A Sound Browser software for use with Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nc2010

A Sound Browser software for use with Ableton Live

Post by nc2010 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Hello,
I don't like Ableton Live 8's internal file browser because :
* too small
* when I press the first letter of a word, the cursor doesn't move to the first file with this letter (this is present in Windows' Explorer)
* the wheel of my mouse doesn't work in the browser, in order to scroll the list of files

Do you know some good Sound Browser software that I could use? (ALT+TAB => Sound Browser, ALT+TAB => back to Live)

Mac users, you do have Iced Audio Audiofinder, but we Windows users don't have it...
Any idea ?

A good browser that allows fast search in the samples, fast preview (auto-play), etc.

Thanks!

EDIT (2013-01-05) : As I really wanted this feature (fast preview of .wav files in Windows Explorer), I decided ... to code it myself! Here is my "AudioExplorer" add-on to Windows Explorer:
http://jeuxdorgues.com/audioexplorer/
Last edited by nc2010 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

H20nly

Re: A Sound Browser software for use with Ableton Live

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:10 pm

what version of Windows are you using?

nc2010

Post by nc2010 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Windows 7 64bit, but it was the same when I used XP 32bit

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:30 pm

i ask because Windows 7 has a very strong search function.

depending on how you have your library organized you could use the built in search and create a shortcut in Windows explorer directly to it. since you are already referencing using Alt + Tab then i am assuming you know your way around the keyboard a little bit...

sorry, i don't have any software in mind that will search for you, but the OS indexing in 7 is superb IMO, so you could make use of that while you search for something more to your liking... assuming that you don't just use said search feature on a more permanent basis.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

nc2010

Post by nc2010 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Thanks for tip, I think I don't use Windows 7 Search feature at its best.

Where do you enable all these Search features (indexing), with which parameters? What kind of indexing ? Full content ? Names only ?
If I remember well, I found lots of different places where I can enable/disable things about Windows 7 Search, that's why I finally gave up ...

Thanks in advance :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:05 pm

well... i'm not sure what you have changed, but out of the box the search feature just works. well.

if you have changed anything the way to fix it... is with the search feature :D

go to Start... type in index... by the time you get to the letter x you should see 'Indexing Options' at the top of the returned results. select that.

go to the Advanced tab in the resulting window.

if needed, you can rebuild your index from scratch there.

also... go to Start > click Computer

the resulting window (Windows Explorer) will have a list of your drives and such.. it will also have a Favorites bar on the left side. you can drag any file or folder over to the star labeled "Favorites" and create a shortcut to that resource.

if you hold the Windows key + E it will open Windows Explorer. now you have a shortcut that will take you almost directly to your new Favorites folder nc2010Library (for example) after you get there you can organize to your heart's content and use Alt + Tab to flip back and forth as mentioned in your OP.

hope this helps.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

nc2010

Post by nc2010 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:13 am

In fact there are 2 places :
* Control Panel Indexing options (don't know exat name in english)
* Control Panel Folder options > Search Tab

BTW, do you know why Ableton 8's internal browser search feature is so slow ? Is it the same for you ?
For example if I'm in a single folder with only 100 .wav files, Search for a wavefile by filename is very very long! It should be done in 0,001 second :)
Is it the same for you ?

PS : I'll try your "Favorite folder" trick as well, seems nice!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:56 pm

:D glad i could help.

i don't know why Live 8's browser is slow, but Live 9's browser works like that search function in Windows... it's lightening!

if you haven't seen this already... check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7dIkon ... r_embedded

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:25 am

Just wait for the marvelous L9 browser, maybe they'll manage to get it quite acceptable before the release!! :lol:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:12 pm

i still find parts of Live 9's browser cumbersome (of course it is just the beta at this point), but the thing is when you know you want a kick, you type in "kick" and a list of kicks come up... it really takes the brains out of it. why bother clicking your way through folder trees and sub trees when you don't have to? a couple of keystrokes vs. click scroll, click scroll, click scroll... and so on. what's not to like?... unless you REALLY can't spell...

db120

Post by db120 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:18 am

xplorer2 with the preview file option enabled:
http://zabkat.com/

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:00 pm

Icedaudio.com

audio finder
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Rogue Scrunt wrote:Icedaudio.com

audio finder
Too bad it's OSX only. I have heard of that somewhere else....probably here in another thread lol. Looks/sounds like a cool product (didn't waste time to see how much they whack you for).
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

nc2010

Post by nc2010 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi everybody,

I was looking for a browser with autoplay of .wav since years.... with no success. (and I got an answer from IcedAudio: AudioFinder will NEVER be available for Windows, too bad...)

BUT

As I really wanted this feature (fast preview of .wav files in Windows Explorer), I decided ... to code it myself! :D

Here is the first release of my "AudioExplorer" add-on to Windows Explorer (Win 7 / Vista / 8 ) :

I hope you'll like it! :D See the youtube video in order to know what it is about.

Any comment/feature request/etc. welcome!

All the best.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:35 pm

nc2010 wrote:Hi everybody,

I was looking for a browser with autoplay of .wav since years.... with no success. (and I got an answer from IcedAudio: AudioFinder will NEVER be available for Windows, too bad...)

BUT

As I really wanted this feature (fast preview of .wav files in Windows Explorer), I decided ... to code it myself! :D

Here is the first release of my "AudioExplorer" add-on to Windows Explorer (Win 7 / Vista / 8 ) :

I hope you'll like it! :D See the youtube video in order to know what it is about.

Any comment/feature request/etc. welcome!

All the best.

8O oh snap!

cool man!!!

bump