Removed Stop Buttons still not working with Live 8 or Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
solovox

Removed Stop Buttons still not working with Live 8 or Live 9

Post by solovox » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:37 am

I have confirmed that the beta of Live 9 and the most recent version of Live 8 are still not remembering Removed Stop Buttons from saved .als files.

Dragging a cluster of clips as an .als file into a blank Session screen still does not remember correctly the removed stop buttons the way it does flawlessly in Live 7 or even Live 6.

This is a critical musical feature for scene changing and keeping clips playing while adding new clips to the sound.

I'm begging the development team to please FIX THIS BUG and return Live's functionality to where it was with Live 7, 6, etc...Thank you!

infernal.machine

Re: Removed Stop Buttons still not working with Live 8 or Live 9

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:00 am

1. Removed stop buttons work for me in live 8 and 9, never had any problems loading from set to set.

2. If you're going to post about 9, do so in the beta forums.

solovox

Post by solovox » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:13 am

Hmm...then I'm not describing the issue properly, because it definitely does -not- work.

Create a cluster of clips (audio) and remove certain stop buttons adjacent to the clips. Save the file. Open up a BLANK Session view with audio tracks, and then drag this .als 'song' into the blank screen. You will see that the removed stop buttons have not been remembered...there will be stop buttons on every box.

If you are doing something different to accomplish the goal please let me know. The bug has been verified with Live's development team and I'm merely pointing out it has not been fixed with Live 9 to my dismay...and I figure now's the time to mention it, not when 9 gets released.
Live Show Rig: MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Motu Ultralite

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 am

Have you posted it in the beta forum? That would be the most likely way to get a fix or at least a response from Ableton.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

solovox

Post by solovox » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:33 am

I have not because I unfortunately was not given a Live 9 serial number--I confirmed the bug through a friend who has a Live 9 beta. Without a copy myself I cannot see or post on the Beta Forum. I would be greatly appreciative if someone passed along this information to the developers on that forum...thank you

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:27 pm

I've just verified this using the last beta so I'll post it as a problem.

solovox

Post by solovox » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:47 pm

Thank you!

solovox

Post by solovox » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:45 pm

funken wrote:Your best bet in the meantime is to use audio clips with the volume turned right down instead of deleting the stop button.
Unfortunately this still -stops- the clips that were playing on these tracks. While definitely more sophisticated now, I've used the same scene-changing and song-building techniques with Live since 2002. The whole point is to keep clips on one row still running while adding new elements on a scene-by-scene basis.

Using 'turned-down' audio clips, Legato clips, Follow-Action Clips, etc, etc...do not solve the problem. The frustrating thing is that Ableton was quite proud of 'drag and drop' .als files with Live 5, Live 6, and Live 7. It should not be that hard to simply fix this oversight...and it's critical to how I perform with live keyboards, etc.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Apparently it's "on their tracking system", what priority they've assigned to it and if/when it might get fixed is anyone's guess.

solovox

Post by solovox » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:26 pm

Hmm...well that's good to hear! I don't understand the code that happens with a program like this, but it seems like since it worked so well once it shouldn't be hard to 'copy and paste' it back into the code? :wink:

Come on Abes!!

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:17 am

To keep this thread active on the Abes' radar I've kept my descriptions of my technique very brief because I have a hunch that Wordy Posts=No Love. Breaking that attempt, and to answer your question:

I perform with nine tracks of audio and 20 tracks of live midi instruments...I'm a keyboardist. Video below.

I have never pre-planned a set in 11 years of shows. I took Ableton up on their offer (created in 2005) to Drag n Drop full .als files onto a BLANK Session View. I now have all of my songs arranged in 20-40 clip 'clusters' that I choose...onstage...what I'm going to play next. Removing stop buttons allows me to have a drum clip playing, for example, and then trigger a different SCENE while not interrupting the drum loop. So, for example, a bass line on Scene #2 adds an element to the drum loop from Scene #1. Now imagine this on a more complicated scale. And no...Legato clips do not work for everything. It's really far more complicated than I can type out here. I recently gave a lecture at an Ableton Live User group and suffice to say, I've created a pretty advanced level of 'Live' usage for this program.

I've tried every workaround. The bottom line is simple: it used to work. It worked for years. It should still work now. I hope they fix it. :)

Video showing what I do and how I almost killed 2,000 people in the process:
http://video.pbs.org/video/2292083119

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:45 am

I hear you. I also drag clusters of clips into my library and have run into the same issue. no showstopper for me, as I don't build sets on stage, I prepare them beforehand, because I don't trust live to let me drag complex songs without hanging or spinning beachballs for a while. But it really should work as desired .

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:48 am

One thing I noticed while playing with this is that it doesn't add any stop buttons from the dragged .als file either.

So maybe you could remove all the stop buttons from the relevant tracks and then make your own stop buttons, if you need them, by adding a very short, silent, single shot clip in the .als file for the scene.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:52 am

that's actually a good tip, I will change my bigsong template to "stop buttons only where needed", as I read elsewhere that removing stop buttons improves CPU-load.

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:57 am

crumhorn wrote:One thing I noticed while playing with this is that it doesn't add any stop buttons from the dragged .als file either.

So maybe you could remove all the stop buttons from the relevant tracks and then make your own stop buttons, if you need them, by adding a very short, silent, single shot clip in the .als file for the scene.
Now THAT is a fine suggestion--and one I think I considered long ago...thanks for reminding me. It will be god-awful visually, as everything will be solid with either a 'real' clip or a 'dummy' clip...but truth be told your method -will- work I believe. Thank you.

STILL--it would be far greater and, ahem, decent of the Ableton Team to simply reinstate what was already a solid and wonderful feature in the first place.

I am using Live 7 to this day onstage because of this oversight.