
Trying to give it a try.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Thank you for taking time to talk with me here! Regarding Max: Thats awesome, but your sick man, shouldnt you watch a movie or something chillax instead? :)

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:12 pm

Don't worry i gave up...for now.
But honestly for some people familiar with dealing with the buffer~ family, it's a piece of cake. I'd advice you to post a request on the m4l section. Anyway this type of looper could be very useful for many users.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:23 pm

chapelier fou wrote:Don't worry i gave up...for now.
But honestly for some people familiar with dealing with the buffer~ family, it's a piece of cake. I'd advice you to post a request on the m4l section. Anyway this type of looper could be very useful for many users.
Yeah, I would think so too. Alright, I will ask over there!

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Maybe you can just keep a clip recording for as long as you play and then when you play the thing you want to loop you just stop recording that clip and sep the loop locators around the area you want? Sounds more tedious than it is.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:46 pm

aioffermann wrote:Maybe you can just keep a clip recording for as long as you play and then when you play the thing you want to loop you just stop recording that clip and sep the loop locators around the area you want? Sounds more tedious than it is.
i think ze2be's concern is to use this in a live context.

bigboz

Post by bigboz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:36 am

Not sure,but this could be what you're looking for - or you could maybe work out a variation to suit :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb4qfawAQ1Q