Guitarist and singer. Live or Logic?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
vikhend

Guitarist and singer. Live or Logic?

Post by vikhend » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:50 am

Hi. I guess this question has been raised before but I've searched and couldn't find one that really answered my questions.

I've been playing music for all my life but have never been interested in the recording part of it - now I am and want to buy a program that suits my needs.

The kind of music I play/intend to play: think Tame Impala mashed with Frank Ocean. (Psyc-pop/rock and modern R&B)

My needs:
1 I like to play with my voice so I need to have many vocal-trax and fantastic effects.
2 I play bass, guitar and banjo. Who's got the best and most authentic amp and effect simulators?
3 Best synths?
4 Who's got the best sounding & most authentic drums?
5 Which one is easiest to record music on the go with? - (mostly) Guitar and vocals
6 Which is best to mix and master?

VERY thankful for all answers!

Best
Fred

turnitto11

Re: Guitarist and singer. Live or Logic?

Post by turnitto11 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:24 am

Live and Logic are my two main DAWs. In my non-expert experience:

1 I like to play with my voice so I need to have many vocal-trax and fantastic effects.
Logic has a better selection of Reverbs and delays and there's more you can do with them. Live has a vocodor, which can make things sound weird. Logic has pitch correction, and their vocal transformer which can do some weird stuff too.

2 I play bass, guitar and banjo. Who's got the best and most authentic amp and effect simulators?
No experience with the guitar amp and pedal simulations in either. Bass amp sims are dece in Logic though.

3 Best synths?
Both excellent, depends what you make with them. More flexibility in Live, I think.

Little experience with simulation drums in Logic. Live comes with some good ones, you can always download new samples to put in a drum rack or collision.

5 Which one is easiest to record music on the go with? - (mostly) Guitar and vocals
I feel like Live is quicker to do this with, but neither are too tough. I personally seem to get along better with Logic though, that's just my "go to" for real instruments.

Logic. Lots of personal preference here, but I like Logic's layout the most for this. But in Live you can see all parameters for your effects for a channel in a single window. Haven't mastered in Live yet, no experience there.

I tend to lean towards Logic when recording with mics, but when stuff is mostly made with virtual instruments, I go towards Live because it's much quicker to do that in Live. But there's lots of overlap in both. In Logic, there are loads of effects that come with it, lots of different models to work with. Live comes with fewer, but they're pretty practical and versatile.
MacBook Pro (13", 2.7ghz i7, 16gb, 10.9), Suite 9

vikhend

Post by vikhend » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:45 am

Fantastic! Thank you!
I've been looking at Live 8 Suite - If you have that in consideration, does it change anything?
Thanks again!

fedexnman

Post by fedexnman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:49 am

Well if you have a Mac you already got Garageband free for starters , its like Logic Jr. So I'd get an audio interface 1st, if your dead set on Mac/Apple stuff then get a Apogee Duet2 http://apogeedigital.com/products/duet2.php and a Shure sm58 you can use this as a multi purpose mic as well as vocals . Logic's like $199 Apple app store , so it'll be cheaper than Live8/9 as well . Also look for a copy of Live lite that comes with midi controllers or used software/marketplaces etc etc. or Demo Live 8 . Both are excellent software for musicians !! You cant go wrong with either of them .

turnitto11

Post by turnitto11 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:12 am

Yeah, mess with Garageband first! I always forget that it exists. Garageband is seriously awesome, Apple gives you a pretty good DAW for free, and some sweet AU effects!
MacBook Pro (13", 2.7ghz i7, 16gb, 10.9), Suite 9

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:14 am

vikhend wrote:Hi. I guess this question has been raised before but I've searched and couldn't find one that really answered my questions.

I've been playing music for all my life but have never been interested in the recording part of it - now I am and want to buy a program that suits my needs.

The kind of music I play/intend to play: think Tame Impala mashed with Frank Ocean. (Psyc-pop/rock and modern R&B)

My needs:
3 Best synths?

VERY thankful for all answers!

Best
Fred
Do you intend to form a band?
If so you can do
1. TC Helicon
2. Sub Interface out to your Guitar Amp then record it with a 57 or 58 + direct line out, really cool guitar recording effect
3. Microkorg
4. Drummer with a pair of 57s and a 52 + midi triggers so you can sequence the performer using any drum samples
5. Record guitar on top of a Drums and bass track then vocals after guitar track
6. Logic for DAW, Ableton if you want to do Laptop Performance

You may want some units so you can do studio session recordings and live performance so you don't have to worry about sounding "way off" in live situations.

Sage

Post by Sage » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Some of the questions asked are more about an individual's ability to produce, not the software itself. In regards to drum samples, its too easy to get decent, realistic samples off the net, so shouldn't need to be a factor in the purchasing decision, same goes for synths, plenty of free stuff out there, although I don't like Logic's synths at all, the UIs make them look like toys and overcomplicate everything. Generally I stick to Logic for traditional recording as its better tailored for that and Live for electronic work, as instrument & effect racks, as well as routing in Live over all is way beyond Logic's capabilities.

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:18 pm

GarageBand and Logic, although part of the same 'family' are actually significantly different. They are in many ways conceptually different as well and their learning curves reflect that. Just because you may understand GB does not mean that Logic will also make immediate sense. If you are starting your recording journey then GB is entirely capable and nothing would be wasted should you move up to Logic and or sideways to Live. As Sage has already said, your abilities to 'produce' would influence some of your points more than the software per se. GB is free, and for a very small investment you can also add Mainstage to your experience, not only from a loop library perspective, but also from a performance perspective. Assuming you already have a mac, spending time in GB would not be wasted prior to dropping your hard earned cash on bigger DAW.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:31 pm

if your recording live instruments are you not going to want comping? live doent logic does.
ableton is an instrument for ideas... the best there is.
logic is a tool that has everything and WILL take longer to learn but they really have thought of everything in there all bar a couple of things which are:

Hot swap browser. this i miss most when in logic the ability to audition sounds and loops in context so quickly... hot swap is EPIC! ive done work arounds in logic but i still miss hot swap.

Racks. super quick and super fun although there are 3rd party chainers out there like DDMFs one. and basic stuff is easy enough in logics environment (which is like a time machine into the past LOL

Being able to side chain from a midi track without having to bus it to an aux to get it audio. (logic can only use audio as side chain)

other than that logic is considered better for recording and processing actual takes.
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words