All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:43 pm 

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm
Posts: 9959
hoffman2k wrote:
Arguing about ports in a Thunderbolt thread is a good one though. The whole discussion was about the various boxes that add more ports than small mobile devices can usually provide.
And you counter with an image that is the best argument for having all those ports in an external box.
Do I want one device with all possible connectivity sticking out at all ends, weighing the already heavier mass down. Or do I want a featherlight device with one wire and all the same connectivity...

where do you get this?
MBP isn't lighter weight comparing to other computers...
and why would I want to carry an extra breakout box for ? Or any extra adapters for LAN and FireWire?
(I mean.... aside from lugging my audio interface which is breakout)

I would be all for Apple if they would have been competitive.

sorry I got you sidetracked.. happy Apple consuming to yall.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:53 pm 

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 9638
Location: Seattle
3dot... wrote:
I would be all for Apple if they would have been competitive.

or if you could navigate a website! :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:54 pm 

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm
Posts: 9959
Machinesworking wrote:
I'm failing to see the lack of ethernet ports you're on about! :lol:


this is so silly.
yeah I looked at the retina mbp.
but afaik the retina model is the latest model.
and the one that comes with flash drives as default.

go buy a laptop for twice as much as a computer should cost.
then tell me I don't get it.

or that Apple makes products for "Creative people"
when virtually all artists I know are broke-ass dudes/gals.

the mbp is not lighter, nor is it faster,
it's a computer with an over-hyped OS.
from a company that could care less about what you need and how much you pay for what they think you need.
wake up.
I recognize Apple for what they are...do you?

the whole concept of 1 way or the highway is scary to me to say the least.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:01 pm 

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm
Posts: 9959
hoffman2k wrote:
The world needs more people like you 3dot!
As long as there are people, with no intent to buy Apple products,

I agree with your first statement.
Although I do own an iPad3 and iPod Classic 256Gb
and bought my dad a Mac Mini.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:06 am 

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 9638
Location: Seattle
3dot... wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
this is so silly.
yeah I looked at the retina mbp.
but afaik the retina model is the latest model.
and the one that comes with flash drives as default.

It's patently obvious you haven't done your research then.
It's to be expected I guess, you only have a passing interest in Apple products,
but you've made these leaps in judgment based on a cursory glance at a website.

There are 4 basic varieties of Apple laptops out right now:

Macbook Air
13" Macbook Pro
15" Macbook Pro retina
and 15" Macbook Pro non retina.

That's obvious if you look at the website.
The 15" non retina version came out the same day as the retina, so, the retina is not the "latest" model, at least not the only one.
The non retina version is faster, I suppose this would matter more to us audio types right?

All of them can upgrade to solid state drives, but if you're dead serious about audio and the laptop was to be your only computer, you would definitely want to get the non retina version. Why? not for reasons pencil has mentioned but because the Retina and Air models are all hardwired motherboard wise in RAM and the kind of solid state drive is a bit more expensive and rarer. Probably is a more solid fit, and is definitely thinner. You can third party add 16GB of RAM to the 15 and 13" non retina Macbook pros, and use any third party solid state drive. So they remain far more future proof than the retina AIr and pro line up.

Both the 15 and 13" non retina macbook pros that are the obvious choice for musicians who want power come standard with ETHERNET>

You're arguing not about the Apple line up, but a small section of it geared towards THIN....
That, is why I'm kinda sorta maybe laughing at ya a bit. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:55 am 

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm
Posts: 9959
:lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:40 pm 

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 9638
Location: Seattle
selurovlov wrote:
"Dec 11, 2012 4:46 PM I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on an early 2012 Macbook Pro. When I plug in my new LaCie Rugged 1TB external drive to the thunderbolt port, my wifi is disabled.

The drive shows up and works correctly, but no wifi. If I reboot in Mac OS, the wifi is works fine. I only use Windows however and this drive is for Lightroom storage, and I need wifi. I have seen many posts where users have found an external display connected to the thunderbolt port (using Mac OS) disables wifi and the solution was to change the wireless channel in the wifi utility. I have tried every channel on my Airport Extreme with no success. Very strange that I can get wifi with external drive connected using Mac OS but not in Boot Camp. I need this drive connected to the thunderbolt port to free up the USB ports for my card readers and other drives. The wifi is fine as long as I don't use the thunderbolt port, so this issue is isolated to the thunderbolt port and Boot Camp. Any suggestions, please?
" -apple forum user

oh that darn bootcamp !

Thunderbolt essentially just came out for Windows, I wouldn't blame bootcamp, this issue is probably due to Windows drivers etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:33 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Posts: 14473
Location: Belgium
3dot... wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
Arguing about ports in a Thunderbolt thread is a good one though. The whole discussion was about the various boxes that add more ports than small mobile devices can usually provide.
And you counter with an image that is the best argument for having all those ports in an external box.
Do I want one device with all possible connectivity sticking out at all ends, weighing the already heavier mass down. Or do I want a featherlight device with one wire and all the same connectivity...

where do you get this?
MBP isn't lighter weight comparing to other computers...
and why would I want to carry an extra breakout box for ? Or any extra adapters for LAN and FireWire?
(I mean.... aside from lugging my audio interface which is breakout)

I would be all for Apple if they would have been competitive.

sorry I got you sidetracked.. happy Apple consuming to yall.


Meh, I easily get sidetracked. Don't beat yourself up about it.
You see having all ports available on the device as handy. I'm still waiting for a box to become available at a nice price, that offers the same thing externally.
In a situation where we both need all available ports, I'll have one wire sticking out and you'll have 8. Not counting power.
And we obviously have different user requirements. I haven't needed ethernet on the MBP in many years.
My ethernet port is like my belly-button. For some reason it collects lint...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:25 pm 

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm
Posts: 9959
hoffman2k wrote:
3dot... wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
Arguing about ports in a Thunderbolt thread is a good one though. The whole discussion was about the various boxes that add more ports than small mobile devices can usually provide.
And you counter with an image that is the best argument for having all those ports in an external box.
Do I want one device with all possible connectivity sticking out at all ends, weighing the already heavier mass down. Or do I want a featherlight device with one wire and all the same connectivity...

where do you get this?
MBP isn't lighter weight comparing to other computers...
and why would I want to carry an extra breakout box for ? Or any extra adapters for LAN and FireWire?
(I mean.... aside from lugging my audio interface which is breakout)

I would be all for Apple if they would have been competitive.

sorry I got you sidetracked.. happy Apple consuming to yall.


Meh, I easily get sidetracked. Don't beat yourself up about it.
You see having all ports available on the device as handy. I'm still waiting for a box to become available at a nice price, that offers the same thing externally.
In a situation where we both need all available ports, I'll have one wire sticking out and you'll have 8. Not counting power.
And we obviously have different user requirements. I haven't needed ethernet on the MBP in many years.
My ethernet port is like my belly-button. For some reason it collects lint...

sure thing .. if usability is your thing...
and if you find the need for a 10MB/s for your peripherals.. by all means
I'll just connect a USB hub (which I can probably purchase on the cheap) and be done with it.
2-3 USB3 (5Mb/s) ports should do it for my needs

When touchscreens galore come to town..
we'll talk 10MB/s connections.. .but until then...
your LAN port comment reminded me of this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwCVBfk9fC8
from this episode
http://fliiby.com/file/50795/p9652n07cv.html

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:46 pm 

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm
Posts: 9959
and if we're back on the LAN thing..
there are several up and coming a/v protocols that make having a LAN port very attractive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Bridging
may I remind you that lan offer 1000Mb/s and can be networked and chained
the IPv6 protocol makes it possible to keep timing is tight...

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/products/ ... tid=MWAVES
http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/ ... ingOptions
http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/ ... ingOptions
etc

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:41 am 

Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 6:38 am
Posts: 1267
Location: France
selurovlov wrote:
I want to buy this for my photos,mpeg-4 videos,music files for storage. 240GB is more than enough for now.
Is this a good deal? Reviews seem pretty good as far as speed.


Elgato Thunderbolt 240 GB Solid State Drive
$473.99

plus

Elgato 1.6-Feet Thunderbolt Cable to Mac/Windows PC
$54.95
( !!!! 54 bucks for the cable !!!!)


Take out the pencil first before plugging your new HD.

_________________
Aboard from V. 1
MBP 2,3 ghz I7 4Go RAM OS 10.8.5 X-station/iPad2+Mira+Lemur/PadKontrol/BCR+BCF2000/ Livid Code
RME FF UC Live 9.0.6 / 9.1.1 + MFL + Max 6.16 Yeepee !
Madlab sound unit :/: sounds FX, objects, guitar and electronics :/: end_of_transmission


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:26 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Posts: 14473
Location: Belgium
CES 2013: Belkin Drops eSATA Support for Upcoming Thunderbolt Express Dock, Cuts Price Back to $299

- Instant access to up to 8 desktop devices with one cable
- Cable-clutter-free design for a cleaner workstation
- 3 USB 3.0 ports
- 1 FireWire 800 port
- 1 Gigabit Ethernet port
- 1 3.5mm-out port
- 1 3.5mm-in port
- 2 Thunderbolt ports (1 upstream, 1 downstream for daisy-chaining up to 5 additional Thunderbolt devices)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group