Thunderbolt stuff

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fishmonkey

Re: Thunderbolt stuff

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:24 am

pencilrocket wrote:
3dot... wrote:don't forget you thunderbolt->LAN...
Then we have only one port left. Which device should we prioritize? Display? Audio i/f? HD? :?
stupid comment. at least do some basic research before you dribble off at the mouth.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:21 pm

I don't think I'm biased.. just have an opinion.
I work with Macs on a daily basis.. so the system is not strange to me...
I like using Mac OS ..it's simple and non-distracting.

I didn't say Apple were Evil.. I just don't "get it" as why one would pay double to not use windows..

now how would you explain these..
except a bold commercial move to keep Mac upgrades/updates/fixing in Apples hands...
(I know Mac users who don't install any software or update their DAW until they talk to AppleCare...)

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... ays_iFixit

http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/?newsid=3414272

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:23 pm

3dot... wrote: (I know Mac users who don't install any software or update their DAW until they talk to AppleCare...)
:lol: No, you're not trolling at all dot dot dot

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:34 pm

what are you on about? you have something to say about Apple thunderbolt?
or just popped in to say hello?
:mrgreen:
dot dot..

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:11 pm

let me just rephrase that...
I do see a big advantage in thunderbolt... it's really a novel technology.. don't get me wrong.
alongside USB 3.0
both different speeds for different tasks..

but.. I don't like the way apple drops ports from their computers.. you're right MW..
making their users readjust all the time..this goes for OS upgrades as well
the thunderbolt imo should have been additional if only for the fact that people still use Ethernet cables a lot...I know I do.
thunderbolt should have been complimentary.

I don't really care that much btw...
I've contemplated getting a Mac... but it's really not that big of a deal to me...can't justify

@MW Israel is really expensive.. for instance... top of the line MBP (2700$) will cost you 3500$...taxation is high
most of the people don't make much $.
for instance Minimum wage (~50% of the work force) is the equivalent of 5$US while average salary per month is around 1850$

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:10 am

3dot... wrote: @MW Israel is really expensive.. for instance... top of the line MBP (2700$) will cost you 3500$...taxation is high
most of the people don't make much $.
for instance Minimum wage (~50% of the work force) is the equivalent of 5$US while average salary per month is around 1850$
Yeah I could see that. Apple tend to not compromise price wise to corner a market. Dell would probably shave profits to make sure Dell was sold in Israel. Plus a local company could import parts and make whole computers to compete. Apple IMO do themselves a disservice by not competing... but that would go against the "boutique" branding they've been so successful using...
Most people I know make around 2 grand a month, except the occasional successful tech guy or hot stripper... :lol:

Also, WTF mate? The 13" and 15" Macbook Pros both have ethernet ports and Thunderbolt!

The super thin Macbook Air and Retina models don't have optical drives, firewire, or ethernet..... they be too thin for that.

So, I'm not sure what exactly we're discussing anymore? :lol:

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 am

fishmonkey wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:
3dot... wrote:don't forget you thunderbolt->LAN...
Then we have only one port left. Which device should we prioritize? Display? Audio i/f? HD? :?
stupid comment. at least do some basic research before you dribble off at the mouth.
There is 2 TB port. One used for Lan. How much port left? If I were stupid then you'd be re*arded. Thanks for calling me stupid, re*arded fanboy.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:52 am

pencilrocket wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:
There is 2 TB port. One used for Lan. How much port left? If I were stupid then you'd be re*arded. Thanks for calling me stupid, re*arded fanboy.
if your comprehension was a little better you might have noticed that i didn't call you stupid. i described your comment as stupid, which it is. i don't think you are stupid at all. i just don't think you are anywhere near as wonderfully intelligent and witty as you would like to think you are.

back on topic, the MBP Retina models have the following ports:

Two Thunderbolt ports (up to 10 Gbps)
Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
HDMI port
Headphone port
SDXC card slot

and various Thunderbolt devices have two Thunderbolt ports, to allow for daisy chaining.

besides which, Apple are still selling the non-Retina models which have Firewire 800 and Gigabit Ethernet ports (however no HDMI and only a single TB port).

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:41 pm

We are taling about brilliantly fast connectivity called thunderbolt and the usabilty for it. There is no genuine hub too. I don't get why you tried to mix all ports in this topic. Fine we would say to all the argument as follows.
Connect your all devices to USB3.0. Because Thunderbold ports are used by LAN and HD. End of story.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:55 pm

thunderbolt can be daisy chained.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:11 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Also, WTF mate? The 13" and 15" Macbook Pros both have ethernet ports and Thunderbolt!

not any more they don't
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/
I'm in the market for a laptop... so I've been eyeing the market a lot lately
the Lenovo laptop I use is more 8 year old core2duo.. still running strong

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:44 pm

top of the line MBP (no retina) 15" for 2200$
top of the line and better specd Sony Vaio...Asus...HP is 1500
(no thunderbolt though...which is ok as I don't need one)

I'm thinking of the Sony Viao SVS15 = 1400$
3rd gen Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM quad-core processor (2.20GHz / 3.20GHz with Turbo Boost)
Windows 8 64-bit
15.5" LED backlit Full HD IPS display (1920 x 1080)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB) hybrid graphics with Intel® Wireless Display technology
256GB (128GB x2) solid state drive with RAID 0
12GB (4GB fixed onboard + 8GB removable) DDR3-1333MHz
CD/DVD player / burner
Internal lithium polymer battery (4400mAh)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:04 pm

The world needs more people like you 3dot!
As long as there are people, with no intent to buy Apple products, so heavily active slagging the products off... I'll always have a smooth computing experience.
For example: Trojan/Virus gets discovered for Mac. Within hours all the forums are ablaze. Followed by articles in local and world news. By the time I get home from work, Apple already posted an acknowledgement and its fixed in the next patch.

Arguing about ports in a Thunderbolt thread is a good one though. The whole discussion was about the various boxes that add more ports than small mobile devices can usually provide.
And you counter with an image that is the best argument for having all those ports in an external box.
Do I want one device with all possible connectivity sticking out at all ends, weighing the already heavier mass down. Or do I want a featherlight device with one wire and all the same connectivity...

Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:11 pm

hoffman2k wrote:The world needs more people like you 3dot!
As long as there are people, with no intent to buy Apple products, so heavily active slagging the products off... I'll always have a smooth computing experience.
For example: Trojan/Virus gets discovered for Mac. Within hours all the forums are ablaze. Followed by articles in local and world news. By the time I get home from work, Apple already posted an acknowledgement and its fixed in the next patch.

Arguing about ports in a Thunderbolt thread is a good one though. The whole discussion was about the various boxes that add more ports than small mobile devices can usually provide.
And you counter with an image that is the best argument for having all those ports in an external box.
Do I want one device with all possible connectivity sticking out at all ends, weighing the already heavier mass down. Or do I want a featherlight device with one wire and all the same connectivity...
Thanks for getting us back on topic. As time goes on my live setup gets simpler and quicker to setup but with more physical controllability. This is a huge benefit to me, the artist. I think Apple recognizes this reality for all types of creative users. I want a tool that keeps me online and on-task with as little setup and downtime as possible.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:09 pm

3dot... wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

not any more they don't
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/
I'm in the market for a laptop... so I've been eyeing the market a lot lately
the Lenovo laptop I use is more 8 year old core2duo.. still running strong
Christ doood!
THE SUPER THIN RETINA IS WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING AT! :lol: :lol:

Here is the fastest laptop Apple make, the regular 15"

Here is the 13", the one most Ableton users like. :)

I'm failing to see the lack of ethernet ports you're on about! :lol: