All times are UTC

Post subject: Instrument Rack routing in Live 9
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:55 pm 

In Live 8 you can send to the Return channels from within a drumrack, but not from within an instrument rack.

While you can embed the Instrument Rack in a Drum Rack, you can't route audio to Return channels from within the Instrument rack.

Example:
When using the Instrument Rack as an "Effects Rack" for parallel effects, there is no way to route audio from one of the chains to the Return channels.

Does Live 9 still have this limitation?

Post subject: Re: Instrument Rack routing in Live 9
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:12 pm 

You can't send individual chains to normal returns in Drum Racks either, they do have their on internal send/return channels though. I can't comment on Live 9 yet, it's still in beta, ie not finished.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:59 pm 

This is one of the things that makes Drum Racks really cool:
Hit the I/O button, then "R" to show the Returns. Right click in the Returns area to "create return chain." You can still create other Return chains that are parallel and internal to the Rack by dropping them in.

I was hoping someone with knowledge of the Live 9 feature set could answer. It's sad that you can't do the same thing in an "Instrument Rack."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:55 pm 

Bad news - still no changes (L9.b.058) in both: instrument and audio effect racks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:29 pm 

vitalispopoff wrote:
Bad news - still no changes (L9.b.058) in both: instrument and audio effect racks.

Thanks for the info. Maybe around Live 12... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:45 pm 

you can use the sidechain workaround if you want to.

the example in the thread is contained in a rack, but of course you can use it on returns too.

.lm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:46 pm 

leisuremuffin wrote:
you can use the sidechain workaround if you want to.

the example in the thread is contained in a rack, but of course you can use it on returns too.

.lm.

That's the opposite of what I'm looking for.

I'm talking about an effects rack inserted into a regular channel being able to route audio from within a chain to a return.

Using the trick in the other thread, it would be 'tapping' instruments with the compression sidechain *from* a rack *in* a return channel. That's different, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:16 pm 

you can still do it the way i described. the individual outs of every chain, in every rack, on every track are available to the sidechain input.

.lm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:29 pm 

here's a set to demonstrate:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbdomw24riauk1z/racksendsdemo.als

actually, i made a mistake there! the settings for the compressor should be more like this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pobflgferjjlkxv/racksendsdemobetter.als

reason being--> compressor should be set to 0ms lookahead or there will be uncompensated latency. Also it is best practice to pick the lowest CPU intensive setting for the compressor. The compressor isn't affecting the signal at all in this case, but i'm not sure that it doesn't still suck the CPU for being turned on.

.lm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:05 am 

leisuremuffin wrote:
here's a set to demonstrate:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbdomw24riauk1z/racksendsdemo.als

actually, i made a mistake there! the settings for the compressor should be more like this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pobflgferjjlkxv/racksendsdemobetter.als

reason being--> compressor should be set to 0ms lookahead or there will be uncompensated latency. Also it is best practice to pick the lowest CPU intensive setting for the compressor. The compressor isn't affecting the signal at all in this case, but i'm not sure that it doesn't still suck the CPU for being turned on.

.lm.

Thank you! It was helpful to see in a rack.

I set up an audio channel next to your instrument rack channel and resampled into it, set up a test effects rack with a few chains as inserts, and as expected, they show up in the sidechain in the return channel "send" rack which was populated with the compressors.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:53 am 

unix23 wrote:
Hit the I/O button, then "R" to show the Returns. Right click in the Returns area to "create return chain." You can still create other Return chains that are parallel and internal to the Rack by dropping them in.

I was hoping someone with knowledge of the Live 9 feature set could answer. It's sad that you can't do the same thing in an "Instrument Rack."

Is the Autofilter return in the drum rack the same as the Autofilter return? When I try to reproduce that it just produces a blank internal return track in the drum rack. Did you rename it and route it or what? I don't really use drum racks so I'm a bit hazy on how the returns work in them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:01 pm 

funken wrote:
unix23 wrote:

Is the Autofilter return in the drum rack the same as the Autofilter return? When I try to reproduce that it just produces a blank internal return track in the drum rack. Did you rename it and route it or what? I don't really use drum racks so I'm a bit hazy on how the returns work in them.

Renamed it (left) and routed it (right)