Everyone is buying Beats, but still feeling my beyerdynamic.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Big Data

Everyone is buying Beats, but still feeling my beyerdynamic.

Post by Big Data » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:20 am

Really pleased with the quality of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms.
Been using them for quite some time now as I watch everyone around me get
the latest Beats headphones.
What is your opinion? Should I explore new Beats for better quality when
producing from a laptop, on the road?
BDMC
Big Data Mining Co.
facebook.com/bigdatamusic

JMFOne

Re: Everyone is buying Beats, but still feeling my beyerdynamic.

Post by JMFOne » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:31 am

Beats are not studio monitor headphones so will not represent your music accurately. You don't want headphones that lie to you, you want the most honest non-colouring ones you can get.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

vitalispopoff

Post by vitalispopoff » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:36 am

completely agree. got a dt150 and although I look like a cameraman from '70s tv station, wouldn't exchange it for any other headphones even if paid for that.
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:40 am

I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250 series,and love them!!!

Almost like wearing a pair of comfy slippers on your ears :D

I always tell people if your serious about buying headphones,shop around,and try a few pair's out before you make your purchase

Usually if you look after your headphones,could last an easy 5 years,pending on use as well of course!
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 am

I think you should join the crowd and get a pair of these bad ass hipster ear fashion cans.

They are called Beats, so they will make your beats next level shit.

It says studio right on the side, so they must be great for studio use. Take a step up and pay even more for the one with 'Pro' stamped on the side.

You will become an instant pro.
Beats Pro
The headphones used to mix in every major studio 8O .
Beats Pro headphones are designed for sound engineers, musicians, and those who take sound seriously. They’re the headphones that artists like Will.i.am use in the studio, and are designed to deliver the same level of emotion and power the artist originally intended.
Good enough for Justin Bieber, Niki Minaj, Azealia Banks, Dr Dre & P Diddy , I say....

Join The Movement

Features
Powerful enough to block out a jet engine.

Powered by a pair of AAA batteries, the noise cancellation feature in a pair of Beats Studio headphones amplifies the music as it blocks out noise, giving you consistently powerful and intense sound.
That's gotta be great for your ears. Especially when listening to music next to jet engines.

Super plush and covered with ultra-soft breathable materials, you’ll be cool and comfortable even during marathon listening sessions. The Beats by Dr. Dre logo on the side also acts as a mute button when you press it. No need to take them off to talk.
That's right !! You can glue these babies on your head, or have them surgically fixed to your ears, & never take em off.......Ever!!!!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:35 am

Beats = ridiculously tweaked audio frequencies, poor build quality (at the price), questionable value for consumers (other than hype) as many cans @10% Beats price may sound better. Zero value, actually minus value for professional use - I mean pro audio, since if you are pro football player it seems like compulsory to wear Beats at all time outside of the pitch. That is the only excellent thing about Beats - marketing, unquestionably second to none. Monster always excelled in convincing customers that it is worth to pay more for mythical values but Beats are their biggest success.
If you want celebrity certified headphones try AKG Quincy Jones 701 model.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:43 am

Wow Sibanger those quotes beat everything I ever heard about Beats. My absolutely fav :
" They’re the headphones that artists like Will.i.am use in the studio, and are designed to deliver the same level of emotion and power the artist originally intended" - translation: "non headphones for non musician"s, alternative translation: "fakes for fakes"

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:53 am

^^

Yep rikhyray, I had to hold myself back from getting my credit card out & going nuts.

The marketing is mind blowing. I couldn't believe what I was reading, hence the sarcastic rant.

To OP, I was not having a go at you in any way.... Just the marketing strategy from this company.

If I were you, I would stick with your current headphones if you are happy with them.
Last edited by Sibanger on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Data

Post by Big Data » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 am

Yea; currently I mirror a similar sentiment,
but still looking to learn more about Beats.
Seems like perhaps beyerdynamic for studio, Beats for performance?
Got some exploring to do.

Found this review / article with related insight:

http://reviews.headphonecommute.com/201 ... headphone/

JMFOne wrote:Beats are not studio monitor headphones so will not represent your music accurately. You don't want headphones that lie to you, you want the most honest non-colouring ones you can get.
BDMC
Big Data Mining Co.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:40 am

Big Data wrote:Yea; currently I mirror a similar sentiment,

JMFOne wrote:Beats are not studio monitor headphones so will not represent your music accurately. You don't want headphones that lie to you, you want the most honest non-colouring ones you can get.
If you need something @ lower Ohms, and for stage, DJ listening on the move check Aiaiai - designed by Danish company together with some top pro DJs. Superb design, elegant, no dorky branding and tuned in a way to be easy on the ears. I was sceptical at first, since though similar to Sennheiser HD 25, have "muted" top range. Something you can learn/get used to, on other hand some might say HD25 highs are hyped - in any case Aiaiais have more comfortable sound and I managed after not much time to adjusted my perception, in a way equalising in the brain. Year ago I bought another pair of HD 25 after 101 with Aiaiai, it was difficult choice- I liked the Aiaiais more but felt 25s are more precise in upper range. Yet, this is exactly why they tuned them this way, to prevent ringing in the ears, morning after club night. After using Tracks and Capital for some time decided to give the DJ model another try and got converted.
Used to use HD 600 for mixing, mastering, HD25 for tracking and DJing and Shure, Ultimate ears or Aiaiai Tracks, Capital for listening on the move. Now use 90% of the time Aiaiai DJ and occasionally HD 600. Using same cans most of the time is very practical because of referencing
Last edited by rikhyray on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Big Data

Post by Big Data » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:46 am

The Aiaiais look tight+
Gd suggestion.

rikhyray wrote:
Big Data wrote:Yea; currently I mirror a similar sentiment,

If you need something @ lower Ohms, and for stage, DJ listening on the move check Aiaiai - designed by Danish company together with some top pro DJs. Superb design, elegant, no idiotic branding and tuned in a way to be easy on the ears. I was sceptical at first, since though similar to Sennheiser HD 25, have with "muted" top range. Something you can get used to, on other hand some might say HD25 highs are hyped - in any case Aiaiais have more comfortable sound and I managed after not much time to adjusted my perception, in a way equalising in the brain.
Used to use HD 600 for mixing, mastering, HD25 for tracking and DJing and Shure, Ultimate ears or Aiaiai Tracks, Capital for listening on the move. Now use 90% of the time Aiaiai DJ and occasionally HD 600. Using same cans most of the time is very practical because of referencing
BDMC
Big Data Mining Co.

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:00 pm

Consumer shite and a waste of money, stick to pro audio brands

Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:06 am

Love my dt 770s

Alfonso Muchacho

Post by Alfonso Muchacho » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:43 am

I'd honestly be embarrassed to wear a pair of these "Beats". You're better off getting "sucker" tattooed on your forehead, at least that wont affect your mixing decisions.