should support for multiple instances of live return in L9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

should multi instance support return in L9?

yes
61%
maybe
6%
no
33%

Total votes: 18

gisela-idol

should support for multiple instances of live return in L9?

Post by gisela-idol » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:03 am

In L7 is was possible to run two instances of live ( with their own program folders/version numbers ) in parallel.
Copy and paste between this two instances was possible !

That was a good workaround for one of the biggest drawbacks of live and especially helpfull for compiling albums and live sets..

The possibility got removed with L8 and since you work like a mole on the single track and getting materials from one sessions into the other needs ages..

Will L9 repair this loss ?

I doubt it, but maybe i am not the only one that sees more benefit in such workflow improovements than in a new eq plug in.

any other opinions?

gisela-idol

Re: should support for multiple instances of live return in L9?

Post by gisela-idol » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 am

good to know that i am not the only one.

vitalispopoff

Post by vitalispopoff » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:22 pm

the main problem is with the license - You're allowed to install the AL on two separate computers but not to work on two Live instances together.

The good solution however would be the ability to import a whole project into another one, but this would need many additional functionalities, like importing aux tracks, advanced routing in track groups, internal aux tracks for track groups, nested track grouping and so on.
I wish Live had those…
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm

gisela-idol wrote:any other opinions?
not opinion, fact that I just ran two instances in Live 8.

hater needs to learn his subject.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

gisela-idol

Post by gisela-idol » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:04 am

Tone Deft wrote:
gisela-idol wrote:any other opinions?
not opinion, fact that I just ran two instances in Live 8.

hater needs to learn his subject.
you act as the hater here just from your tone? what is wrong with you? are you the watchdog over the ableton forums?

anyway.. two L8 open dont help much when you cant copy paste between them.

With L7 that just worked beautifully and was the only workaround for this shortcomming of live.

Why was that removed in L8 ? When i remove the workaround i should give the feature... something like beeing able to open different projects simultaniously, copy paste between them in one original instance would be way better..

But aslong the users dont get that it would be nice to remove the barrier that was installed in L8.

For what reason ? is there any use in protecting the user from illegal workflow improovements?
And is there a reason to dont want the ability to copy paste clips and devices from one wproject file to the other? Appears weard somehow to opose to that option.

gisela-idol

Post by gisela-idol » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:27 am

vitalispopoff wrote:the main problem is with the license - You're allowed to install the AL on two separate computers but not to work on two Live instances together.

The good solution however would be the ability to import a whole project into another one, but this would need many additional functionalities, like importing aux tracks, advanced routing in track groups, internal aux tracks for track groups, nested track grouping and so on.
I wish Live had those…
you have the licence for one computer...on that computer you can have as much program folders as you want as you stay the same user.. would be strange to dont have the right to use it on your computer as you want.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:38 am

my apologies. I probably read the thread title and not the details.

goddamnit, you're right. I can open two Live 8s but can't copy between them. I swear I tried it before posting, I screwed up.

dunno, maybe it has to do with the new file format introduced in Live 8.2(?). I don'[t see it as a license thing, you're allowed to authorize two computers with Live, one computer with two instances should be fine.

I use one instance and use the Live browser to browse to other sets' directories. launching another instance just seems like a CPU and RAM hit.

you're right, good find but I don't need it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:52 am

Used to have it turned on but turned it off deliberately because I used to accidentally start 2 and then I would have to restart my computer which I didn't like

gisela-idol

Post by gisela-idol » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:37 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Well, in all honesty the title of the thread is a little bit misleading IMO. Because there is an configuration option "allow multiple instances".

But even so; this isn't for me. I don't quite see the need nor the advantage... even have the config option always turned off.

Because whatever you do; both Live instances will share their library and overall settings. As such they'll also share your configured (?) liveset locations. What's stopping you from simply dragging/dropping stuff from one liveset into the other using the livebrowser instead?

That's how I always do it whenever I need to "move" (or copy) stuff.

Either you have a lot of time or you just use presets. When i open a songfile i did, and want to take one 16 bar vocal recording from one instance to the other .. you suggest that i show the file in the browser..than go to the other instance.. navigate to that file..load it.. and find out that some specific settings are not afed in that file.. so i go back.. safe it.. override by that maybe important settings.. and go back reload it and than it works?

great.. but belive me, the drag and drop or copy paste as possible in L7 was way more comfortable and felt a little more 2013 ready as this crap..

a happy 2013 ... with a hopefully more inteligent build live 9

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:53 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Well, in all honesty the title of the thread is a little bit misleading IMO. Because there is an configuration option "allow multiple instances".

But even so; this isn't for me. I don't quite see the need nor the advantage... even have the config option always turned off.

Because whatever you do; both Live instances will share their library and overall settings. As such they'll also share your configured (?) liveset locations. What's stopping you from simply dragging/dropping stuff from one liveset into the other using the livebrowser instead?

You can and probably should navigate to the song you want to use in the browser and copy the stuff from there.

This works really well.

I love this - really.

gisela-idol

Post by gisela-idol » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 am

ian_halsall wrote:

You can and probably should navigate to the song you want to use in the browser and copy the stuff from there.

This works really well.

I love this - really.
but how do i know what i like to copy wihout having the song i want to copy from opened first? And when i ve that one open.. the one i want to copy to is closed..

Sorry, but is´nt such a functionality a little silly? Or is that just too high for girls to understand ?

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:51 am

gisela-idol wrote:
ian_halsall wrote:

This works really well.

I love this - really.
but how do i know what i like to copy wihout having the song i want to copy from opened first? And when i ve that one open.. the one i want to copy to is closed..

Sorry, but is´nt such a functionality a little silly? Or is that just too high for girls to understand ?

gisela, you can drag any sessionclip into your open set from a closed set within the browser. you navigate to the set, click a little triangle, it unfolds its channels, then you unfold a channel to see the clips, voilá.
that's actually much faster than opening second instance of live and opening the set with a clip that you need.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:12 am

NO, Never !

gisela-idol

Post by gisela-idol » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:25 am

pepezabala wrote: gisela, you can drag any sessionclip into your open set from a closed set within the browser. you navigate to the set, click a little triangle, it unfolds its channels, then you unfold a channel to see the clips, voilá.
that's actually much faster than opening second instance of live and opening the set with a clip that you need.

but thats just a single track.. so i get the snare track of track A but how can i know that i want that beat when i just hear the snare?

You have a funny idea about a lot faster. :lol: .
L7 was a lot faster.. worked like it should work.. you have your project instance.. and open various songs for evaluation in another.. listen.. decide.. and than you copy.. just by draging.. I cant understand how you can give up on that without replacing it by a better option.. Instead this around the head in the eye operation. Totally user unfriendly.

gisela-idol

Post by gisela-idol » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:27 am

Timbeaux wrote:NO, Never !
ohhh. why that? does copy paste operation hurts your feelings? why that? too complicated?
Or just because a trusty fan never looks back and eats what get served? Even when this is shit?