All times are UTC

Post subject: How Many GB is Ableton Suite 9
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:44 am 

Building a new system with SSD 120Gb for OS/Programs drive, SSD240Gb Kontakt Samples, HDD1Tb 7200 96k/24bit Audio Mixing, HDD3tb 5600 media/backup drive.

So my question is this can you install Ableton 9 Suite program on one drive with the Live Packs on a separate drive? The total install is slated at over 50GB

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: How Many GB is Ableton Suite 9
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:04 am 

miekwave wrote:
Building a new system with SSD 120Gb for OS/Programs drive, SSD240Gb Kontakt Samples, HDD1Tb 7200 96k/24bit Audio Mixing, HDD3tb 5600 media/backup drive.

So my question is this can you install Ableton 9 Suite program on one drive with the Live Packs on a separate drive? The total install is slated at over 50GB

Yes. Live will read your live packs from anywhere, according to the hour-long premier video.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:38 pm 

Absolutely. Go into Preferences and tell it to look for the Library on the path to another drive. I do this currently, having a 120GB SSD on my MBP and it's stock 750GB HD in the optical bay.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:30 pm 

Hey there,

can anybody confirm that Live 9 doesn't let you transfer the core library currently? I would like to move my library from my SSD to another drive (like in Live 8), but I cannot see how I can do it.

Thanks and regards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:16 pm 

Did you figure out how to move the Core Library ?

I moved everything I could to my DATA drive but the Core Library (600M) is still on my C: drive ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:59 am 

To my knowledge you can't move the Core library; its an essential part of the program.

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 9 Suite, Max (for Live) and Reason 6.5.
Blog: SynthFan.info.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:59 am 

Right, I finally read the Ableton FAQ on this:

From the "Where is my Library stored?" FAQ
"
The Core Library contains Live's factory content and can't be changed by the user. It is tied to the Live installation, so you don't need to worry about this.
On Windows, the Core Library is stored under C:\Users\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 9\Resources\Core Library.
"

I've been gaining confidence that it isn't going to grow so I guess I can live with this. Hopefully future releases won't bloat this directory too much. I'll have to increase the size of my OS partition :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:19 pm 

Blurr wrote:
From the "Where is my Library stored?" FAQ
"
The Core Library contains Live's factory content and can't be changed by the user. It is tied to the Live installation, so you don't need to worry about this.
On Windows, the Core Library is stored under C:\Users\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 9\Resources\Core Library.
"

Totally mind boggling, especially considering that this directory doesn't exist in Windows 7.

There is of course "C:\ProgramData\Ableton\" yet on my system this only contains "Live 8.2.1" and "Live 8.2.2". Seems some of the old Live installers didn't clean up their mess back then.

Another place for common data is "C:\Program Files\Common Files\" yet this also doesn't have a folder called "Ableton".

On my system the core library sits in the program folder. And I'm pretty sure the same applies to some other users as well. So, the folder where you installed Live to. This will contain a sub-folder called "Resources" and that one contains "Core Library".

Its been a while since I used it, but to my knowledge Windows 8 doesn't apply changes in software location. Not 100% sure, but to my knowledge the same applies there; C:\Users\ProgramData doesn't exist.

This really looks very sloppy on the part of Ableton IMVHO.

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 9 Suite, Max (for Live) and Reason 6.5.
Blog: SynthFan.info.