All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:24 am 

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am
Posts: 2221
pencilrocket wrote:
3dot... wrote:
don't forget you thunderbolt->LAN...

Then we have only one port left. Which device should we prioritize? Display? Audio i/f? HD? :?


stupid comment. at least do some basic research before you dribble off at the mouth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:21 pm 

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm
Posts: 9948
I don't think I'm biased.. just have an opinion.
I work with Macs on a daily basis.. so the system is not strange to me...
I like using Mac OS ..it's simple and non-distracting.

I didn't say Apple were Evil.. I just don't "get it" as why one would pay double to not use windows..

now how would you explain these..
except a bold commercial move to keep Mac upgrades/updates/fixing in Apples hands...
(I know Mac users who don't install any software or update their DAW until they talk to AppleCare...)

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... ays_iFixit

http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/?newsid=3414272

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:23 pm 

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:24 am
Posts: 1221
3dot... wrote:
(I know Mac users who don't install any software or update their DAW until they talk to AppleCare...)



:lol: No, you're not trolling at all dot dot dot

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/revdaxx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:34 pm 

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm
Posts: 9948
what are you on about? you have something to say about Apple thunderbolt?
or just popped in to say hello?
:mrgreen:
dot dot..

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:11 pm 

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm
Posts: 9948
let me just rephrase that...
I do see a big advantage in thunderbolt... it's really a novel technology.. don't get me wrong.
alongside USB 3.0
both different speeds for different tasks..

but.. I don't like the way apple drops ports from their computers.. you're right MW..
making their users readjust all the time..this goes for OS upgrades as well
the thunderbolt imo should have been additional if only for the fact that people still use Ethernet cables a lot...I know I do.
thunderbolt should have been complimentary.

I don't really care that much btw...
I've contemplated getting a Mac... but it's really not that big of a deal to me...can't justify

@MW Israel is really expensive.. for instance... top of the line MBP (2700$) will cost you 3500$...taxation is high
most of the people don't make much $.
for instance Minimum wage (~50% of the work force) is the equivalent of 5$US while average salary per month is around 1850$

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:10 am 

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 9620
Location: Seattle
3dot... wrote:
@MW Israel is really expensive.. for instance... top of the line MBP (2700$) will cost you 3500$...taxation is high
most of the people don't make much $.
for instance Minimum wage (~50% of the work force) is the equivalent of 5$US while average salary per month is around 1850$

Yeah I could see that. Apple tend to not compromise price wise to corner a market. Dell would probably shave profits to make sure Dell was sold in Israel. Plus a local company could import parts and make whole computers to compete. Apple IMO do themselves a disservice by not competing... but that would go against the "boutique" branding they've been so successful using...
Most people I know make around 2 grand a month, except the occasional successful tech guy or hot stripper... :lol:

Also, WTF mate? The 13" and 15" Macbook Pros both have ethernet ports and Thunderbolt!

The super thin Macbook Air and Retina models don't have optical drives, firewire, or ethernet..... they be too thin for that.

So, I'm not sure what exactly we're discussing anymore? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 am 

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am
Posts: 1420
fishmonkey wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:
3dot... wrote:
don't forget you thunderbolt->LAN...

Then we have only one port left. Which device should we prioritize? Display? Audio i/f? HD? :?


stupid comment. at least do some basic research before you dribble off at the mouth.

There is 2 TB port. One used for Lan. How much port left? If I were stupid then you'd be re*arded. Thanks for calling me stupid, re*arded fanboy.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:52 am 

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am
Posts: 2221
pencilrocket wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:

Then we have only one port left. Which device should we prioritize? Display? Audio i/f? HD? :?


stupid comment. at least do some basic research before you dribble off at the mouth.

There is 2 TB port. One used for Lan. How much port left? If I were stupid then you'd be re*arded. Thanks for calling me stupid, re*arded fanboy.


if your comprehension was a little better you might have noticed that i didn't call you stupid. i described your comment as stupid, which it is. i don't think you are stupid at all. i just don't think you are anywhere near as wonderfully intelligent and witty as you would like to think you are.

back on topic, the MBP Retina models have the following ports:

Two Thunderbolt ports (up to 10 Gbps)
Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
HDMI port
Headphone port
SDXC card slot

and various Thunderbolt devices have two Thunderbolt ports, to allow for daisy chaining.

besides which, Apple are still selling the non-Retina models which have Firewire 800 and Gigabit Ethernet ports (however no HDMI and only a single TB port).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:41 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am
Posts: 1420
We are taling about brilliantly fast connectivity called thunderbolt and the usabilty for it. There is no genuine hub too. I don't get why you tried to mix all ports in this topic. Fine we would say to all the argument as follows.
Connect your all devices to USB3.0. Because Thunderbold ports are used by LAN and HD. End of story.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:55 pm 

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm
Posts: 9948
thunderbolt can be daisy chained.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:11 pm 

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm
Posts: 9948
Machinesworking wrote:

Also, WTF mate? The 13" and 15" Macbook Pros both have ethernet ports and Thunderbolt!

So, I'm not sure what exactly we're discussing anymore? :lol:

Image

not any more they don't
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/
I'm in the market for a laptop... so I've been eyeing the market a lot lately
the Lenovo laptop I use is more 8 year old core2duo.. still running strong

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:44 pm 

Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm
Posts: 9948
top of the line MBP (no retina) 15" for 2200$
top of the line and better specd Sony Vaio...Asus...HP is 1500
(no thunderbolt though...which is ok as I don't need one)

I'm thinking of the Sony Viao SVS15 = 1400$
Quote:
3rd gen Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM quad-core processor (2.20GHz / 3.20GHz with Turbo Boost)
Windows 8 64-bit
15.5" LED backlit Full HD IPS display (1920 x 1080)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB) hybrid graphics with Intel® Wireless Display technology
256GB (128GB x2) solid state drive with RAID 0
12GB (4GB fixed onboard + 8GB removable) DDR3-1333MHz
CD/DVD player / burner
Internal lithium polymer battery (4400mAh)

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:04 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Posts: 14473
Location: Belgium
The world needs more people like you 3dot!
As long as there are people, with no intent to buy Apple products, so heavily active slagging the products off... I'll always have a smooth computing experience.
For example: Trojan/Virus gets discovered for Mac. Within hours all the forums are ablaze. Followed by articles in local and world news. By the time I get home from work, Apple already posted an acknowledgement and its fixed in the next patch.

Arguing about ports in a Thunderbolt thread is a good one though. The whole discussion was about the various boxes that add more ports than small mobile devices can usually provide.
And you counter with an image that is the best argument for having all those ports in an external box.
Do I want one device with all possible connectivity sticking out at all ends, weighing the already heavier mass down. Or do I want a featherlight device with one wire and all the same connectivity...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:11 pm 

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 94
hoffman2k wrote:
The world needs more people like you 3dot!
As long as there are people, with no intent to buy Apple products, so heavily active slagging the products off... I'll always have a smooth computing experience.
For example: Trojan/Virus gets discovered for Mac. Within hours all the forums are ablaze. Followed by articles in local and world news. By the time I get home from work, Apple already posted an acknowledgement and its fixed in the next patch.

Arguing about ports in a Thunderbolt thread is a good one though. The whole discussion was about the various boxes that add more ports than small mobile devices can usually provide.
And you counter with an image that is the best argument for having all those ports in an external box.
Do I want one device with all possible connectivity sticking out at all ends, weighing the already heavier mass down. Or do I want a featherlight device with one wire and all the same connectivity...

Thanks for getting us back on topic. As time goes on my live setup gets simpler and quicker to setup but with more physical controllability. This is a huge benefit to me, the artist. I think Apple recognizes this reality for all types of creative users. I want a tool that keeps me online and on-task with as little setup and downtime as possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thunderbolt stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:09 pm 

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Posts: 9620
Location: Seattle
3dot... wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

Also, WTF mate? The 13" and 15" Macbook Pros both have ethernet ports and Thunderbolt!

So, I'm not sure what exactly we're discussing anymore? :lol:

Image

not any more they don't
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/
I'm in the market for a laptop... so I've been eyeing the market a lot lately
the Lenovo laptop I use is more 8 year old core2duo.. still running strong


Christ doood!
THE SUPER THIN RETINA IS WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING AT! :lol: :lol:

Here is the fastest laptop Apple make, the regular 15"
Image

Here is the 13", the one most Ableton users like. :)
Image

I'm failing to see the lack of ethernet ports you're on about! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group