Mackie MR5MK2's or Yamaha HS80M's? (Studio monitor question)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
ProfoundTactics
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:24 am

Mackie MR5MK2's or Yamaha HS80M's? (Studio monitor question)

Post by ProfoundTactics » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Currently have the Mackie MR5MK2's, but looking to upgrade to the Yamaha HS80M's.

Image

Image

At louder volumes, I find the Mackies to be a little muddy and squashed sounding in the mid-upper ranges. Also, from what I've read, the Yamaha's provide a really nice flat response. I produce Electronic music (Who doesn't on here I guess?) so that's something I'm looking for. Will be set up in a small-ish room. Which is why I thought perhaps the Yamaha's would be slightly overkill..

I suppose it's unfair to compare the two, as one has a 5 inch cone, and one an 8 inch. Also one is twice the price. Despite that, do you think there would be a noticeable difference in the two monitors? Apologies for such a generalised question, but if anyone has any advice (or experience with the Yamaha's) it would be massively appreciated.

Just wanted to know if the extra £200 price jump is justified.

Thanks in advance. :)

Manik
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:26 am
Location: Haarlem / The Netherlands

Re: Mackie MR5MK2's or Yamaha HS80M's? (Studio monitor question)

Post by Manik » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:15 pm

I don't know the mackie's but i do know the hs80's for 4 years.
I have moved from room to room (big & small, treated/ untreated) and i absolutely love them in all rooms, sometimes the highs are a bit harsh (can be tuned on the back) but the fact that they go so low (wich is also nice for electronic music) is a big plus for me.

i think you will be able to control the low-end better compared to the mackie and they can go really loud.. but it's all personal taste you should go and listen somewhere and check if you like the sound.

ProfoundTactics
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:24 am

Re: Mackie MR5MK2's or Yamaha HS80M's? (Studio monitor question)

Post by ProfoundTactics » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:03 pm

Manik wrote:I don't know the mackie's but i do know the hs80's for 4 years.
I have moved from room to room (big & small, treated/ untreated) and i absolutely love them in all rooms, sometimes the highs are a bit harsh (can be tuned on the back) but the fact that they go so low (wich is also nice for electronic music) is a big plus for me.

i think you will be able to control the low-end better compared to the mackie and they can go really loud.. but it's all personal taste you should go and listen somewhere and check if you like the sound.
Thanks, nice to hear from someone that actually has the Yamahas! How do they translate? Do you find that the mixdown you get sounds similar on most commercial systems? That's what I'm really looking for. While it will never sound exactly the same, the flatter response I can get, the better

I'm just not sure the Mackies excel in this area...

Sage
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Mackie MR5MK2's or Yamaha HS80M's? (Studio monitor question)

Post by Sage » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Not much experience with the Yamahas, but wasn't impressed with the high end on them, seemed a touch lacking and seemed harsh in the upper mids I think. Had a bit of the spirit of the NS10s about them, but less monumentally shit and it would be possible to mix on the HS80M's.

ProfoundTactics
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:24 am

Re: Mackie MR5MK2's or Yamaha HS80M's? (Studio monitor question)

Post by ProfoundTactics » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:22 pm

Conflicting views.. Interesting.. well that's made this decision a whole lot more confusing! lol

Sage
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Mackie MR5MK2's or Yamaha HS80M's? (Studio monitor question)

Post by Sage » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:42 pm

ProfoundTactics wrote:Conflicting views.. Interesting.. well that's made this decision a whole lot more confusing! lol
Monitors are such a personal thing and people do & can create mixes that translate with those Yamahas, just for what I like from a speaker, they wouldn't be for me. What you need to identify is where your current monitors are lacking and what monitors can provide that.

ProfoundTactics
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:24 am

Re: Mackie MR5MK2's or Yamaha HS80M's? (Studio monitor question)

Post by ProfoundTactics » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:07 pm

Sage wrote:
ProfoundTactics wrote:Conflicting views.. Interesting.. well that's made this decision a whole lot more confusing! lol
Monitors are such a personal thing and people do & can create mixes that translate with those Yamahas, just for what I like from a speaker, they wouldn't be for me. What you need to identify is where your current monitors are lacking and what monitors can provide that.
Very true, believe me, if I could try them out I would. That's the trouble with living out in the sticks! Have to go by other people's reviews. Which is silly really when you think about, but that's the best I can do at the moment.

I'm just looking for monitors that are very, very flat. Don't colour the sound at all (or just marginally) and translate well. I just find a finished track on the Mackies, and it ends up sounding completely different on headphones/speakers/car stereo.

I'm probably asking a bit too much, given my budget!

hoffman2k
Posts: 14691
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Mackie MR5MK2's or Yamaha HS80M's? (Studio monitor question)

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:57 pm

HS80M has a nice sound and indeed a little sharp in the upper mid.
For a more true sound, I'd recommend Adam A5X. They sound quite unforgiving and scale nicely. For example, the A3X will sound nearly identical to an A5X at equal low volumes. As you scale up, they just go louder. The A8X and A77X are like having an added sub.
Avoid the Mackie MR's. Much better options in the slightly higher price range. The Mackie HR8's are awesome sounding beasts, but I have to spend more time with them. Just heard them briefly so far.
Haven't heard the Adam F series yet, but it seems redundant. The X series isn't priced that far from the budget range.

ProfoundTactics
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:24 am

Re: Mackie MR5MK2's or Yamaha HS80M's? (Studio monitor question)

Post by ProfoundTactics » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 pm

hoffman2k wrote:HS80M has a nice sound and indeed a little sharp in the upper mid.
For a more true sound, I'd recommend Adam A5X. They sound quite unforgiving and scale nicely. For example, the A3X will sound nearly identical to an A5X at equal low volumes. As you scale up, they just go louder. The A8X and A77X are like having an added sub.
Avoid the Mackie MR's. Much better options in the slightly higher price range. The Mackie HR8's are awesome sounding beasts, but I have to spend more time with them. Just heard them briefly so far.
Haven't heard the Adam F series yet, but it seems redundant. The X series isn't priced that far from the budget range.
After mixing with the Mackie for a little while, I've found that the bass is pretty coloured. Almost bloated. So in your opinion, the HS80M's would be a step up from the MR series?

While the A5X's sound pretty perfect, they're just a little bit out of my price range. I started off only wanting to spend around £200 haha, so £400 is my max I'm afraid :cry:

Any others worth checking out? (in that price range)

Manik
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:26 am
Location: Haarlem / The Netherlands

Re: Mackie MR5MK2's or Yamaha HS80M's? (Studio monitor question)

Post by Manik » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:50 pm

well sometimes coloured speakers can work in an advantage!
i worked with the adam a7 & HR 824 MK2 and although it is nice to mix on them (verry flat/natural) i don't like to work/create music on them. too flat, i miss the magic. i love to crank up the volume and my HS80 just suck me in the "zone" i love the crispy ness and the "big" sound of it, and after getting to know them i can also mix good on them and they translate well to other systems. i have a high-fi & headphone to A/B. it comes down to you're personal taste :) go and listen to the different models

hoffman2k
Posts: 14691
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Mackie MR5MK2's or Yamaha HS80M's? (Studio monitor question)

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:23 pm

ProfoundTactics wrote:After mixing with the Mackie for a little while, I've found that the bass is pretty coloured. Almost bloated. So in your opinion, the HS80M's would be a step up from the MR series?

While the A5X's sound pretty perfect, they're just a little bit out of my price range. I started off only wanting to spend around £200 haha, so £400 is my max I'm afraid :cry:

Any others worth checking out? (in that price range)
You can't really fairly compare a 5" against 8". But even the MR8 doesn't really cut it.
Its not the bass that is the problem in the MR's, its how it crosses over. You clearly get a mid boost, because the crossover isn't nicely divided. So if you make electronic music, you got mud in your most important frequencies.

The best thing you can ever say about Monitors under 300€ a piece, is that they're good enough.
But it is indeed a matter of personal taste. Some brief personal notes on monitors at their default settings:

250-300€ range

HS80M = Powerful bass, reasonably neutral with a tad of upper mid + high boost

KRK RP 8 = Stacks up well against the HS80M, reasonably neutral but with a discolored low + lower mid

When A/B'ing these 2 against high-end monitors, the HS80M will sound more true.

300-400€ range

Adam A5X = Its smaller then the previous mentioned models, but it has a way clearer sound. It just can't go as loud as the 8 inchers.

Event Bas 20/20 = Like getting punched in the face with sound. Extremely sensitive to "bad electricity". It has a colored sound but its weirdly balanced. I wouldn't get them as my main pair, but I definitely want to try out some mixes on them.

Focal CMS 40 = Small yet powerful in a full metal jacket. Ideal for acoustic work. Same deal as with the Adam X series. The bigger models sound the same but louder.

Post Reply