All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Can't Afford Live 9 Suite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:43 am 

affordable or not, the thing is fekkn expensive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:56 am 

Expensive yes, but so is the new Macbook pro I just know I'm going to need too. Wonder what that trilogy (Mac, upgrade and Push) will be worth a few years down the track. Maybe I should just stick to the guitar.LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:38 am 

I'm sure that I could make it happen and was initially prepared to make the leap to suite. But after the price adjustment (100% increase!!!), I decided it seemed a little steep. The price increase may or may not have been fair but simply the way they went about it didn't sit well with me. I emailed ableton and asked them about it and to their credit they tried to work something out but I'm still not mentally prepared to dish out for it. More out of general principle.

And Push is very very pricey, imo. It's about what I paid for my last car!

FWIW, I thought the upgrade path from standard 7-9 was fair and will gladly pay for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:42 am 

dhilsabeck wrote:

LOL! Either cars are really cheap where you live or it was an old clapped out clunker, because that's all I would get if I spent $600 on a car here!

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:48 am 

artpunk wrote:
dhilsabeck wrote:

LOL! Either cars are really cheap where you live or it was an old clapped out clunker, because that's all I would get if I spent $600 on a car here!

1991 Subaru Justy. No AC, no stereo and a bunch of other cosmetic damage, but it started every time and ran like a dream. And that fucker held it's value when I sold it. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:48 pm 

I tend to hold off until last minute to upgrade. That said, with the amount of new software that I have and the frequency of upgrades, it could become extremely expensive. I've now started to hold back unless there is some serious deal. As an early adopter, I have previously spend the first 3-6months troubleshooting issues with the software (Ableton/Sonar/Cubase) and waiting for patches to come out, it's a right pain in the ass and no good for productivity, sure as hell ain't no fun.

If it were a vehicle or any other material object, we'd be straight back to the place of purchase and it would be sorted in short time or a refund.
Unfortunately it's a different kettle of fish with the software world, buy now, get fixes when they get round to it....
The resale value is tripe, unlike with money invested in guitars, old synths, cars and such, kept in good condition and when in demand can fetch much more on times than they cost at the original point of purchase.

The switching of upgrade price from what was first posted has put me off even more, I will probably upgrade some point later down the line, but to basically hike the prices after users were pretty much wallets out and ready, was a bum deal. Kinda like going to a car dealership, seeing a nice car for £1000 hen going back later to find it's been bumped up to £2000 because there was so much interest in it, as if it was almost too cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:01 pm 

Live 9 suite comes with M4L onboard, and I would be very surprised, and pissed off to notice, that the price didn't increase. After all lots of people payed quite a sum for it as a standalone.

On the other hand - Push is, as said, a piece of hardware made by Akai, and the retailing it by Ableton in a special offer is nothing new: check the APC40, UC33 and a bunch of other HW that was been shipped with Ableton in the last few years.

What is pissing me off though, is that Ableton has kind short memory: 6 or 7 years is not a big deal for a good hardware, but it seems that the software market tries to force the customers to intense the buying - the idea we all experience on the market in general, but - come on - music instruments and hardware is not a part of the ordinary customer market, so there is simply no reason to stop supporting the old machines.

As for the L3 to L9 - nothing strange imho in the price differences: the L3 is not the same software - lots of changes, quite a few years since L3 was introduced (8, 10 years?).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:35 pm 

They should do away with the Suite altogether and make it the price of Live. Compared to it's competitors is very expensive when it comes to feature and add ons.
This past week I had an opportunity to upgrade Sonar X1 Producer to X2 for $79.
All of my FL Studio upgrade are free.
Upgrade to Reason 6 for $169 is like getting Reason and Record.
Studio One is awesome. Full license less than Ableton.
Reaper is super cheap, stable and money saved could be used on plugins.

Live is unique but eventually it will lose much of it's market to the hobbyist to other DAWs. Even Pro Tools realized there was a market and isn't as proprietary as it use to be.