Page 4 of 4

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:38 am
by ian_halsall
MAGNETO_66 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:I'm fine with the new features. The main feature overlooked in your opinion is dual monitor support. It's my firm contention that Ableton will not budge on this. Early interviews with Gerhard Behles (the CEO or whatever of Ableton) had him flatly declaring his annoyance at floating windows, and that translates to the single window where even the embedded plug ins are not floating. So for the last 12 years or so that Live has been around they haven't changed course. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

The Automation issue in regards to PDC is the only one that I think is truly missing. Like a lot of users I'm not affected by it, but I respect the complaint for sure. :)
It's really surprising for me ... : Many people don't get the reason why many Ableton's users (i'm one of them) are complaining for the lack of dual monitor support in Live ... This is NOT a question of "space", we simply want to have a "mixer window" and a separated "arrangement window" just like all other DAWS users can have ! And Live IS a DAW (and a very good one !) How can You say that it's mainly a Sw dedicated to Live Performances purposes ? Maybe it was so in very early versions but now You can use Live in Recording Studios for producing ... and a DAW MUST have dual monitor support ... I simply don't understand this "resistance" ...
You can get something approaching what you want in arrangement just by making each channel strip taller.
Then most of the mixer controls are visible in the right part of the screen.
It's really nice because when you click a control the automation for that control immediately becomes visible in the arrangement.

For me dual windows is more important for simultaneous midi / instrument editing.

I wish they would implement what they have done for Sampler with some of the other stuff...

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:26 pm
by MAGNETO_66
Machinesworking wrote: It's quite simply their DAW, they design it. If you really need dual monitor support get one of the other full featured DAWs ...
Well, that's a good answer, the kind of answer that makes me seriously thinking about the option You're mentioning, :twisted: although i really like Ableton Live and swithing to another DAW would obviously a tough work, especially considering that i use Live for studio production AND live performances and i want to keep using only ONE software for both purposes ... so It seems there is only one alternative way, and it's still "beta testing" ... should i write its name :roll: ? ... Well, i'll think about it

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:14 pm
by Szuumm
I'm quite happy with the one-screen paradigm, but (and I realise we probably don't need another bright idea) I'd love to see some sort of "screen set" feature where you could instantly recall a "mixing" screen as Ian mentioned, or a sample editing one etc without having to do the manual resizing every time.

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:31 pm
by ian_halsall
oddstep wrote:
ambientidm wrote:for one you can rip any recording into midi
like a miles davis trumpet solo for example or gil evans arrangements without know squat about reading or writing
the push controller allows you to set the grid to specific scales which will also make chord inversions and voice leading easy to see
i have been dreaming about this for years
this will be tons of fun with arps and note repeat
beat boxing drum loops into drum kits
i can't wait to try this on some zakir hussain
i'd say that those changes are closer to "easier to play in key" and "easier to copy other people's playing style" rather than game changing... Its not "we can slice up breakbeats and take music somewhere that turntable djs could never go" is it?
Is Zakir Hussain a new type of Hash?

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:34 pm
by alexjholland
How about fuck off.

You don't run a business; you don't produce software; and you don't represent the views of me, or (likely) a significant proportion of this forum.

I enjoy Ableton; I think it's great; I will do my best to produce good music on whatever the latest version is - and am very excited about 9, which I'll enjoy when it arrives.

Get a life. If you think Ableton sucks, buy something else. If you think you could do better, do it.

Noone could care less about your whining. It's pathetic. Plenty have built careers on earlier, more basic versions of Ableton than you - so man up, start producing and stop pretending Ableton's new features are the only reason you've not done anything productive yet.

'A message to HQ and the Community', who do you think you are? Our elected representative? Fuck off.

Honestly, I could punch some of the soapbox assholes around here. It's a music program. If you have suggestions then by all means share them, but customers vote with one thing ultimately - their credit cards.

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:48 am
by pencilrocket
Machinesworking wrote:Early interviews with Gerhard Behles (the CEO or whatever of Ableton) had him flatly declaring his annoyance at floating windows, and that translates to the single window where even the embedded plug ins are not floating. So for the last 12 years or so that Live has been around they haven't changed course. I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Then how should I call the modal window we are seeing when we slice audio to midi? It's even more annoying than regular window because they are modal. Modal window is the worst thing for the live performance tool. It wouldn't have been there if his explainded concept had been the first priority of the development.

His explanation doesn't make a lot of sense.

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:50 am
by oddstep
I wonder if the absence of a separate arrangement window is a method for simplifying the object model for clip displays. Live's design has moved away from being a purely live performance tool, so the absence of a two monitor view could be related to something more fundamental than an aesthetic decision. Fun with speculation. I suppose that with M4L being part of Suite 9 max can be used to deliver a multimonitor mixdown interface. End of.

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:47 am
by ambientidm
ian_halsall wrote:
oddstep wrote:
ambientidm wrote:for one you can rip any recording into midi
like a miles davis trumpet solo for example or gil evans arrangements without know squat about reading or writing
the push controller allows you to set the grid to specific scales which will also make chord inversions and voice leading easy to see
i have been dreaming about this for years
this will be tons of fun with arps and note repeat
beat boxing drum loops into drum kits
i can't wait to try this on some zakir hussain
i'd say that those changes are closer to "easier to play in key" and "easier to copy other people's playing style" rather than game changing... Its not "we can slice up breakbeats and take music somewhere that turntable djs could never go" is it?
Is Zakir Hussain a new type of Hash?
ummm.... no
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUwFc5VCZCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLJdiUTpR8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l0f_Vvvy4Q

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:10 pm
by MAGNETO_66
alexjholland wrote:How about fuck off.

You don't run a business; you don't produce software; and you don't represent the views of me, or (likely) a significant proportion of this forum.

I enjoy Ableton; I think it's great; I will do my best to produce good music on whatever the latest version is - and am very excited about 9, which I'll enjoy when it arrives.

Get a life. If you think Ableton sucks, buy something else. If you think you could do better, do it.

Noone could care less about your whining. It's pathetic. Plenty have built careers on earlier, more basic versions of Ableton than you - so man up, start producing and stop pretending Ableton's new features are the only reason you've not done anything productive yet.

'A message to HQ and the Community', who do you think you are? Our elected representative? Fuck off.

Honestly, I could punch some of the soapbox assholes around here. It's a music program. If you have suggestions then by all means share them, but customers vote with one thing ultimately - their credit cards.
Keep quiet and calm if You can, and in any case i can suggest some very good psycotherapists for You ...it seems You really need them ! Or maybe it's just a question of rudeness ... B.T.W. ... if You only could read carefully the comments here (but obviously you can't), NO ONE is telling that Live isn't a very good SW ... Now All we are very impatient of listening to YOUR musical masterpieces :mrgreen: .... Alàs, no moderators on this forum :?:

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:59 am
by leisuremuffin
This needs more love:
morbid wrote:You know I love Coca Cola

But they rushed the launch of the Christmas can this year.

I was expecting thumbgrip intergration, less phosphoric acid per ml, modular and interchangeable ringpulls etc etc. Not to mention that Santa looks like a sex offender this year (And you can thank the marketing team for that one!)

The whole thing looks rushed, shamefully postmodern and has poor integration with other can based beverages which are widely available. Not to mention the fact that they refuse to acknowledge their mistake in removing the cocaine from the recipe in 1903.

When are they going to wake up and listen to us - the end user?

I'm drinking water only until the CEO himself agrees to suck me off whilst wearing a Santa suit.

one of the best things i've read on this forum, ever.

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:47 pm
by H20nly
leisuremuffin wrote:This needs more love:
morbid wrote:You know I love Coca Cola

But they rushed the launch of the Christmas can this year.

I was expecting thumbgrip intergration, less phosphoric acid per ml, modular and interchangeable ringpulls etc etc. Not to mention that Santa looks like a sex offender this year (And you can thank the marketing team for that one!)

The whole thing looks rushed, shamefully postmodern and has poor integration with other can based beverages which are widely available. Not to mention the fact that they refuse to acknowledge their mistake in removing the cocaine from the recipe in 1903.

When are they going to wake up and listen to us - the end user?

I'm drinking water only until the CEO himself agrees to suck me off whilst wearing a Santa suit.



one of the best things i've read on this forum, ever.
agreed. well played too.

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:42 am
by MAGNETO_66
H20nly wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:This needs more love:
morbid wrote:You know I love Coca Cola

But they rushed the launch of the Christmas can this year.

I was expecting thumbgrip intergration, less phosphoric acid per ml, modular and interchangeable ringpulls etc etc. Not to mention that Santa looks like a sex offender this year (And you can thank the marketing team for that one!)

The whole thing looks rushed, shamefully postmodern and has poor integration with other can based beverages which are widely available. Not to mention the fact that they refuse to acknowledge their mistake in removing the cocaine from the recipe in 1903.

When are they going to wake up and listen to us - the end user?

I'm drinking water only until the CEO himself agrees to suck me off whilst wearing a Santa suit.
The more i read these sarcastic comments, the more i want to follow machinesworking suggestion :evil: ... Switching to "the enemy" will be a tough work but maybe i'll fell more comfortable ... ;-)




one of the best things i've read on this forum, ever.
agreed. well played too.

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:51 pm
by leisuremuffin
NO DON'T LEAVE :cry: WE NEED YOU :wink: DON'T WORRY WE'LL TAKE YOU SUPER SERIOUSLY :mrgreen: NO SARCASM!!! 8)

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:06 pm
by MAGNETO_66
leisuremuffin wrote:NO DON'T LEAVE :cry: WE NEED YOU :wink: DON'T WORRY WE'LL TAKE YOU SUPER SERIOUSLY :mrgreen: NO SARCASM!!! 8)
Ahahahaha :mrgreen: You're too nice, i'm getting confused and embarassed :oops: :lol: ... However, one things for sure, this kind of discussions are usualy pretty useless : i've got my point of view and i share it with may other people who think that having dual screen support and a chance og getting a full screen separated mixer windows should be implemented (in arrangement view); some other people think otherwise and every point of view deserves respect ... At the end, ABleton's go on on its way, so all we can just accept it or leave it ... :-) that's all!