Keith McMillen SoftStep with Win7 x64 / Ableton ??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Peevy

Keith McMillen SoftStep with Win7 x64 / Ableton ??

Post by Peevy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:47 am

I'm thinking of getting a softstep, but I'd like to know first if there are many of you using it with Win7 x64 & preferable Live x64. I know that mid yoke doesn't work with Live x64 but I think there's another midi port app called loopmidi that does. I'm also wondering how well the softstep program runs in Win7 x64, is it buggy does it crash a lot. I think that if you don't want to go too crazy with the softstep preset parameters, you can use it in standalone mode with out having to use midi yoke or loopmidi. Is that true?

Any input you might have would be great thanks :)
Image Image Image Image

Peevy

Re: Keith McMillen SoftStep with Win7 x64 / Ableton ??

Post by Peevy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Well I ordered it anyway from Thomann, hopefully it gets here this week. I've installed Loopmidi just to check & its showing up fine in Ableton Beta x64. So fingers crossed its not toooo hard to setup &/or buggy on Win 7 x64.
Image Image Image Image

ChiefNugget

Post by ChiefNugget » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:07 pm

not sure about Live 64-bit, but i use Win 7 64-bit with latest stable Live release and SoftStep. works just fine. you will likely want to run SoftStep in "Standalone" mode instead of "Hosted". The Hosted mode runs SoftStep editor software in the background which eats up a lot of RAM and requires the MIDI to be routed through MIDI yoke or the like. Standalone mode can route MIDI directly into live. The MIDI device will be named SSCOM.
I need a baby sit my boys and work the day job plug-in.

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:11 am

+1 for standalone mode

Peevy

Post by Peevy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:00 am

My apologies for the late reply guys, I appreciate your feedback.

I've been using the softstep for a while now on Win7 x64 with Loopmidi, which works really well in a 64bit host/DAW. I haven't been using it in standalone mode but your right about the high ram usage, although I'm not too bad on win7 as I have 8gig ram.

I've recently moved to an i7 quadcore 2012 Mac Mini (which has been great so far, never liked windows) for my main DAW work & haven't had a chance to use the softstep with it yet. Think I'm gonna have to bump the ram up to 16gig soon because 4gig definitely isn't enough, not only for use with the softstep but in general.

Keith Mcmillen's Softstep is a truly brilliant midi controller , & not just for Guitarists but for any musician really. Especially if like me you like to play as much of your music as possible (less midi editing) & tweak synth parameters with your feet on the softstep while recording. But that's only a small part of what you can do with the SoftStep.
Image Image Image Image

Marinda

Post by Marinda » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:48 am

ChiefNugget wrote:not sure about Live 64-bit, but i use Win 7 64-bit with latest stable Live release and SoftStep. works just fine. you will likely want to run SoftStep in "Standalone" mode instead of "Hosted". The Hosted mode runs SoftStep editor software in the background which eats up a lot of RAM and requires the MIDI to be routed through MIDI yoke or the like. Standalone mode can route MIDI directly into live. The MIDI device will be named SSCOM.
its very good to do .