help with a phono preamp

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bartend7

help with a phono preamp

Post by bartend7 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi

So I've been making some samples from vinyl using a Numark Stereo usb i/o. Everything works fine when using the usb cable. I would however like to output from the phono preamp into my fast track ultra. right now i'm trying to connect using a RCA to dual 1/4 ". I cant get any signal from the output of the numark into the fast track ultra. If anyone can help that would be great. Maudio and Numarks forums are completely useless.

be tonal

Re: help with a phono preamp

Post by be tonal » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Might be the wrong tool, i don´t see the Numark being able to act as a standalone preamp. That´s what you need.

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:53 pm

What specific Numark product do you have?

If the turntable has RCA phono (red and white) jacks then there are one of two scenarios.

Turntable RCA Phone Out x 2 -> RCA to 1/4" cables ->Audio Interface inputs x 2

Or

Turntable RCA Phone Out x 2 -> Phono preamp to both boost signal and apply RIAA curve -> RCA to 1/4" cables ->Audio Interface inputs x 2

It just depends on your turntable

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:37 am

It seems that the Numark Stereo I/O only outputs "line" not "phono". bummer.

Post by 102455 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:03 pm

RCA connectors are also called phono connectors - which can cause confusion because the word "phono" is also used to describe an input for a turntable.

So it's possible to have "line phonos" - the phono referring to the RCA connections, not the signal level.

Inserting the word "level" helps! If your Numark preamp has line level phono/RCA outputs then you can feed those into the Fast Track.

As has been mentioned though (plus I've just read the Numark manual) it would seem that you can't use the Numark for a "through signal", just to amplify your deck and send it to the Numark outputs. I guess it just sends the inputs to the computer, and/or outputs from the computer. There's no link directly from the input to the output.