I feel like Lexicon cheated on me!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: I feel like Lexicon cheated on me!

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Although I'm 100% in agreement with you guys on this, I would love it if companies that dropped prices drastically threw a bone at existing customers who paid the big price. You know, a discount on a future item, a preset pack... something? Unrealistic I know, but although the initial price of software is relatively cheap compared to a hardware TC electronic or Lexicon, the price of maintenance and possible abandonment has to be added in.

Compare this to hardware, expensive to buy initially, but as long a you stay analog or boutique the value may actually go up. All three of my hardware synths are worth more than I paid for them.

I freaking love the sound and amazing amount of quality impulse responses for Altiverb, but I know the moment I get the courage/money up to spend the $550 on it, it will drop to $200 or a new version will be announced that costs $199 to upgrade to.....

Just saying, software be fickle unless you freeze your OS, computer and plug ins in time, and treat it like hardware.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Selling my vintage Logic 8 license for $1,000.

PM if interested.

:x

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:06 pm

I paid Apple $1000 for Logic Pro 7, now you can get Logic for $200 -_-

Live Suite used to be $900 for the download, now it's $700 (and $524 with current sale).

Cubase 7 dropped, and like 6 before it sells for $500. With a $200 upgrade from 6-7 I'd be lucky to sell my copy of 6 for $200.

Welcome to software.
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Ableton does the same shit! New buyers will get a free live 9 update older users of live 8 get NOTHING! :evil:

I guess thats why people are using craked software even more!!!!
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:07 am

^ yeah that's the thing to do. i bought a stereo for 500 and a year later they were 350 so i stole the new model. i do that with cars too. the last car i bought was in 1992. that model keeps dropping in price so i steal a new one every 3 years. speaking of which, the shoes i'm wearing aren't even made any more. clearly it's time to try a brand new pair on... and out the door.

the world owes me. big time. 8)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:11 am

The car and shoe etc. analogy fails when confronted with "collectible" hardware.
Like I said, I paid $1200 for the Memorymoog 25 years ago. It's worth roughly $9,000.

The Xpander I bought for $2,100, it's currently going for $2700-3500.

The Wretch Machine was a limited run to begin with, and I have #13 of 96. Bought for roughly $1,600, last one just sold for $3,000.

Hardware is expensive but if you only buy what's not very well replicated by software it's value actually goes up. This can't be said about software. Sad thing is that I satisfied my hardware itch and now just want software.
OK so all that seems really expensive maybe, but in the last 15 years of buying gear I'm more than certain I've spent more than the top end $15,500 it would take to replace those three in computers and software, and all the software and digital hardware I have now probably would only net me maybe 3 grand tops. I fucking love software, but it's a painful "investment" to make, IE it's not a good one, it's more of a matter of love or if you're lucky a business investment.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:58 am

:lol: Some of you guys crack me up.

The nature of software is just fine. It moves and evolves much faster then hardware, and it has a shorter life span. Love it or hate it, but it is its nature. Personally, I love it like it is. If companies wants or needs more customers, its always a good start to carefully adjust the price tag to the marked. Lexicon software was unrealisticly overpriced, and I guess they felt the impact of that, and had to adjust it. They are now priced at reasonable levels with other top of the line brands, like Audio Ease Altiverb etc.

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:35 am

I try to only buy stuff when it is on sale.

That's how I got my NI stuff, just wait for their Christmas sales then bought one item at a time.

I do it for clothes too, happy times are coming soon. :D

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:26 am

I bought a TC electronic Triple C when it came out, dor around €800as a cheaper way to get hold of Finaliser technology. And they dropped the price to €220 a year or two later. I felt like firing off an angry email too.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:44 am

littlepig wrote:I try to only buy stuff when it is on sale.
Yeah me too, and I buy used software if the seller is legit.

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:04 am

Lexicon sounds pretty reasonable to me. Prices go down from time to time and you bought the plug ins 2 years ago. Its not like you bought it last week and then the price went down by 50%.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:51 am

question is why its gone down by so much. is it just a standard price drop as its been out a while now (though i think a 50% drop in this case is more than necessary) or do they know its destined to be a dead product now without Michael (the creator of their recent algorithms) on board. and considering his new reverbs are going to be cheaper than lexicons new dropped price. and of course Valhalla vintage seems to cater for those classic verbs and is lets face it under priced! there is also just out a (in their words) "sample accurate" software modeled lexicon 480 but at a bigger price. there's movement in reverb world at the moment and maybe lexicon are just trying to stay in the game but its food for thought all the same...
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:04 pm

1200 for a plug is crazy money, but 99$ for the mxp mean i finally found my xmas gift.
it happen with things, maybe they just figured out they where selling not enough.... and took the right decision

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:05 pm

H20nly wrote:^ yeah that's the thing to do. i bought a stereo for 500 and a year later they were 350 so i stole the new model. i do that with cars too. the last car i bought was in 1992. that model keeps dropping in price so i steal a new one every 3 years. speaking of which, the shoes i'm wearing aren't even made any more. clearly it's time to try a brand new pair on... and out the door.

the world owes me. big time. 8)
Post of the week.