iPad - Which one to go?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
monoaural

iPad - Which one to go?

Post by monoaural » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:53 am

Hi there,
i´m using an iPad1 with these apps right now:

- Samplr
- Lemur
- TouchAble
- Orphion
- Beatmaker 2.0
- Reactable
- Chippad
- loopy HD

I was pretty happy with my iPad1 until i discovered one app which changed completely my point if view: AUDIOBUS! http://audiob.us/

Until then i saw my iPad just as an nice controller for Ableton. But now i see what potential the iPads have. So i would like to upgrade to an newer iPad, preferable a second hand one. It should be said that i own a macbook pro i7 which i´m happy with. So my aim is not to make entire albums on the iPad, but would like to have to needed power to run let´s say audiobus with three apps in the same time smoothly. As far as i can see it, the newest iPad is more made for gaming and graphic apps in general, which i don´t really need. I won´t play any game on it. Robustness is one imortant criteria.
I´m very tempted to a second hand iPad2. But i heard the Display will crack pretty easily, and iPad3 has some heat issue.
Which one would you say is the iPad to go 2,3 or 4?

Thanks.

Gab

Re: iPad - Which one to go?

Post by Gab » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:34 am

It seems that the iPad 4 benefits from better processing power overall, not just regarding graphic performance : http://www.anandtech.com/show/6472/ipad ... 2-review/3

Maybe it is overkill, and maybe the iPad 2 would be just fine for your use, though. Have you tried Audiobus on your first gen iPad already ?
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:31 pm

I wouldn't get an iPad 2. They are currently on the 4th version and I predict in a years time there will be apps that won't run on the 2. Get the current version and you should be solid for the next 3 years+.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Samplr is a very...very cool instrument...
own an iPad3 and love it.

monoaural

Post by monoaural » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:36 pm

Gab wrote:It seems that the iPad 4 benefits from better processing power overall, not just regarding graphic performance : http://www.anandtech.com/show/6472/ipad ... 2-review/3

Maybe it is overkill, and maybe the iPad 2 would be just fine for your use, though. Have you tried Audiobus on your first gen iPad already ?
thats exactly my thought. do i really need the power of an ipad4 right now? or will an iPad2 be allright for the next 2+ years. who knows how many iPads will be released and how many new connections with them in the next 2 years? It will take some time, until the third parties react on the new connections in terms of audiointerfaces, docks, midi stuff etc.

I tried autobus on my iPad1 and it the app itself runs. i did some test with orphion and loopy HD. I was able to play and sample on loopy hd but my iPad kept on freezing. Being said, that the audiobus dev team suggest iPad2+ !.

But its good to know that the iPad4 has overall benefit for musicians aswell..

monoaural

Post by monoaural » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:38 pm

3dot... wrote:Samplr is a very...very cool instrument...
own an iPad3 and love it.
love it aswell!

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:08 pm

I'm wondering about this too but no one mentions the ipad mini - is that because it's s**t?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:29 pm

jimmynitcher wrote:I'm wondering about this too but no one mentions the ipad mini - is that because it's s**t?

It's great. Same specs as the iPad 2, but for music people probably want more screen real estate.

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:57 pm

Oh right so all these apps will work on it then?

I am attracted to it as it's so light!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:57 pm

My vote would be to get the newest iPad you can, you'll get the most life out of it and the least headaches. You already know you like working with one from your first gen, might as well go all in and not have to worry about if your new toy will run the latest apps in a couple years.

Just my $.02

I place a lot of value in not having to mess with things, so often I'd rather pay a bit more up front and save some headache down the road.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:19 pm

jimmynitcher wrote:Oh right so all these apps will work on it then?

I am attracted to it as it's so light!
Yes, anything that will run on an iPad 2, and I'm not aware of any current app that won't run on an iPad 2, maybe some high resource game I'm not aware of.

The 4th gen iPod Touch seems to suck balls on just about every app.

monoaural

Post by monoaural » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:20 pm

@beatsme
totally agree with you. using the iPad for music stuff, every inch comes handy.

@tarekith
mhhh.... in a way i agree with you, but in the last ten years as an apple user i made the experience, that going with one generation before the latest hardware AND software, causes for me the least headaches.. the software is stable and the third parties developer had time to develope a release and some nice stuff for it.

monoaural

Post by monoaural » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:23 pm

can anybody report his/her iPad3 experience using it just for music stuff and the often heard "heat issue"? Going for a second hand iPad i actually discarded the consideration of an iPad3 because i have the feeling, it was kind of an apples´ misstep.
Last edited by monoaural on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:36 pm

all computers heat up...
the faster the cpu/graphics the hotter it gets.

as far as the ipad3 vs. any other ipad.
the experience is almost the same

the only real differences are the slimness of the device..
a (slightly) faster cpu
and the retina screen
all these differences are irrelevant in a music production situation.

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:40 pm

..actually I've just realized I've got a mate coming over from the States - $499 is £308 for a 16gb retina - nearly £200 off! Can that be right?

Might bite the bullet - he comes back christmas eve!