changing midi note outputs for each drum pad

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
worldboy

changing midi note outputs for each drum pad

Post by worldboy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:36 pm

i have a controller with 16 pads and i would like to easily assign which midi note they play so that i can choose which of the 128 samples in sampler they are assigned to.

for example, have the C1 play a A4 and the D2 play a E3 and so on. the pitch tool in the midi effects section can change the pitch of all the pads but i'm looking to change each pad individually to a specified pitch.

so far i've tried having one midi channel with the drum controller as an input and then another midi channel with the sampler that receives its midi from the drum controller channel. anyone know how to route this?

batman14

Re: changing midi note outputs for each drum pad

Post by batman14 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Instead of using Midi notes, you can try the sample selector.

Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TO3z8LtP5U

I hope it will help you.

worldboy

Post by worldboy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:51 pm

yes but that would require that i load an instance of sampler into each of the 16 pads every time i switch kits. that's why i think it's important to control the midi using a different channel and not through sampler, so the kit can be hotswapped without affecting the midi assigned notes.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks for this; it had never occurred to me to use sampler in this way....

That said, the OP might be able to use a drum rack and an "External Instrument" track to do what he wants. I'm not sure about this, but it did solve a problem in Geist (but usually a drum rack uses a single midi channel (1 in ableton) for all its samples. You would have to find a way to convert MIDI notes to MIDI channels (Maybe in Max for Live?)

batman14 wrote:Instead of using Midi notes, you can try the sample selector.

Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TO3z8LtP5U

I hope it will help you.

worldboy

Post by worldboy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:56 pm

i dunno why it's so easy to change the pitch of midi notes for an entire channel but somehow it's not possible to do them individually through chains? the i-o section of drum racks has a "midi out note" selector for every chain, but it only outputs the chosen midi note for whatever device is specifically in that chain so it doesn't actually change the midi out note value overall :?