Live 9 Convert To Midi From Audio Is Hopelessly Inaccurate?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
agent314

Re: Live 9 Convert To Midi From Audio Is Hopelessly Inaccurate?

Post by agent314 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:21 am

So what?

What's the problem with that? Are the lazy whiners upset that it won't magically transform an entire orchestra for them?

It's an impressive goddamn feat of engineering

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:33 am

agent314 wrote:So what?

What's the problem with that?
Nothing.
Are the lazy whiners upset that it won't magically transform an entire orchestra for them?
There is no problem so no whinning here. But there is a reality in this thread. Get a life noob.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:36 am

pencilrocket wrote: That's probably because piano sonata only contains the timbre of the piano. But most music is contructed with various timbre... so..
Thank you for stating one of the more obvious things I've read in a while. You really added to the conversation, bro.

I'm assuming you've never used Logic's or Melodyne's Audio to MIDI programs, or a similar one? If you had, you'd realize that it's still a technology in the growing stages. Unfortunately, no one in the world can plug in a rock song into a program and have it convert to MIDI.

And I guess if it's worthy of nearly complete dismissal that you can convert a piano sonata to a MIDI file nearly perfectly, and quickly, then you're probably building this function up to be something that is not humanly possible right now. Sorry.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:57 am

But there is a reality in this thread
That people's expectations are not in touch with reality and that they would rather blame their tools than try to improve their skills?

Agreed 100%

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:21 pm

xzusa8ky wrote: typically german attitude! :evil:

...sorry could not, not notice ;-)

So basically what you are saying is: we Germans can't get anything done, unless we are led by an Austrian?! 8O :mrgreen:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:05 pm

pencilrocket wrote:
SpeedKing wrote:Now, I did a Mozart piano sonata with Live 9's Harmony to MIDI, and I was astonished at how accurately it converted it to MIDI. As in like, 99% perfect. Then I did a symphony, and it wasn't so great (same with Melodyne).
That's probably because piano sonata only contains the timbre of the piano. But most music is contructed with various timbre... so..
That is why we have spectral filters :D

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:04 pm

After hitting hard on Ableton all the time, I feel uncomfortable to say this...! :oops:

...but, I think that Ableton made this feature working well and real competition to Melodyne.

Kids who now expected to get a feature that makes them steal other peoples compositions
will not be happy, and that is good so !

Get educated and learn music theory ! :twisted:

Only then you feel proud of your music.
Otherwise you just know your fake... :idea:
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

Tweekhead

Post by Tweekhead » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:16 am

I'm checking back at least 3 to 5 times a day for an open spot in the Live 9 Beta with no success.
To view the beta forum do you have to be part of the beta team, or is there a link that can be shared?
I fear it's probably only for the beta testers...., but I'm super eager to upgrade!

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 pm

The beta is open right now, and yes you have to be in the beta to get to the forum

https://www.ableton.com/en/beta-signup/

Tweekhead

Post by Tweekhead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 am

Woot! I'm in! Thank you for the replies=D

My 2 cents on the audio to midi is that so far I sang into my laptop from a seated position and it worked like a charm!
I haven't tried a harmony or a beat, but I've always envisioned this as more of a sketching tool vs a permanent approach.
That being said, if something amazing was created I'd run with it!

Thanks again,

Tweekhead

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:41 am

I'm finding the most useful piece of this to be the drum-to-MIDI tool. Being able to take all timing from all the items in my loop library but slap new hits and sounds onto them is HUGE. Makes it so easy to get great sounding rhythms, which have always been the weakest element of my production.

This way I get all the rhythmic facility of using loops, but I don't feel like I'm cheating as much

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:08 am

agent314 wrote:I'm finding the most useful piece of this to be the drum-to-MIDI tool. Being able to take all timing from all the items in my loop library but slap new hits and sounds onto them is HUGE. Makes it so easy to get great sounding rhythms, which have always been the weakest element of my production.

This way I get all the rhythmic facility of using loops, but I don't feel like I'm cheating as much
you can do this with live8 already. it's called "extract groove".

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:09 pm

That's what I tried for a number of months before giving up in frustration because I wasn't getting the results I was looking for.

In theory it's the same, but it doesn't work nearly as well for me in practice. You have to have the hits entered closely enough for the groove to grab it, as well as tweaking the quantize/velocity/randomize amounts just right which isn't always an obvious task.

The drums-to-MIDI tool is exactly wanted but didn't think was a practical reality outside something like Melodyne. It gets me 95% of the way towards what I'm trying to do with drums in Live.

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:55 am

Ive had a lot of fun using the audio to midi function. It obviously works best when parts are isolated (bass solo, drums only, etc) but even with a fairly layered mix you can get some great results.

The drums conversion is by far the most accurate of the functions and you can end up with some really cool parts if Ableton makes an error and incorrectly identifies a drum part.

I've tried singing into a mic and converting and, overall, it provides an excellent starting point. I say singing but in my case its mostly incoherent mumbling so the fact that Live managed to pull anything out of the hat from that is impressive going.

Still to try the harmony function.

esp81

Post by esp81 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Every single clip I've tried it on so far has not worked properly. Anything with rich harmonics totally screws it up....a huge disappointment.