Bit-bridging in Live 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deanthomastunes

Bit-bridging in Live 9?

Post by deanthomastunes » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:20 pm

If not, this is a deal-breaker.
Progressive/Tech/Uplifting Trance
Soundcloud | Facebook | Twitter

LATEST RELEASES
BUY HERE

blue frog beats

Re: Bit-bridging in Live 9?

Post by blue frog beats » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 pm

From what I understand, at this point there is no bridge.

There is also no multi monitor support.

I guess they really don't give a shit about what we really want.

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:21 pm

blue frog beats wrote:From what I understand, at this point there is no bridge.

There is also no multi monitor support.

I guess they really don't give a shit about what I really want.
Corrected.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:00 pm

It would be great to have a built in bid bridger. But, jBridge does do the job just fine. At least with the plugins I use.

donmich

Post by donmich » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:17 pm

I would love a built in bit bridge, but I could see it adding a lot of support headaches when the plugin devs really should be responsible for porting their devices themselves. There is no upside for Ableton and since there are solutions (however well they work) I understand their reluctance. Studio One, same thing.

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Cmon bit bridging is such an essential and standard feature that it's really not understandable why they didn't implement it. It's like selling an electric car without a charging cable.

I can only try to explain it that way that they had it on their agenda but had to announce live 9 earlier than expected. I could imagine they put it into a future update when everybody already bought Jbridge... Man that would piss me off!

I am still crossing my fingers though that its there out of nothing when i boot live 9 the first time :D

donmich

Post by donmich » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:45 pm

h3rtz wrote:Cmon bit bridging is such an essential and standard feature that it's really not understandable why they didn't implement it. It's like selling an electric car without a charging cable.

I can only try to explain it that way that they had it on their agenda but had to announce live 9 earlier than expected. I could imagine they put it into a future update when everybody already bought Jbridge... Man that would piss me off!

I am still crossing my fingers though that its there out of nothing when i boot live 9 the first time :D
I am far from an Ableton apologist, but if they took on bit bridging then all of a sudden they would have to support possibly hundreds of quirks for hundreds of outdated plugs that really should be keeping up themselves. From a business standpoint I have to say I get it.

But i am intrigued, why did they have to announce earlier than expected? Because of the leaked video?

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:37 pm

Donmich you got a point there.

But:

Why do so many other DAW have it, and if a 15euro app developed by an outsider (which is jbridge, just from a commercial standoint) works flawlessly, why shouldnt abletons superior overlord programmers be able to get the job done?

Its the leaked video ,the horrible new forum design ( which they fortunately changed later) and the upgrade price bug on their web page that made me feel like they did the final touches in a hurry and maybe even left a lot of things unfinished. I mean, how can you mess up the price for your latest product on your own web page ??

They knew they would piss off people with not offering dual monitor support as it was one of the main requested features and then bit bridging which i felt was so going without saying if you offer a 64 system that it didnt even seem necessary to put it on the wishlist.

So i cant imagine that was really a planned and conscious decision.

73*

Post by 73* » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:48 pm

I really don't think bit-bridging is something DAW devs should waste their time with... Until this past weekend I've been boycotting UAD because they have been so far behind on moving to 64-bit. If the plug-in devs don't update their plugs, then we should not buy/use them. I would much rather see DAW devs put resources into the future, not into building bridges to the pas (pun intended).

I understand that there is a large number of people that worry about being able to reopen old projects/sets in a 64bit environment and want everything to work, but I feel there has to be a point when you make the decision to commit your 32bit plugs to audio in order to future proof projects, or use j-bridge. I don't see this an Ableton problem.

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:31 am

I think nearly everybody has a use for a bit bridge. Just think of this ONE (freeware)
plugin that you love and that is not ported to 64 bit...

Yes, it would have been stupid to put ressources on developing a new, own bit bridge
with potential bugs.

They should just have licensed this 15 euro app jBridge for 5 euro per sold Live license,
fully integrate it into Live (which is very simple I read on jBridge site) and charge
10 euros more for Live. And everbody would be happy ! jBridge works in every direction,
so you simply never had to think again about if you are on a 32/64 bit system running
the 32/64 bit version of Live, which plugin version...

But no, Ableton does not care about simplicity anymore.
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

deanthomastunes

Post by deanthomastunes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:39 pm

What about plug-ins like Sylenth1, which is possibly one of the best synths ever made. It will NEVER be upgraded to 64-bit.

I personally think Abes devs have been lazy in not implementing a bridging feature. Even FL Studio 10 has one!

Plus, if a bridge was incorporated into live, one wouldn't have to piss about with various installation folders and unnecessary duplicates of plug-in .dll files.

LATEST RELEASES
BUY HERE

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:43 pm

deanthomastunes wrote:What about plug-ins like Sylenth1, which is possibly one of the best synths ever made. It will NEVER be upgraded to 64-bit.
I thought that already had 64-bit? Could of swore I had the 64-bit version installed...

http://www.lennardigital.com/modules/downloads/

???

login

Post by login » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:45 pm

You people are funny, you want you 64 bit version, then you want to keep using your 32 bit plug ins, why you dont ask those plug in developers to update their plugs to 64?

And there is already a bit bdirge that works pretty well out there. Why so much suffering?

deanthomastunes

Post by deanthomastunes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:07 pm

Because it's a surplus piece of software that should be integrated. Plus, I do not want to hadn over £15 to some website that looks rather dodgy.

LATEST RELEASES
BUY HERE

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:50 pm

How many DAW's actually have this? I saw mention of *a bunch*, then FL 10 has it. Studio One V2 does not, Live 9 won't. Does ProTools, Cubase, Logic, et al have this? And it's a whopping ~$20 to be able to use your favorite synth that the developer stopped developing or won't port it to 64 bit (it shouldn't be too hard to make it 64 bit, but then again I'm not a hard core C++/C#/Java coder). Of course it'd need testing but porting should have been happening a lot time ago....just my opinion.

I have to read up on what jbridge is going to bring me. Currently running 32-bit Live and Studio One V2 (soon to be updated to 2.5 since it came out the other day). I have some 32 bit freebies I may want to keep once I have had time to muck around with them under the hood so to speak. But come on, complaining about $20 for a 3rd party product that *works* and could have you running whatever bit version in your 64 bit daw, quit complaining.
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.