Learning to mix on Ableton Live with APC40

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
damuel

Learning to mix on Ableton Live with APC40

Post by damuel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:11 pm

I am going to buy an APC40 this week. I know the basics of ableton but not a whole ton. I really just want to learn to mix ableton live on stage. How long do you think it should take me before I know how to mix and play shows without any problems just using my laptop and the APC40? I try to put at least a little bit of time figuring out ableton every day.

jtdj

Re: Learning to mix on Ableton Live with APC40

Post by jtdj » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 am

The main skill you will be employing, is pressing the "Play" button. This is gonna require a lot of skill on the part of your thumb. Make sure you have a strong, perhaps training in thumb wars is the ideal preparation before a gig. Another vital skill would be hand to eye coordination; if you miss the "Play" button with your thumb your gonna look a right tit on stage, i recommend a few legs of 501 darts to get your coordination up to live standard. The final skill that is a must is the ability to pretend you are actually doing something while each track plays, automatically beat matched of course, you will need to have a few blank faders and knobs to turn and also perfect the hand in the air movement to fill in the time before pressing that all important "Play" button again. Godspeed sir.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Are you capable of djing without it?

The whole point of controllers is to overcome the frustrating limitations of a qwerty keyboard and a single pointer mouse.

Although the keyboard and mouse can do pretty much anything, the tactile sense can feel off, or, they might feel extremely limited for multitasking.

This is where the controllers come in.

In other words, you should be very capable by now, of djing without it for the most part.

And then purchasing it, will make life a hell of a lot better by giving you the controls you need and flexibility in clip launching.

If you aren't able to dj yet, the APC is still fun, but it won't magically make it happen.

rap masta rj

Post by rap masta rj » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:01 pm

jtdj wrote:The main skill you will be employing, is pressing the "Play" button. This is gonna require a lot of skill on the part of your thumb. Make sure you have a strong, perhaps training in thumb wars is the ideal preparation before a gig. Another vital skill would be hand to eye coordination; if you miss the "Play" button with your thumb your gonna look a right tit on stage, i recommend a few legs of 501 darts to get your coordination up to live standard. The final skill that is a must is the ability to pretend you are actually doing something while each track plays, automatically beat matched of course, you will need to have a few blank faders and knobs to turn and also perfect the hand in the air movement to fill in the time before pressing that all important "Play" button again. Godspeed sir.
This post contains large amounts of both sarcasm and truth. :lol: