Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
telekom
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:22 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by telekom » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Upright wrote: Glad I could help...I'm a 6.5 user as well (trying to get more comfortable with Live 8 ) The only thing that stinks is that you can't record audio to Reason while rewired (at least not that I'm aware of)....but no big deal. I love the way Live works with audio...if I have a detailed part that might benefit from comping I can always Rewire Ableton to Reaper.....Reaper has good comping as well, although not as easy as Reason's comping workflow. :)
Why not just record into Reason directly, if the comping workflow is better?

If you prefer recording into Ableton, why not export the audio into Reason for further processing/comping?

Not trying to be smart, just asking.

hacktheplanet
Posts: 2846
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:37 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:20 pm

I did track comping last time I recorded my band... Didn't even know I was doing it. ha. Here's how:

1. Record a take
2. Record another take
3. Repeat until you've got a shitload of takes
4. In Arrange, stack the takes in individual channels sequentially... Like 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Choose the best take as the "base take" and mark it as such.
5. Listen to the base take, and choose what needs to be spliced in. When you find a part, region out ALL THE TAKES at the same time for that section.
6. Drag in the other regions from the other takes into the base take.
7. Repeat as necessary until you have the ~*Perfect Take*~
8. Delete unused takes or save 'em in Session.
Image

Upright
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by Upright » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:28 pm

the_planet wrote:I did track comping last time I recorded my band... Didn't even know I was doing it. ha. Here's how:

1. Record a take
2. Record another take
3. Repeat until you've got a shitload of takes
4. In Arrange, stack the takes in individual channels sequentially... Like 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Choose the best take as the "base take" and mark it as such.
5. Listen to the base take, and choose what needs to be spliced in. When you find a part, region out ALL THE TAKES at the same time for that section.
6. Drag in the other regions from the other takes into the base take.
7. Repeat as necessary until you have the ~*Perfect Take*~
8. Delete unused takes or save 'em in Session.


Makes sense to me. :)

blue frog beats
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by blue frog beats » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:36 pm

I agree with most of what everyone is saying. The fact that Live still has no method of multi monitor support is mind boggling. Detachable / re-attachable windows would be absolutely amazing, and really not that hard to implement. It has been a feature the consumer base has been begging for, yet they still ignore our requests. The lack of comping playlists is also a major failure. It's pathetic that the Ableton team doesn't seem to care absout what the consumer base really wants.

crumhorn
Posts: 2503
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by crumhorn » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:30 pm

I always do this in session view with a loop in the arrangement.

Create a number of clips with your vocal takes - all the same length all set to legato mode and no quantize.

Now you can switch between takes using the clip launch buttons and record the result into the arrangement.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Upright
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by Upright » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:35 pm

crumhorn wrote:I always do this in session view with a loop in the arrangement.

Create a number of clips with your vocal takes - all the same length all set to legato mode and no quantize.

Now you can switch between takes using the clip launch buttons and record the result into the arrangement.

very interesting.

crumhorn
Posts: 2503
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by crumhorn » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Upright wrote:
crumhorn wrote:I always do this in session view with a loop in the arrangement.

Create a number of clips with your vocal takes - all the same length all set to legato mode and no quantize.

Now you can switch between takes using the clip launch buttons and record the result into the arrangement.

very interesting.
Yeah, give it a try and see if it works for you. The hardest thing is starting everything in synch I normally line up the transport at the start of the loop and then start it by launching the clip for the first take.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

hmj
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by hmj » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:06 am

blue frog beats wrote:I agree with most of what everyone is saying. The fact that Live still has no method of multi monitor support is mind boggling. Detachable / re-attachable windows would be absolutely amazing, and really not that hard to implement. It has been a feature the consumer base has been begging for, yet they still ignore our requests. The lack of comping playlists is also a major failure. It's pathetic that the Ableton team doesn't seem to care absout what the consumer base really wants.
THERE IS NO MORE PROGRAMMING TALENT AT ABLETON, NONE OF THE FEATURES WE ARE REQUESTING HERE WILL COME TO FRUITION TILL AT LEAST VERSION 10...

Gerhard Behles (Abletons CEO) has gone on record saying that he believes the best way to make the program better is to REMOVE features -

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2007/10/ ... on-live-7/

That may be true from time to time and I love Abletons simplicity but that's also an excuse to not fill in the gaps. No tab to transients, PDC, Sample accurate arrange waveforms, sub bar audio editing? Some heavy stuff missing.

Look at how advanced Studio One is, how advanced BitWig is. It's because of programmers, Ableton lost theirs to BitWig and it's CEO thinks adding features makes the program worst. We're in for a long and frustrating experience. Our best bet as users is to make the most out of what the old BitWig guys created and become masters of work arounds.

oddstep
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Plymouth the great

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by oddstep » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:20 am

You're going nowhere. Just use whatever it is you use to record and arrange and bounce down to audio for live performance with Live. I think you're wrong about programming talent.... Session automation, audio to midi, api developments, midi recording developments, hardly evidence of a project stagnating. The other thing I disagree with is the statement that no user requests have been met.. I wanted session automation, lots of other people did... Its in Live 9.

Willyum
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 6:17 am
Location: Jamaica, Queens

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by Willyum » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:30 am

d.reamonn wrote:Now that Bitwig, with its fully modular core, is just two weeks away from releasing their 1.0, Ableton need to step their game up.
8O Do YOU have some inside info on this? Please elaborate....

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:34 am

Willyum wrote:
d.reamonn wrote:Now that Bitwig, with its fully modular core, is just two weeks away from releasing their 1.0, Ableton need to step their game up.
8O Do YOU have some inside info on this? Please elaborate....

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:34 am

d.reamonn wrote:
Willyum wrote:
d.reamonn wrote:Now that Bitwig, with its fully modular core, is just two weeks away from releasing their 1.0, Ableton need to step their game up.
8O Do YOU have some inside info on this? Please elaborate....
DON'T FEED THE TROLL :x :x :x

SpeedKing
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:51 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by SpeedKing » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:33 am

hmj wrote: THERE IS NO MORE PROGRAMMING TALENT AT ABLETON, NONE OF THE FEATURES WE ARE REQUESTING HERE WILL COME TO FRUITION TILL AT LEAST VERSION 10...

Gerhard Behles (Abletons CEO) has gone on record saying that he believes the best way to make the program better is to REMOVE features -

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2007/10/ ... on-live-7/

That may be true from time to time and I love Abletons simplicity but that's also an excuse to not fill in the gaps. No tab to transients, PDC, Sample accurate arrange waveforms, sub bar audio editing? Some heavy stuff missing.

Look at how advanced Studio One is, how advanced BitWig is. It's because of programmers, Ableton lost theirs to BitWig and it's CEO thinks adding features makes the program worst. We're in for a long and frustrating experience. Our best bet as users is to make the most out of what the old BitWig guys created and become masters of work arounds.
Just searching and looking back at your post history (because you seem like a classic troll), two things are obvious. You actually do use Live, and you're also one of the most smug and annoying posters on this forum, who remains staunchly negative in pretty much any and every situation/thread. You're exactly the type of person that makes forums worse. It's not that you don't have valid opinions, and experience, but you will only use those opinions to make consistent negativity.

Now, if you're going to say "I'm just saying these things because I want Ableton to be a better product", then you're either (option 1) lying, (option 2) telling the truth, but maybe you just enjoy negativity or (option 3) very bad at figuring out the chain of events necessary to reach an end goal (such as wanting Ableton to be a better product).

I don't have anything to add to this thread, but I just wanted to point that out.

Angstrom
Posts: 14669
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by Angstrom » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:09 am

I watched that video, Gerhard speaks a lot of sense in it, to refine what is there. It makes more flow and less work.

At that time they were combining Compressor one and Compressor two, and they made the compressor which we have now in Live 8. It's just as powerful, but also quicker to use because it's one thing.

I think the strategy he outlines in that video is excellent, and nobody at the time said "where is my compressor 1, or 2 ? You have taken something away!!!"
Everybody understood that the new compressor was both the old compressors together.

Or, apparently, almost everybody understood, eh?

hmj
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Re: Ableton 9: No Comping Features

Post by hmj » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:37 am

SpeedKing wrote:
hmj wrote: THERE IS NO MORE PROGRAMMING TALENT AT ABLETON, NONE OF THE FEATURES WE ARE REQUESTING HERE WILL COME TO FRUITION TILL AT LEAST VERSION 10...

Gerhard Behles (Abletons CEO) has gone on record saying that he believes the best way to make the program better is to REMOVE features -

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2007/10/ ... on-live-7/

That may be true from time to time and I love Abletons simplicity but that's also an excuse to not fill in the gaps. No tab to transients, PDC, Sample accurate arrange waveforms, sub bar audio editing? Some heavy stuff missing.

Look at how advanced Studio One is, how advanced BitWig is. It's because of programmers, Ableton lost theirs to BitWig and it's CEO thinks adding features makes the program worst. We're in for a long and frustrating experience. Our best bet as users is to make the most out of what the old BitWig guys created and become masters of work arounds.
Just searching and looking back at your post history (because you seem like a classic troll), two things are obvious. You actually do use Live, and you're also one of the most smug and annoying posters on this forum, who remains staunchly negative in pretty much any and every situation/thread. You're exactly the type of person that makes forums worse. It's not that you don't have valid opinions, and experience, but you will only use those opinions to make consistent negativity.

Now, if you're going to say "I'm just saying these things because I want Ableton to be a better product", then you're either (option 1) lying, (option 2) telling the truth, but maybe you just enjoy negativity or (option 3) very bad at figuring out the chain of events necessary to reach an end goal (such as wanting Ableton to be a better product).

I don't have anything to add to this thread, but I just wanted to point that out.
If anything I said was actually false you would have a point but you don't. YOU are just trolling my post with emotional jibber jabber. Ableton is missing these features, this forum exist for users to communicate with the company about what we think is important. If none of these features are important to you then carry on with your day, you're contributing nothing to this conversation troll.

Post Reply