13" Retina MacBook Pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sputnik303

13" Retina MacBook Pro

Post by sputnik303 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting one of these but want to know if any of you guys have any experience with them running Live & various plug-ins?

I hear that Live looks quite pixellated on the retinas but I received an email from Ableton last week to say that a fix is being worked on for this (no release date yet).

My main concern though is if the 13" retina is up to the job running Live with various NI plug-ins? I hear that the new screen uses alot of precessing power so not sure if there may be issues running a complex Live project (as there is no dicrete graphics processor).

My other option would be 8gb super-spec'd MacBook Air. Ultimately I'm heading to South East Asia in early 2013 for 3 months so I'm looking for a portable studio (hence the 13").

Thanks,

Paul

vitalispopoff

Re: 13" Retina MacBook Pro

Post by vitalispopoff » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:53 pm

I'd rather suggest MBpro or any other series that allows to extend RAM volume.
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank

philipc

Post by philipc » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:11 pm

My 15" retina MBP struggles with games but the graphics demands of Live aren't that great. I doubt you'll have any problems there. It eats all my sets for breakfast.

sputnik303

Post by sputnik303 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks Guys.

philipc - does it look OK or do you find it ugly (with it not being "optomised" for the retina screen)?

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:47 pm

If you're only looking at using it for music software and nothing much graphic orientated, its a massive waste of money and you are better off getting the non-retina ones.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Get at least 8 GB of RAM, Mountain Lion uses a lot...

My 15" 2.6 GHz i7 rMBP's 16 GB only ever get used when I load huge sample libraries - but RAM isn't that expensive.

Our sets with 40+ track count and lots of synth AUs / FX chain madness are no problem for the machine, hardly ever hits 15% CPU usage @ 128 samples during recording, with built-in Core Audio as well as with the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40's drivers.
2.3 GHz won't be much weaker, google for some benchmarks to compare.

Retina pixelation doesn't bother me much.
I do some video and audio-to-video editing from time to time, that's where the Retina really shines. (more space when I'm on the road without an external monitor!)

Depending on what you do, you might want to evaluate getting a non-Retina though.
My advice would be to make one pro/contra and price comparison list, considering manual upgrades you might have to do if you go with a non-Retina.

Cheers,
Moritz

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:06 pm

I just upgraded to a 15" Retina MBP last month, and so far it's been a great change. Yes, there is some pixelation in some apps, but it bothers me a LOT less than I thought it would. There's a workaround as well using some of the resolution switchers like QuickRes that WILL make Live look like it's in Retina mode if you really want, a search of the forums should turn up threads on that. I do a lot of email and internet work on this laptop too, and the retina display is so much better for these things that I dont even mind if my audio apps are still not optimized.

Remember, RAM cannot be upgraded on the retina MBPs, so get what you need now. I went with the stock 8GB and so far it's been fine. Also, check Amazon.com for MBP's before you by. They had the top of the line 15" I got for $400 less than Apple at the time, lots of good sales there right now.

sputnik303

Post by sputnik303 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks for the useful replies all. I will also be using it for Lightroom/Photoshop so I'm veering towards the Retin with 8gb RAM. Sounds like Live runs fine on it so happy.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Sage wrote:If you're only looking at using it for music software and nothing much graphic orientated, its a massive waste of money and you are better off getting the non-retina ones.

I’d have to agree but it does kind of create a conundrum. For most it is completely unnecessary and I don’t think a lot of the software is there yet but since a MBP isn’t something somebody generally buys every year it’s better to be ahead of the times for when it becomes standard.