I feel like Lexicon cheated on me!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TenSquare

I feel like Lexicon cheated on me!

Post by TenSquare » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:25 pm

Hello World!
I bought Lexicon PCM Native Reverb Plug-in Bundle in february 2010, I paid 1199 € for it.
I was very surprised by what I read on their website a few days ago since they decided to dramatically decrease the price of their products. See by yourself: http://lexiconpro.com/en-US
Is it a joke? If it is, it doesn't make me laugh at all!
I sent a email to Lexicon's support yesterday in order to express my discontent, here is a copy of it:

Hello,
I am a Lexicon Pro customer, I bought your very good software "PCM Native Reverb Plug-in Bundle" in february 2010 and I am happy with it (please see a copy of my invoice from the french shop Music Audio Shop.fr).
I've seen this morning on your website lexiconpro.com that the prices of your plugins have dramatically decrease! PCM Native Reverb is now sold at the price of 524€ at Thomann.de and it was 1222 € before!
I must say that I am very surprised and very frustrated since I have the impression I have been stollen when I bought my Lexicon at that price! :-(
Today, if I want to resell it, it won't be a good deal for me because it will be a lot cheaper to buy it on the webmarket.
That is the reason why I would like you to offer me your complementary product "PCM Native Effect Plug-in Bundle", in order to compensate my investment.
All the best.
Guillaume DUPONT

And here is their answer...

Guillaume,
We appreciate your support of Lexicon Pro products!
The nature of hardware and software products, both, are that they are subject to change.
Sometimes the specifications are changed, features added or removed.
This happens from time to time.
Prices change as well. Sometimes they are increased and sometimes they are lowered.
Recently, Lexicon made the decision to lower the prices of their software reverb plug-ins.
This decision reflects a current marketplace that demands to have software priced at a more competitive level and to reflect the current pricing structure of the market.
Several plug-in manufacturers have recently done the same.
Price protection for customers and dealers has been limited to a maximum of 90 days before the price change.
This is a standard return/exchange type time frame.
Unfortunately, for this reason, we are not able to provide you with compensation.
We do, however, sincerely thank you for your patronage and hope you enjoy your Lexicon PCM Native Reverbs.
In my personal opinion, they are well worth the investment that you have made.
Regards,
Trevor Andersen
Lexicon Support

Please let me know your personal opinion about this new trade policy.
All the best from France.
Guillaume

UltimateOutsider

Re: I feel like Lexicon cheated on me!

Post by UltimateOutsider » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 pm

A 90 day price protection policy is perfectly reasonable.

They lowered their prices because they were losing (or afraid of losing) business in the increasingly competitive market. If they're worried about losing money, they're not going to go around handing free money out to all their previous customers.

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:58 pm

if you were happy with what you paid at the time of the purchase, then why stress? think of it like this- you paid what people are paying now, plus some extra to have used it for the past two years.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:14 pm

yeah i hate it when i buy something and then later it's cheaper. i'm thinking of writing a stern email to both Apple and Nissan about this.

teknobryan

Post by teknobryan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Lexicon probably lowered it because of the new Valhalla reverb modeled on the lexicon.
http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallavintageverb

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:39 am

Or maybe it because the main man behind the lexicon algorithms (michael carnes) left lexicon (leaving them with no reverb talent) to start up his own company (exponential audio) who has his first 2 plugins out in jan 2013. Meaning the man who wrote the lexicon PCM is no longer there to update for lexicon meaning support over time may fizzle out?
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

loydb

Post by loydb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:21 am

The first thing I thought was "Valhalla" as well.
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:35 am

You threw your cash 1200 Euro on reverb plugin and regarded it as fair price. You used it for 2 years. What's the problem? If poele think the price isn't worth it and don't buy it its price will be decreased. It's quite natural. They have to get money to run their business.

I don't think listener can recognize the difference of the sound between €1200 reverb and €100 reverb though...

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:44 am

That's life and companies have to protect themselves from going bust by altering their prices. It's also Christmas and many audio software companies are selling plugs cheaper right now.

You should be happy for the people who can now afford it.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:11 am

In two months you've owned your plug-in bundle for 3 years and you complain about the price drop.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:34 am

sometimes you eat the bar... and some times the bar eats you

imo.. spending 1200eu on a software reverb is quite silly.
I wasn't really sure why lexicon reverb vst cost x4 times the other ones...
(cuz it sounds x4 times better ?!)
so in my eyes... you got ripped off from the get go
so don't feel so bad about it...
as long as the reverb is good... and it's what you wanted...
and only when they lowered the price you remembered the price is too high...
then I say keep using that reverb... you already paid for it.
don't count on software keeping it's re-sell value in the future..
lesson learned.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:46 am

teknobryan wrote:Lexicon probably lowered it because of the new Valhalla reverb modeled on the lexicon.
http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallavintageverb
Out of curiosity, how does it hold up against the Lexicons? I love the sound of the Lexicons but they are still above my kind of budgets.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:47 pm

3dot... wrote:and only when they lowered the price you remembered the price is too high...
ummm....
3dot... wrote:and only when they lowered the price, nearly 3 years later, you remembered the price is too high...
fixed for accuracy.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:54 pm

H20nly wrote:
3dot... wrote:and only when they lowered the price you remembered the price is too high...
ummm....
3dot... wrote:and only when they lowered the price, nearly 3 years later, you remembered the price is too high...
fixed for accuracy.
always the pedant.. eh? :lol:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:49 pm

no sense churching it up :wink:

people act like they've never been to a store and seen something like this.

dear company,

i am so displeased that your price changed on an item you have carried for years. i am very sorry that competition has driven the price of said item down, but i want you to know that how this affects me is much more important. i would appreciate a refund check for the difference as soon as possible. alternatively, you can send me another of your products free and take a 100% loss to compensate me for my need to be a part of unmoving markets.

Sincerely,

Uncle Scrooge
Last edited by H20nly on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.