Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mholloway
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by mholloway » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:08 am

hmj wrote:As if PDC wasn't enough, might I remind everyone that Ableton STILL has no comping features. The ONLY major DAW without it. This raises an eyebrow, it really seems like Ableton no longer has any in house programming talent.

I don't know about you but I'd rather have a stable, feature rich DAW than an APC/Launchpad aka Push. Did I miss the mega thread where people were begging for new hardware?

I wonder what happened at Ableton that made all their innovators go to BitWig. Part of being a successful company is KEEPING talent, looks like Gehardt Behles is failing in that department.

Take note, this is the Avid blueprint: No programming talent = sell hardware. We may be in for a long and frustrating 2013.
Get it all out of your system now? Jesus, just go use a different DAW, will certainly make you happier than bitch-festing like this! (Then again, you'll probably just post ultra-negative whine parties about *that* DAW's limitations / flaws in their respective forum...so maybe just write some fucking music, instead.)
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

braj?
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by braj? » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:31 am

Personally I just record a clip in session view to a looped Scene of my song, record a bunch of takes as I feel, then copy them a few times and isolate the parts I like and they exist as individual clips. I'll then crop the sample or midi clip. I can then set the items I like to trigger sequentially or drag them to arrangement, put them in place and consolidate them, then drag them back. I also use Studio One and and stoked for their new comping functions but frankly Live's way is an apple to that orange. I'll get certain kinds of results working in these different ways. For me that is cool and though I'd welcome Live getting a 'real' comping function, I can live with it.

If they were to add a comp feature, how I imagine it working would be to set up a comping beforehand that will loop at a specific set of bars, and will create a new session clip on each pass. It would be cool if you could define a default follow action sequence then as well. It seems like just a little automation needed to implement all this, doesn't seem out of the world complicated to me, nor against Live's design paradigm.

edit: thinking about this, my 'solution' still wouldn't let you select little bits of a bunch of clips and 'promote' them like in Studio One.

Upright
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by Upright » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:08 am

I'm new to Ableton....I didn't realize that Ableton didn't have comping.


Comping would definitely be a welcomed addition IMO....but I don't see it as a deal breaker.

artpunk
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:51 am
Location: The Antipodes
Contact:

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by artpunk » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:37 am

Why is there suddenly two separate 'new posts' discussing comping? Weird. :roll:

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

hmj
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by hmj » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:59 am

login wrote:If it doesn't cover your needs why are you using it in the first place?
Image

nathannn
Posts: 3310
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:38 am
Location: U.S.

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by nathannn » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Comping in other daws annoys me. After few recording passes you are left with a large portion of screen real estate filled . You guys want that?
I really prefer lives way of doing this, you record a few passes and then extend the clip to view the passes.
You can then "Ctrl e" each pass and put them on separate tracks if needed.
If this work flow is not for you then just go with another daw.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Upright
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by Upright » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:48 pm

nathannn wrote:Comping in other daws annoys me. After few recording passes you are left with a large portion of screen real estate filled . You guys want that?
I really prefer lives way of doing this, you record a few passes and then extend the clip to view the passes.
You can then "Ctrl e" each pass and put them on separate tracks if needed.
If this work flow is not for you then just go with another daw.


I totally understand what you mean but correct me if I'm wrong here- Comping allows you to select the best portions of different takes and then consolidate those portions into one "perfect" take. Is this possible with the method you described above? Just curious...like I said I'm new to Live.

Here is an example of comping in Reason 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DUoc#t=28s

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by d.reamonn » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Upright wrote:I totally understand what you mean but correct me if I'm wrong here- Comping allows you to select the best portions of different takes and then consolidate those portions into one "perfect" take. Is this possible with the method you described above? Just curious...like I said I'm new to Live.
Possible. Easy. Move on. In fact, I'd go as far to say that comping in other DAWs (or at least in Logic) is actually a step back from Live's way (or indeed, Live's way practiced in Logic, which is also possible), as it removes basic functions which are otherwise globally accessible from within that DAW.

Once more: Comping is shitty. Just learn your DAW and your natural workflow will thence flow.

That's right, I said "thence".

Upright
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by Upright » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:04 pm

d.reamonn wrote:
Possible. Easy.

Not sure how it could be easier than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DUoc#t=28s


But if you say so I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by d.reamonn » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Upright wrote:
d.reamonn wrote:
Possible. Easy.

Not sure how it could be easier than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DUoc#t=28s


But if you say so I guess I'll have to take your word for it.
I believe I said it was easy and more flexible. I did not say it was easiest.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL :x :x :x

Upright
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by Upright » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:20 pm

d.reamonn wrote: DON'T FEED THE TROLL :x :x :x

I'm not Trolling....I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what you're talking about while showing you exactly what easy comping looks like...relax bro. :)

nylarch
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:55 pm
Location: brooklyn

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by nylarch » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:42 pm

My completely uninformed guess....

Ableton mentioned several times that session view automation required a good deal of code re-write. They bit the bullet and spent much of this release period doing under the hood work to make this happen and clean up their codebase.

Now that its done - the next release will be arrangement view focused (comping is probably a no-brainer) and maybe see some long awaited things like a more powerful Sampler.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

Willyum
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 6:17 am
Location: Jamaica, Queens

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by Willyum » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Upright wrote:
d.reamonn wrote:
Possible. Easy.

Not sure how it could be easier than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DUoc#t=28s


But if you say so I guess I'll have to take your word for it.
8O 8O 8O
Wow, I'm a registered Reason 6.5 owner and I have never ever recorded vocals (or anything that I can remember) into Reason. I have strictly used Live for all my recording and Reason for it's instruments (been doing that for years before Reason got 'recording'). I think I may need to really check this out, thanx. I've been 'set' in my Live-workflow' ways! I heard they updated the workflow in Reason but never bothered to check it out, maybe I'll find some more enhancements that can add to the flow.

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by d.reamonn » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:44 pm

I want device nesting. Modularity is the way to go, and has always been Live's strong point (Clip automation, Drum Racks, etc.). Now that Bitwig, with its fully modular core, is just two weeks away from releasing their 1.0, Ableton need to step their game up.

Buy up Cycling 74, kill Max, have Live absorb all Max functionality, rebuild Live from the ground up to fully integrate Max (opening up devices like Operator to user customisations).

It just works.

Upright
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by Upright » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Willyum wrote: 8O 8O 8O
Wow, I'm a registered Reason 6.5 owner and I have never ever recorded vocals (or anything that I can remember) into Reason. I have strictly used Live for all my recording and Reason for it's instruments (been doing that for years before Reason got 'recording'). I think I may need to really check this out, thanx. I've been 'set' in my Live-workflow' ways! I heard they updated the workflow in Reason but never bothered to check it out, maybe I'll find some more enhancements that can add to the flow.

Glad I could help...I'm a 6.5 user as well (trying to get more comfortable with Live 8 ) The only thing that stinks is that you can't record audio to Reason while rewired (at least not that I'm aware of)....but no big deal. I love the way Live works with audio...if I have a detailed part that might benefit from comping I can always Rewire Ableton to Reaper.....Reaper has good comping as well, although not as easy as Reason's comping workflow. :)

Post Reply