launchpad question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
timstevenson

launchpad question

Post by timstevenson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:53 am

hey guys, sorry im new to the forum so if you have any responses to my question in another topic, i don't mind if you link it too me :)
i recently got a novation launchpad, and after experimenting with it for a few hours, i think i have everything worked out, except ONE thing.
say i want to apply a high/low pass filter to one of my channels by using a send so i can directly control it with my launchpad, how can i link the filter frequency to the send "a" knob on one of the audio tracks?

ive searched high and low but cant seem to find out how it works

LeifonMars

Re: launchpad question

Post by LeifonMars » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:13 am

Not directly answering your question, but do yourself a favor and check http://www.nativekontrol.com/LPC-Live.html this out. Little money well invested, will blow your LP into another universe of possibilities.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:51 am

Instead of putting the filter on a send, I would just put it directly on the track(s). Then it's as simple as mapping a row of buttons on user1 or user 2 (Enter MIDI map mode, click the filter freq, hit a pad and hold it, then hit another to map the range).

You can map this row of buttons to as many filters... or whatever other parameters you want.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:52 am

Oh yeah and LPC won't really help with this, but I still recommend you get it ;)

timstevenson

Post by timstevenson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:33 am

infernal.machine wrote:Instead of putting the filter on a send, I would just put it directly on the track(s). Then it's as simple as mapping a row of buttons on user1 or user 2 (Enter MIDI map mode, click the filter freq, hit a pad and hold it, then hit another to map the range).

You can map this row of buttons to as many filters... or whatever other parameters you want.
thanks, but i seem to be having trouble mapping the launchpad in both user options. are you sure that you can map the filter cutoff with the launchpad directly?

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:39 am

Yeah, I'll give a more detailed description. If you do the following steps in order, it should work for you:

Enter User 2 mode. (note that you CANNOT change modes while in MIDI map mode)
Enter MIDI Map Mode.
Click on the Filter Frequency.
Press and hold the top-left most pad.
Press and release the top-right most pad. (this will map the top horizontal row to the knob)
Release the top-left most pad.
Exit MIDI map mode.

If you're still having trouble, make sure your prefs are set up correctly. Track and Remote should be ON for both the launchpad's input and output.

timstevenson

Post by timstevenson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:04 pm

infernal.machine wrote:Yeah, I'll give a more detailed description. If you do the following steps in order, it should work for you:

Enter User 2 mode. (note that you CANNOT change modes while in MIDI map mode)
Enter MIDI Map Mode.
Click on the Filter Frequency.
Press and hold the top-left most pad.
Press and release the top-right most pad. (this will map the top horizontal row to the knob)
Release the top-left most pad.
Exit MIDI map mode.

If you're still having trouble, make sure your prefs are set up correctly. Track and Remote should be ON for both the launchpad's input and output.
thanks so much, i didn't have remote activated in preferences, haha ive only been using ableton for a month after using fl for 3 years :)

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Glad I could help!