Stems or full mastered tracks for live set/performance?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Stems of tracks or full mastered tunes?

Stems.
100%
Full mix mastered tunes.
No votes

Total votes: 9

Rajstah

Stems or full mastered tracks for live set/performance?

Post by Rajstah » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:58 am

I'm finding myself a bit on doubt about which one is the most practice yet dynamic way to build and spin a live set.
I produce Drum'n Bass.

On my previous set I was using only the bounce of every single element/track, without mastering processors on the stemed tracks.
Placing all the stems of every tune, on the grid of ableton, divided by categories (drums 1/2, bass sub, reece, keys/pads, atmos, choir/vox, fx), all bussed thru different groups and routings and ending on a premaster channel where I placed my "gentle" mastering processors with comp, light eq and a very little of limiter to avoid clipping before to go into the external mixer/PA.

My current set it will be for a 150', and I would love to play and mix tunes from other established artistes in a DJ style, but with Live manipulation.

As my stems are not mastered ( and the mastering chain is obviously a gentle and general squeeze, not specific), the other tracks they sounds much louder and detailed compared and mixed with my tunes.
I found that using a three pole EQ and a gain control for each buss (virtual deck A, B, C), it gives me a good live control on matching the levels and freqs while mixing, although, the channel often goes in red but not huge distorcion is audible.

I was wandering if someone in here had to deal for the same or similar situation.

In conclusion, which formats will you go for your live performance? Stems? Full mastered version?

Tarekith

Re: Stems or full mastered tracks for live set/performance?

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:13 am

I go for stems myself, if you're playing on a rig live, then you don't have to worry about volume, it'll be loud enough as long as you're somewhat sensible in the signal level you send the pa. If you're mixing in mastered material, just turn that stuff down until it sounds better when mixed with your stuff. I use the Clip Volume controls for this.

Rajstah

Post by Rajstah » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:10 am

Tarekith wrote:I go for stems myself, if you're playing on a rig live, then you don't have to worry about volume, it'll be loud enough as long as you're somewhat sensible in the signal level you send the pa. If you're mixing in mastered material, just turn that stuff down until it sounds better when mixed with your stuff. I use the Clip Volume controls for this.
Thanks for the reply.
With that you'll recommend to keep all levels down in a way to don't let the buss channels to saturate?

It's weird how the EQ three of live, settled to 0db gains, boost the peak meter of the track over 2 db. It is actually quite annoying.

Is it normal to have some stuff saturating on a live?
To my ears even if the meters goes up to +4 (peak) it doesn't really gives big impression of distorcion or saturation.
But probably on a rig will affect the punch?

Will your advice be to select all the millions of clips on the set and pull all theirs clip gain down for a 3 or 4 db?
Better to lose a bit of db on output rather than saturate?

Eventful

Post by Eventful » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:26 pm

I have a simple, gentle mastering chain on the Master track.
BUT THEN.
I have a Sausage Fattener MIDI mapped to a knob that I always have on hand, so I can tweak it in real time to what sounds good.
funken wrote: The whipping must put air in and this stops it exploding.

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:56 pm

Rajstah wrote:Is it normal to have some stuff saturating on a live?
No, best avoided unless intentional. I personally turn down all clips by 6dB at least. You don't lose anything by turning down a bit, as PAs can easily be turned up.

Rajstah

Post by Rajstah » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:04 pm

Sage wrote:
Rajstah wrote:Is it normal to have some stuff saturating on a live?
No, best avoided unless intentional. I personally turn down all clips by 6dB at least. You don't lose anything by turning down a bit, as PAs can easily be turned up.
I'll follow up your advice then.,. Sounds convincing. Thanks.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:27 pm

With that you'll recommend to keep all levels down in a way to don't let the buss channels to saturate?

>>>I recommend that yes. <<<

It's weird how the EQ three of live, settled to 0db gains, boost the peak meter of the track over 2 db. It is actually quite annoying.

>>>EQ3 is not a very nuetral sounding EQ, it affects the audio even when all the gains are set to 0dB. I made a copy of it using EQ8 that does not have this issue, you can download it here (called EQ3.8):

http://tarekith.com/assets/TarekithDJEFXv8.5.zip

<<<

>>> No, it's not normal, that's why Live's meters turn red when you go over 0dB. <<<

To my ears even if the meters goes up to +4 (peak) it doesn't really gives big impression of distorcion or saturation.

>>> It depends on which meters. Technically it's almost impossible to clip the channel meters, they have enough headroom built in to accomidate the occasional over. So really the only place you can clip and cause distortion is if the master channel meter is showing red. That said, just because Ableton built in a safety net on the individual tracks, doesn't mean you should rely on that instead of following good audio enginnering practices when it comes to your levels. <<<

Will your advice be to select all the millions of clips on the set and pull all theirs clip gain down for a 3 or 4 db?

>>>IMVHO yes. <<<

Rajstah

Post by Rajstah » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:26 pm

Tarekith wrote:With that you'll recommend to keep all levels down in a way to don't let the buss channels to saturate?

>>>I recommend that yes. <<<

>>>EQ3 is not a very nuetral sounding EQ, it affects the audio even when all the gains are set to 0dB. I made a copy of it using EQ8 that does not have this issue, you can download it here (called EQ3.8):

http://tarekith.com/assets/TarekithDJEFXv8.5.zip

<<<

>>> No, it's not normal, that's why Live's meters turn red when you go over 0dB. <<<

>>> It depends on which meters. Technically it's almost impossible to clip the channel meters, they have enough headroom built in to accomidate the occasional over. So really the only place you can clip and cause distortion is if the master channel meter is showing red. That said, just because Ableton built in a safety net on the individual tracks, doesn't mean you should rely on that instead of following good audio enginnering practices when it comes to your levels. <<<

>>>IMVHO yes. <<<
Best answer so far!
I was having a feel of all of that, I just was looking for confirmation from external brains... lol
Very much appreciated your support!
Ah... Happy nu year, abletoners!!!!!!