All times are UTC

Post subject: If you use a Drum Machine, which one is it?!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:27 pm 

So a teacher of mine was telling me about how he just invested in the new Spark Vintage Drum Machine.

He said it was a software of quality and is very interesting. I've heard mixed things about this specific drum machine.

I'm trying to choose wisely on which one I invest in getting. I understand Ableton can supply all you need to make kickin' drum beats, but I want to venture into a machine and see where that takes me.

So I'm here to ask: What would you recommend when it comes to drum machines, especially ones that work well with ableton. Heck, it must work with ableton!

Thanks guys/gals.

Post subject: Re: If you use a Drum Machine, which one is it?!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:42 pm 

For that modern punchy kick/snare sound you hear so much in EDM, you simply have to own a Korg Minipops 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GreT8r4UOTQ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:02 am 

Ableton Push sounds like a moderately priced, but flexible option (aside from relying on a computer, but it sounds like that is not a problem?). You can use the on screen display to load a number of instruments into a Drum Rack, and edit via the rotaries. (A couple months ago, Ableton even put out an artist's modular-based drum patches) https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/dm-arp-2600-drums/

One feature that Spark has which I wish I could find in more places is the ability to have tempos matched to patterns.

Oh, and the iPad is very flexible. There is a large variety of styles of drum machines etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:07 am 

to get started...
I'd go with the Maschine Mikro.. it's the best deal in town currently imo
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... ine-mikro/

you can get the 1st generation used for around 150$ on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:12 am 

Fxspansion's Geist! Get that, you wont regret it.

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=120

And holy Sh*t! It's on sale!

Music

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:55 am 

djadonis206 wrote:
Fxspansion's Geist! Get that, you wont regret it.

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=120

And holy Sh*t! It's on sale!

This

3dot... wrote:
to get started...
I'd go with the Maschine Mikro.. it's the best deal in town currently imo
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... ine-mikro/

you can get the 1st generation used for around 150$ on Ebay

This or

Arturia Spark. It's 399 on sale until the 31st and its got a 16 step sequencer controller.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:52 am 

Have to agree with the shout for Maschine Mikro. I have the full bersion MkI and it's a lot of fun and seriously creative. Both the full and Mikro MkI versions can be picked up dirt cheap right now.

I still can't get into Geist but a lot of others are very positive about it. I think I just prefer using Live's Drum Racks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:58 am 

here you can see Arturia's Spark & MiniBrute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMLcM5xVies

ps. I think the current Geist offer is very good, so makes sense to try the demo at least.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:15 pm 

I would recommend Native Instruments Maschine or Mikro.
I use a Roland TR909, TR707, TR727 and JoMoX Xbase09.

I bought Maschine earlier this year and haven't looked back.
Integration with Ableton live is fantastic with multiple audio outs direct into Ableton tracks.
It operates in standalone mode or as a vst instrument .
Maschine also hosts vst instruments and vst plugins on individual sounds or on groups or on master tracks.

It is fantastic.
You could probably pick up a MK 1 version ( without flashing colours ) for very reasonable money on eBay.

gsm909

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:24 pm 

I like the MPC for making beats. And I don't make hip hop.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:34 pm 

MPCs are cool, used to have a 2000xl, a 1000 and then a 2000xl again (which was sequencing loads of gear, 2 drum machines, 3 synths, sending CCs to several effect units) until, earlier this year, I made the jump in the ITB bandwagon.
I replaced the MPC with maschine since I need pads to play drum beat. Had a 909 and a machinedrum, stepsequencer is cool but the limitation of the “hardware” quantization of drum machines is sometimes too limiting (at least for me) so having both options on board (like maschine does) is very nice feature.
Another big plus of maschine compared to an MPC is the sample library manageability.
Copying samples to and off CF cards…bleah, dealing with RAM limitation of MPCs.. also bleah exp. when preparing livesets.
SO I’d say go for maschine!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:46 am 

tone61 wrote:
here you can see Arturia's Spark & MiniBrute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMLcM5xVies

ps. I think the current Geist offer is very good, so makes sense to try the demo at least.

That was awesome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:58 am 

störgeräusche wrote:
MPCs are cool, used to have a 2000xl, a 1000 and then a 2000xl again (which was sequencing loads of gear, 2 drum machines, 3 synths, sending CCs to several effect units) until, earlier this year, I made the jump in the ITB bandwagon.
I replaced the MPC with maschine since I need pads to play drum beat. Had a 909 and a machinedrum, stepsequencer is cool but the limitation of the “hardware” quantization of drum machines is sometimes too limiting (at least for me) so having both options on board (like maschine does) is very nice feature.
Another big plus of maschine compared to an MPC is the sample library manageability.
Copying samples to and off CF cards…bleah, dealing with RAM limitation of MPCs.. also bleah exp. when preparing livesets.
SO I’d say go for maschine!

True dat! the limitations of the MPC in terms of RAM is a pain in the ass and I haven't used Maschine so I can't compare them but I haven't found a way to sequence beats that is as pleasant and intuitive as the MPC. I also love the fact that I can get away from the computer and crash on the couch or at the kitchen table. I have a laptop so I could (in theory) do that with my laptop but in reality the laptop doesn't feel very nice on my lap or at the kitchen table. And to bang out beats I'd need to take it and the midi controller. Basically, the MPC just feels more mobile (I have the 1k) and I like to get away from the computer screen for a while so I still love it as a way to play. I would be tempted by Octatrack or MachineDrum but they look like I'll need to take a couple of weeks off work to figure them out so I'm holding fire on them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:45 pm 

I'm quite surprised to see no-one has mentioned Xfer Record's Nerve - it comes with a free iPad template surface (via Lemur or TouchOSC) that basically turns it into a hands on controller. The developer is still one of the best I know of for direct customer support and updates and the depth of control you get is unparalled - even with Geist. Give it a go!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:55 pm 

Does anyone want to weigh in on what Geist can do that I can't already with Maschine, Live, Kontakt, etc?

Thanks!