Crashing session: out of memory

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
dvanscoten

Crashing session: out of memory

Post by dvanscoten » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:05 pm

Hello all,
Recently several of my sessions have crashed and the errors say "out of memory." Most are large sessions, but I'm rarely pushing over 40% cpu power, and am pretty diligent about freezing/ flattening tracks with 3rd party vst's.

512 buffer size
MAC OS 10.8 (happenes on 10.7 too)
Ableton 8.3.4

Any insight here?

thanks
Derek VanScoten
www.dvsmusic.com

wjbuchanan

Re: Crashing session: out of memory

Post by wjbuchanan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Live is a 32-bit application, which means it can only address 3Gb of memory.

It sounds like you might be hitting this limit, which isn't related to CPU usage.

There is a 64-bit version in beta, which will address more memory - perhaps give it a shot?

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/abl ... t-support/

turnitto11

Post by turnitto11 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:23 am

How much RAM you have in your machine? If you're out of memory, you're likely needing more RAM for the project than your computer has.

If you have a lot of other applications open while Live is running, that's limiting the amount Live has access to.

And as mentioned above, Live is 32 bit, and if your Laptop has 2gb or 4gb of RAM, you're likely maxing it out. Upgrading to more RAM (if your computer supports it) will allow Live to use up to 4gb of RAM while the rest of your apps and OS use the other amounts of RAM you have. 64 bit live can use pretty much as much RAM as you can give it, so it's less likely to crash. But 64 bit version of Live is pointless (I think....) if you have 4gb or less.
MacBook Pro (13", 2.7ghz i7, 16gb, 10.9), Suite 9

dvanscoten

Post by dvanscoten » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:10 pm

i have 8gb on ram (brand new laptop, and am rarely running multiple apps when producing. i'll send a bug report to ableton. maybe it's a specific plug in that is draining it.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:11 am

If you are in session view, try to eliminate empty clips. On my side I had to separate the Live set in 2 parts (act 1 and act 2)

I convert everything to audio, so no VST running at all.

follow action makes you use empty clips to be able to play the next clip, I remove all those and replace them with midi clips that trigger next clip or scene.

Hope this helps.

Out of memory is not a bug... it's just the limit of 32 bits
Mac OSX 10.13.6
Live 9.7.6 Suite
Live 10.1.2 Suite
Soundcards : FF800, Apollo Twin duo

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:51 am

dvanscoten wrote:Hello all,
Recently several of my sessions have crashed and the errors say "out of memory." Most are large sessions, but I'm rarely pushing over 40% cpu power, and am pretty diligent about freezing/ flattening tracks with 3rd party vst's.

512 buffer size
MAC OS 10.8 (happenes on 10.7 too)
Ableton 8.3.4

Any insight here?

thanks
Derek VanScoten
http://www.dvsmusic.com

I had this issue in the past. I use a program called "MAXMEM" that flushes your ram. I always run it before launching Ableton Live (But never use it while using Ableton). The process size for Ableton Live 8 went from crashing at 2.9 GB to crashing at 3.4GB with Typical usage at 2.7GB.

(I am using a 8GB machine)
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Live crashes at around 3.2 GB of RAm use the cure is using Live 8 64bit beta. Use Jbridge to run 32bit plugins in Live 64bit.